PDA

View Full Version : 7mag and 145-SIL GC... again

aletheuo
05-28-2009, 04:33 PM
For those that helped this newbie with my previous load advice thread, thank you. I've just loaded up a few last night, haven't shot them but have a couple questions:

I bought some prefab 7mm-145-sil boolits that i'm putting in my 7mag. (yes, I know not ideal but it's what I've got)
So I lubed up a bunch with 1lb parrafin, 1lb beeswax, 1/2 jug stp mix and that appears to be great but a few questions when I went to seat them.

1) the gas checks on these boolits appear loose on some boolits. they usually just twist around but don't fall off unless I pull at them - is this a problem? Some actually have fallen off but only maybe 50 of the 800. I don't have any equipment to reseat these either. Is this normal?

2) when seating I didn't get the gas check to be in the case neck because the distance form the top band to GC is larger than the case neck. ie/ I'm concerned that the GC will pop off when the boolit exits - in fact I'm pretty sure that's what will happen. Maybe I should just seat them out so only the bottom band and the GC are in the case neck so all pressure pushes on the GC? Not sure they'll fit in my magazine then, though. And it would seem kinda unstable like that, too. Any advice appreciated. Maybe these boolits need a longer necked case?

Thanks a bunch,
Aleth

Blammer
05-28-2009, 04:48 PM
It sounds like you just got naked bullets and need to apply lube and crimp on the gas check.
I'm confusted some more details may help.
welcome, no normally the GC's are on and they don't move at all.

How did you lube the bullets?

Did you run the bullets through a sizer? sounds like you may have just "snapped" the gc's on the bullets. you'll need to 'crimp' them on.

Normally when a bullet is lubed it's run through a sizer of some sort, and at that time (same operation) the gas check is applied.

aletheuo
05-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Sorry - they were purchased as-is from a guy who purchased them from Competiton Bullets Inc. in Edmonton, Alberta. The company seems to be out of business. They should be ready-to-go.

The boolits came covered in moly, seated gas checks and they are sized to 284 on the driving bands. Nose is a little bigger than bore-rider size, if I recall.

Did they screw up to have loose fitting GC's or has time changed something perhaps? They could be 10 years old for all I know.

runfiverun
05-29-2009, 11:27 AM
i would definately not seat loose fitting g/c's below the case neck.
if you can get them into the neck the 145 should still feed fine,the 7mag wil feed a 175 so a long seated 145 should do okay.
even at that single feeding is just fine.
the 145 seems to be a bit finicky about seating depth in most of my rifles so you might need to mess with the seating depth for best accuracy.