PDA

View Full Version : USFA Single Actions, Opinions?

Dutch4122
05-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Been looking a lot lately at the USFA website; and considering saving up my loot for one of their single actions. Just wanted to get some opinions from those who own or have used them. Although I'm not into CAS I would appreciate any opinions about the accuracy and ruggedness of these thumb-busters. How well do they stand up to a lot of use compared to the Ruger New Vaquero?

Thanks in advance,

ChuckS1
05-27-2009, 08:05 PM
i have a Pre-War in .45 Colt and it's the prettiest gun I own, I think. I shoot a lot of 454190s and 8.0 grains of Unique in mine and its holding up very well. Very accurate - I can get sub 2" groups off a rest at 25 yards.

August
05-27-2009, 08:18 PM
May I suggest you acquire your pistol(s) from Longhunter as he throws in the gunsmithing for free on SA models. His work results in a race ready gun with modern, wire springs, opened forcing cones, trigger work, hammer relief, and sight channel enlargement. All things you'll want to do eventually.

The USFA gunz are the best I own. Precise, accurate, well fitted, dependable. In every way, they are superior to my rooogers. The roogers are tanks, never quite give you a sense of confidence or precision, and don't need to be cleaned very often. The USFA gunz are like fine watches, give you extreme confidence in your shooting, but need to be cleaned to stay beautiful.

There really is no comparison between roogers and the USFA gunz. It's like saying a PT Cruiser and a Mercedes SL 500 are both cars because they both have four wheels and gas tanks. If I'm in a hurry, don't have time to reload, don't want to have to clean up the next day, then the roogers come in very handy. I like 'em for their lack of fussyness. If I'm going to a big match, have time to prepare, and am ready to be in the zone for a few days, the USFA gunz get the nod. They never miss -- although, I sometimes have.

cajun shooter
05-27-2009, 09:03 PM
I will give a huge +1 on the post by August. Jim Finch aka Longhunter will sell you a USFA Premium for $900 . That is the same as the factory list and it has all the work done. Be prepared for a 12-16 week delay if you order the Premium as it first goes to Doug Turnbull for the case coloring. I just got off the phone with him this evening to order the match to my gun that is almost ready. See his site at Long Hunter Supply. The Rodeo is the same gun but with a matte finish. The USFA guns are made in the old Colt factory and have a better fit than the current Colts. They hold their own in the price dept also. The eary models were built with some Uberti parts but are now all American. They are catching up with Colt as the gun to own. He has a pair of Premium 4 3/4 in bbls models in stock and ready to go if you want that length bbl. They won't be there for long! Later David

FN in MT
06-06-2009, 12:42 AM
I've got a 5 1/2" pre war that I sent out and had Ivory grips fitted. One of my absolute FAVORITE handguns. I've shot well over 1K rds through mine in the past two years. With zero issues.

Liked it so much, but hated to beat it UP....so ended up buying a Rodeo in .38 Spcl as an ATV/carry on the tractor pistol. I expected the Rodeo to be a real step down as it's far cheaper than the pre-wars. I was mistaken. Fit, finish and accuracy are certainly up to HIGH standards.

I'm VERY impressed with the USFA's.

FN in MT

Shootn
06-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I have a Rodeo in .45 Colt that I love. Great shooter. I fit some ivory micarta grips to mine and polished the finish up a bit.

Derek

45 2.1
06-08-2009, 02:03 PM
The USFA Rodeos are an excellent handgun. Bring some WWs and you'll get to shoot one for awhile.

Thumbcocker
06-08-2009, 07:23 PM
I shot a friends 4 5/8" with the acp cylinder with lymad 452460's (200 swc) over 6.0 of 231 and it was scary accurate. 4 out of 5 in an itty bitty cluster. As usual I saw a good group forming and flubbed the last shot. The cylinder seemed very tight as boolits larger than .452 would not chamber. Fit and finish were outstanding. I was impressed.

Shootn
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Mine is very tight also. VERY uniform chambers and a tight cylinder gap. It is my most accurate single-action revolver. I have several Blackhawks, but the Rodeo gets carried in the field more.

A lot of people say they don't like the matte finish, but I took some lead removing cloth and rubbed mine down with it. I now has a soft, smooth look to it.

Derek

runfiverun
06-09-2009, 01:26 PM
i have a pair of the rodeos, and i am starting to wear some of the finish off them.
the serial numbers are in the 3 didgit range.
they are damn accurate for a gun with groove sights.
i could tell them apart when i first got them but after a bunch of rounds through them they have smoothed out even more, and i bet the trigger pulls are within a quarter lb easily.

kir_kenix
06-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I think I'm going to snag a rodeo up as well next week. I've been looking for an accurate field gun, and everything I've read about them so far has been positive. Nothing wrong with my Rugers, but something a bit more traditional with a good trigger is just what I'm after. Can't go wrong with another .45 right?