PDA

View Full Version : Tallow?

jdgabbard
05-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Alright, I'm not very knowing of the how-to on Tallow. Anyone got a good how-to on rendering it? Or should I just buy it off Feebay for $10 for 5lbs?

montana_charlie
05-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't know how, but Google does...

How to render tallow (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=How+to+render+tallow&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=)

CM

jdgabbard
05-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Was kinda hoping for something with pictures. But I guess google will have to do...

mroliver77
05-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I dont know about tallow but with lard(pig fat) I just cook it in a pot to melt all the greasy stuff. It is nice to have a press but not necesary. Filter it and your ready.
Jay

oldtoolsniper
05-26-2009, 06:30 PM
I dont know about tallow but with lard(pig fat) I just cook it in a pot to melt all the greasy stuff. It is nice to have a press but not necesary. Filter it and your ready.
Jay

That is how I do my skunk fat too.

mroliver77
05-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Ummm, what do you do with skunk fat? My bro in law was quite a traspper when I was a pup. He skinned everything he caught, including skunks and house cats. I was never that passionate about it.
Jay

jdgabbard
05-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Well, unlike lard, apparently when its cooked down, tallow ends up separating itself from the rest of the fat upon cooling.

JIMinPHX
05-26-2009, 08:28 PM
If you follow enough of those google links, eventually you will find pictures & even videos.

oldtoolsniper
05-26-2009, 08:34 PM
I use it as a base for coyote bait.

Shiloh
05-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Why don't use the money to buy lube??

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Shiloh

357maximum
05-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Why don't use the money to buy lube??

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Shiloh

Very likely it is because some people really enjoy making it themselves. Why don't you use your money to simply go and buy ready made ammo? Same question just to a different degree.

I make my own tallow/lube/ammo/boolits....why......cause I just have to, it just feeeeeeels sooooooo goooooooood to make it your own durnself to not make it.

Back on topic...what kind of tallow we talking? I make my own venison tallow and I just deep fry the whole mess in its own juices. let cool.....then..take all the solids hard waxy stuff off the top and render again in boiling water....coool......keep all the good hard wax off the top and throw the slime to the dogs.

windrider919
05-26-2009, 11:55 PM
jdgabbard, just what are you going to use the tallow for? Are you a reinactor making candles? Are you a BP muzzle loader / shooter making patch lube? Or are you trying that old traditional recipe of tallow and kerosene for crotch rot? I make my own (breach loading) bullet lube but do not use tallow because it goes rancid. Once I made the mistake of leaving my Ruger Old Army Cap n ball revolver loaded and with the bullets in the cylinder covered with tallow to prevent chain fire. It seeped back and killed the BP and then I had problems getting the bullets out because there was some corrosive element that locked the bullets in place. Had to pull the nipples and scrape out the BP, add new BP, replace nipple and cap n fire. Furthermore, lots of testing showed there were better substances to base your lube on like bees wax and carnuba if you are filling grease grooves

odoh
05-27-2009, 12:58 AM
About the time we entered HS, Mom decided she had to make her own soap ~ yeh, tallow, lye and washtub and wood for the fire. This was back when staple of TV was soap/deterrgent com'ls. So, starting early in the morning, she would fire it up, grate the brown soap wash the laundry all in the back yard. Dad encouraged it as he liked it for a heavy duty hand soap ~ then came the head cheese ~ ~ ~

Tom Herman
05-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Alright, I'm not very knowing of the how-to on Tallow. Anyone got a good how-to on rendering it? Or should I just buy it off Feebay for $10 for 5lbs?

Sheep Tallow for about $3.50 a pound. That's where I get my tallow for SPG dead ringer.
Good Luck!

-Tom

jdgabbard
05-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Shiloh, $10 is not going to break the bank, or buy a lot of lube. Besides, I do like experimenting with it myself.

Windrider, if using Beeswax in you're lube, it has a open crystaline structure, and storing in the fridge you won't have a lot to worry about when it comes to going rancid. And even if it did, with the open structure of beeswax I don't think you'd have anything to worry about as far as smell goes. And I don't think going rancid has any effect on the lube qualities even if it did.

Junior1942
05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Here's a tutorial. http://www.deltablues.net/cracklin.html