PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 40 - Anyone seen one yet?

trooperdan
03-07-2006, 01:14 PM
I've been looking for about a year or so and they are still on allocation. This is the single-shot with Accutrigger in .22 Hornet. Is Savage really making any ? Would be lovely if Wally World would put it on their list; maybe they have enought clot to actually get some.

Urny
03-08-2006, 12:50 AM
I've been interested in one of those, too. It's either that or the CZ Hornet or .222. Dissimilar rifles for different purposes, but there you have it. I wonder when the Savage will be easily available.

9.3X62AL
03-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Urny--

Did ya see the Savage M-40 at the BRGS? One seller had one displayed, and my impression was that it was a pretty good rifle for the price. I think I would opt for the CZ-527 if the Hornet bug bites again, but the Savage is certainly a usable rifle, and significantly less money than the CZ. Aesthetically, the Accu-Trigger looks like a soup sandwich.......but beauty is as beauty does. I'll withhold judgement until some real-world firing gets done by people I trust--folks on this board, for example.

Urny
03-25-2006, 10:09 AM
I saw it, I did. The guy brought more than one to the show and the one we saw Sunday was the only one left. He let Linda and I both try the trigger, our first experience with the Accu-Trigger, and it was pretty nice. Very light, crisp, minimal movement. He was selling for $365 and I was sorely tempted, but Linda was still thinking about that Winchester Model 54 Hornet that would have deformed the family budget. I chickened out and did not buy, but probably should have.

The same dealer had an old Sako, an L461 I think, in .222 Remington that was mighty pleasing, too.

We should have bought that Model 40, doggone it.

Frank46
04-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Nope you shoulda bought the sako, then later the savage. These are single shots
right?. maybe savage could make up some in 25-20 or 32-20. Now that would be interesting. Frank

Urny
04-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Probably so, Frank. The Sako was twice as much money, but probably worth it. Always have had a weakness for the old Sako's with an L in the name. The Savage is a single shot, but for its' purpose that isn't much of a disadvantage. I don't suppose it would be real hard to convert a single shot bolt action to .25-20 or .32-20. That would be interesting.

Buckshot
04-01-2006, 10:21 AM
................Not to de-rail the Savage thread, or to make Urny feel bad about not getting it, but Deputy Al and I have a mutual friend (Ron) who has a Win M54 in twice two Hornet. It's been exceedingly accurate for him with most anything he's shot in it. That runs the gamut from pulled 22 RF slugs over 1/2gr of Bullseye and 22 pellets in drilled out Hornet cases with Sr MAG primers, to caseloads of WC844. Shoots cast at 100 yards almost as well as jacketed and at close to the same speed.

...............Buckshot

Urny
04-01-2006, 10:31 PM
You don't have to make me feel bad about it, Rick. I'll take care of that end myself.

I traded my M54 Hornet for the Mannlicher Schoenaur (?) .270 I hunt with now. The Savage 23D was much more accurate, but the M54 had a feel that is hard to beat. Feels good in the hands and at the shoulder.