PDA

View Full Version : opinions for my 30-30

atr
05-27-2009, 09:36 PM
I have a late 1930's model winchester 30-30 lever....in excellent condition
That vintage model did NOT have the receiver drilled and tapped for a peep sight.
I was thinking about having that done, the receiver drilled and tapped and installing a better sight than the one on now.
BUT I hesitate because something in my "gut" tells me not to mess with such an old classic and not to modify it in this way.

I do shoot this at 100 yards with the open sights , but I have found on my other rifles that a peep improves my accuracy. To improve accuracy is my reason for drilling and tapping and installing different sights

Your thoughs would be appreciated.......

pietro
05-27-2009, 09:45 PM
A used/excellent condition rifle is not the same as one that's "as NIB", with hanging tags, etc - and would be expected to have been D/T'd for, and a side peep added, at some time in it's service life.

So, my $0.02 - If you spend the $$$, and put a vintage, all-steel peep, like a Lyman or Redfield on it, it certainly won't detract from it's present value, and may even add a bit, in appeal if not in cash.

MtGun44
05-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Pietro is right. If you find a sight that is in about the same condition as the rifle, and was
available at the time it was made or thereabouts, I can't see it hurting the value.

Consider two rifles in a gunshop rack side by side. One is like yours, one is the same but
has a quality old peep sight, nicely installed and it looks like has been there "forever".
No real way to tell when the peep was installed since it is of the same era and the patina
is about the same. . . . .

Which would YOU pay more for?

Now, how about a nice 1930s W94 with a spanking new aluminum peep sight, mounted just a little
bit crooked by a basement gun butcher. . . . . . YIKES!

Bill

Hurricane
05-27-2009, 10:53 PM
If this rifle is a "shooter" and not just trading inventory, I would say to drill and tap it to accept a quality receiver sight. It will serve you better and you will like it more if you improve the sights.

Don McDowell
05-27-2009, 11:06 PM
That rifle should be drilled and tapped for the tang sights. Both Lyman and Marbles offer their old tang sights.
A 1930's Stoeger's catalog shows that for a few dollars over the cost of the rifle, they would install one of the reciever sights before shipping it to you.

Denver
05-28-2009, 08:05 AM
If the tang is not drilled and tapped, it would only require one new hole for the Marble tang sight. The other hole uses the stock bolt. The Marble is adjustable for windage and elevation, the Lyman has only elevation adjustment. FWIW I would NOT d&t the receiver.

Denver

atr
05-28-2009, 09:28 AM
the tang is not drilled and tapped for this model......
I'm tending toward Denver's idea of a tang sight

and Bill, Pietro, I would NEVER put a cheesy half-assed sight on any gun....your concerns are well taken

thanks guys

Slow Elk 45/70
05-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I think we are talking about a shooter here, dill it and use the sights you like. You are not devaluing a mint piece of history. IMHO , I have several older Marlin and Winnies that I shoot, if they need modification , I modify them. The gun is not worth enough money to worry about, I would rather enjoy it while I can.[smilie=1:

FromTheWoods
06-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Don't drill!

You will find that a tang sight is just what you need. It will likely shoot more accurately than you can. Might even be more comfortable/quicker to use than the receiver mounted peep.

A vintage Marble W1 tang sight with the two screws that hold it on the tang is what you need for your model '94. eBay usually has a couple for sale. They go for $110 to $170 usually. Be certain to buy one that has the aperture included.

Your tang should already have the holes you need. There are two screws on it. The rear screw passes through to the lower tang. The front screw is just a plug. You remove these screws, and when you mount the tang sight on it, you will need slightly longer screws to secure the sight than are currently in the tang.

I prefer the Marble over the Lyman. The Marble has a spring system that when the sight is slightly depressed, it pops up into shooting position--good for hunting.
The Lyman is not so quick for me to use.

Bret4207
06-04-2009, 08:23 AM
There were over 6 MILLION '94's made IIRC. As was said, unless it's a special model or in "NIB" condition I'd upgrade the sighting equipment.

6.5 mike
06-08-2009, 02:45 AM
+1 for the marbles. They are adjustable for windage & elevation, I have one on my 99 savage & have been very happy with it. Watch the midway adds, they do run these on sale, saved about $25 when I got mine.

6pt-sika
06-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Granted your Winchester 94 is not MY rifle .

But with my "older" rifles I DO NOT remove ANY metal PERIOD !

One things for damn sure they are not making ANYMORE Pre 64 Model 94's !

So when you remove metal it's kinda hard to replace it ! And if I were purchasing that rifle from you , those holes would detract from the value to me !

Jon K
06-08-2009, 03:14 AM
I agree with From the Woods on this one your rifle should already have a hole with the plug screw for a tang sight in it. Marbles and Lyman sights were available when new. From what I gather is that they didn't quit drilling and tapping for the tang sight until 1947, so unless you got one an emplyee bought out of the factory, all were drilled & tapped. Employees were allowed to get it finished in configuration and whatever sights they wanted. If you drill & tap the one hole in the tang, it would be the same as the others manufactured til 1947.

Jon

357maximum
06-08-2009, 03:40 AM
Drill it, tap it for whatever you want.......live happily ever after...IMHO you are/would be doing what SHOULD have been done in the first place.