PDA

View Full Version : 94 Winchester 30/30 'Classic.'

Four Fingers of Death
03-07-2006, 06:13 AM
I was driving down to my bro in laws place the other day and dropped into the closest gunshop. Lo and behold I saw the above commemorative which was used, but in excellent condition.

It had a longer (24" I suppose, didn't think to measure it) octagonal Bbl, good wood, what looked like a dull pewter forend cap and the action was framed in an engraved pattern (stamped I think, not real flash, but bearable). On the rhs of the Bbl near the receiver ring it had 'fancy' writing saying Winchester 1894 Classic or words to that effect.

I had the wife waiting in the car an she hasn't been well lately and I was heading to an important engagment (my bro in law and fellow wine drinker had invited me to join him in a personal development exercise to expand our selves, our knowledge and our whatevers and attend a 'beer appreciation dinner.' This selfless effort on our part was sponsored by the Australian barley Board and our biggest brewer and malter. The lengths we go to to expand our knowledge and support worthy industry bodies).

I had a 350 mile drive in front of me, so after a quick examination, I plonked down $50 and will return and sort the details out later.

Has anybody had any experience with these?

9.3X62AL
03-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Mick--

I have a quasi-similar Win 94, lacking the pewter fore end cap and labeling, and with 20" round barrel and the scrollworked receiver. It's a post-'64/pre-Angle Eject variant lacking a safety, so 2 out of 3 wasn't bad.....I snagged it about 10 years ago, and have enjoyed it immensely. It does decent work with cast, and can run 170 grain J-words into "minute of mule deer" at 150 yards easily.

Four Fingers of Death
03-08-2006, 03:14 AM
I must ring the guy and get him to describe it better or email me a pic. I don't know if it was pewter, sorta looked metallic and grey and I forgot to check it out after first noticing it.

Buckshot
03-08-2006, 03:56 AM
I must ring the guy and get him to describe it better or email me a pic. I don't know if it was pewter, sorta looked metallic and grey and I forgot to check it out after first noticing it.

...............I don't know how it's done, but they call if French Grey. Sounds like a nice rifle.

I'm glad to hear that you are supporting indeginous industry :) So much is going to China these days. Pround of you for sucking it up and paying the price!

How was your head afterwards? Was your wife embarassed at any point?

..............BUckshot

Four Fingers of Death
03-08-2006, 09:14 AM
...............I don't know how it's done, but they call if French Grey. Sounds like a nice rifle.

I'm glad to hear that you are supporting indeginous industry :) So much is going to China these days. Pround of you for sucking it up and paying the price!

How was your head afterwards? Was your wife embarassed at any point?

..............BUckshot

thats an old aussie saying. No I pulled up ok, gave the wife $50 and pointed her at the dining room and the poker (slot) machines. Believe it or not she ran out of coins just as we came out. Talk about timing.

Funny thing is that wine drinkers match the wine to the dish being consumed, but beer drinkers generall just drink their favourite beer. They demonstrated how to match the flavours of different beers to the food. Great concept.

Spent the next day at the Temora Aviation Museum bi monthly flying day. They restore and fly old warbirds. They had a Supermarine Spitfire and lots of WW2 and Vietman era Yankee planes. They are currently restoring a ex Australian Airforce Korean War Meteor.

Rounded the day off cooking a bar b q for the big brass band from the aussie army recruit training base which is near there. They put on a show beside the lake as the sun set, playing Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller and lots of Jazz and swing. Great weekend and I ended up with a new rifle. On the way back on Monday I went into the country town where I bought a 1936 MAS and a Remington Mosin-Nagant a few weeks earlier and handed over the permits and took them home! It doesn't get much better than that. The Musty Nugget won't fit in the safe, it's too long, my gun dealer friend is minding it for me until I work something out.

Got an invite to shoot hares when I'm down that way next time.

Four Fingers of Death
03-09-2006, 04:34 AM
Dang it! I saw one advertised for almost half the price today. Bound to be a roughy, too scared to ring up and ask.