PDA

View Full Version : Attention Ohio casters and shooters...

lead-1
05-29-2009, 05:09 AM
Any casters and shooters here from Ohio? I am on the eastern side and was wondering where the good casting supply stores are? Or any in Ohio for that matter.

StrawHat
05-29-2009, 05:58 AM
I don't know of any store front that has a good supply of molds or lead. Mostly I mail order molds and buy my leadand tin locally, when I can find it.

Sometimes you can find molds at the gun shows but that is often a lot of time spent looking at piles of stuff no one wants.

Shepherd2
05-29-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't know of any. Most of my moulds have come from mail order, eBay and forums like this. Alloy comes from tire shops and scrap dealers. I recall seeing one boolit mould in a gun shop and that was back in the mid 70s. I still have it.

Keep your eyes open at gun shows and flea markets. I was at that monthly gun show in Medina a few years back and one older gentlemen had dozens of moulds.

TAWILDCATT
05-29-2009, 07:53 AM
when I lived in Mass the shows usually had molds and loading supplies.there was a man with hundreds of molds.I dont think the south and west had that many reloaders.so the goods are not there.a lot of the big dealers go to the northern states,thats where the money is. :coffee:[smilie=1:

DragoonDrake
05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I midwayusa and rotometals must of my gear. I work at a gunshop. What does that tell you?
Adam

mag44uk
05-29-2009, 11:01 AM
F and M are near Dayton I believe.
Tony

Lee
05-29-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm 10 miles from Andover, Pymatuning Lake, OH

Anyone else care to call out a more specific location?

Would help if a member stumbles on a big score, looking to share.......

richbug
05-29-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm 10 miles from Andover, Pymatuning Lake, OH

Anyone else care to call out a more specific location?

Would help if a member stumbles on a big score, looking to share.......

I'm 40 minutes east of you in PA.

Firebricker
05-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Cabelas is about 40 minutes east of St Clairsville, OH they don't have a lot for casting but they
have a decent amount of reloading supplys. There's signs for it as soon as you get into WV.
I don't know how far you are from Ashland, OH Fin Feather & Fur has lee and some Lyman
moulds and usaully stock lee lead pots. For most of your casting your probably better just to
order from midway or one of the other big sites on the web. FB

Aegis
05-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Nothing around here. Hard enough finding reloading supplies without getting ripped off.

Johnch
05-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Just outside Toledo myself

Mail order mainly
As the local Gunshow is a total joke
And most of the local gunshops don't carry casting supplys

John

HBAR2989
05-29-2009, 09:46 PM
My moulds are mostly mail order. I'm in southern summit co.

jcw1970
05-30-2009, 10:11 AM
A little south of Columbus. Gander mountain has some stuff. Way overpriced though.

mroliver77
05-31-2009, 08:54 PM
1/2 hr West of Toledo up the "Scenic" Maumee river. Little hereabouts. As Johnch says, local gunshows a joke. Cabellas in Dundee MI has some but not much.
Jay

jonk
06-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Painesville, not too far from you.

For black powder, Log Cabin Gun Shop in Lodi has a good selection for all your casting needs.

For smokeless, Atlantic Gun and Tackle has some stuff but not a large selection.

Lee
06-03-2009, 01:36 PM
jonk, I'll keep ya in mind in case I ever score big. I talked to 2 people who DIDN'T go to the Ashtabula gun show at K. Rose Party Center last weekend. Both of them talked to unhappy looking people exiting the building. Story was the same, lots of carnival glass and replica German daggers. No ammo, No powder, No primers, No lead, some guns, many overpriced.... So they saved their $5, turned around and went home. Glad I didn't waste gas to make the trip............

j23
06-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Im in the northern panhandle of West Virginia... I could tell you the town, but most likely, almost all of you have heard of our famous attraction, Mountaineer Race Track and Resort, yay. I can hit both OH and PA with a rock.

Other than Cabela's overpriced and understocked reloading/casting section in Wheeling, I do most of my ordering from the mail order giants.

There are a few local shops, The Gun Room in Chester, WV, who usually carries a pretty decent reloading component supplies and Big G's in Newell, WV, but like everyone else, they are out of most everything during our current 'crisis.'

lead-1
06-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I actually went the mail order route because Midway had a few items in stock for once and at reasonable prices compaired to what some people asked on auction and for sale ads.
I ordered me a LEE 160 grain rifle mold, plastic gears for my LEE turret press, a tub of MICA and some .30 cal gas checks. I found a thermometer locally so little by little I'm getting ready to actually start trying to make boolits.

Cherokee
06-04-2009, 08:29 AM
There is a man at the Medina gun shows, name is Ed, that has bullet molds, lead/alloys and used reloading equipement for sale. I have bought some from him over the years but most of my molds I got years ago or are mail ordered. Lead is local scrap yard.

j23
06-04-2009, 09:15 PM
When is the next Medina show? ...and is it worth going?? I generally hit the Niles, Ohio and Berea, Ohio shows, and generally I am impressed. Niles is my favorite, though Berea is oftentimes larger. I get to talk to Lou Sellman at the Niles show, and usually give him money. I bought my favorite rifle of all time from him, a Winny 92, 25-20. I love that freaking gun. Lou is a pretty good guy.

I have a cousin who lives in Medina and operates a Vet Clinic there with her husband. Small world.

lead-1
06-04-2009, 11:33 PM
I always liked the Medina show until it got so full that people felt the need to stick their elbow in your ear and stink to the high heavens. I do know the guy your talking about, I think, he is set up right inside the door and to the right.
I heard the the last show wasn't so packed and a little less congested in the aisles. Next show is June 13-14.

jonk
06-05-2009, 09:22 AM
I think the guy at medina is straight to the back when you walk in, just to the right of the far wall emergency exit.

lead-1
06-06-2009, 12:40 AM
OK, that must be the guy that I have bought some used reloading stuff from.
The older gentleman and his wife.