PDA

View Full Version : Dumb (?) GC questions

Doc1
05-26-2009, 09:39 AM
I have limited experience as a caster and find this forum to be a wonderful resource, but have been pondering a question related to gas checks.

Guys use paper patching, GCs and other techniques to avoid leading and achieve higher velocities. Some are cutting and forming their own GCs out of copper and AL. I'm using GCs on some of my loads, but haven't tried to make my own yet.

Why would it not be possible to produce a longer and deeper gas check and essentially produce your own half-jacketed bullet - using your own CBs, of course? I have a box of little 115 gr. half-jacketed .30 plinker bullets and, at least at first glance, producing something similar doesn't seem that complicated. I fully understand that it would probably require a special mold and boolet profile.

This seems so obvious that I figger I gotta be missing something. It just seems if you're going to the trouble of crimping on a GC, you might as well crimp on a half-jacket.

Similarly, I have some of the old Remington Accelerator saboted bullets in my stash. Those led me to wonder if it might not be possible to make a PLASTIC half jacket, maybe using soda bottle plastic or something similar.

Any of you more experienced guys have any thoughts?

Best regards
Doc

Wayne Smith
05-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Go down to the Swaging Forum and ask there. I'm sure several have done or tried all of the above.

docone31
05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
That is not as dumb a question as you might suppose.
I have read, considered, pondered, questioned, attempted many different approaches to this. With rifle castings, I paper patch. Simple, effective, inexpensive.
I have seen, castings with drilled out gas checks, and two placed into the mold and cast through. This provided a scraper near the crimpgroove, and base. I have read about twisted wire being cast into the body of the boolitt.
With half jacketeds, as an extended gas check essentially would be, you have material issues.
The aluminum gas checks, as half jackets might be abrasive. Copper might be a good material.
Drawing the copper might either be simple, or comples.
There is a lot more, but I do find paper patching real simple and effective.

runfiverun
05-26-2009, 11:29 AM
lyman used to make molds for the half jacket [they might still]
airc you would epoxy the lead to the jacket.

Echo
05-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Way in the past I bought some swaged half-jacket bullets for my 38-45. Leaded like a champ. I have heard that rap against half-jackets ever since. I guess the problem was that the soft lead used for swaging, coupled with no lube grooves, was the cause. It actually seems to me this is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist...

jdgabbard
05-26-2009, 03:03 PM
My question is, why would you need a half jacket??? Even plain base boolits, if given the right size, lube, and charge won't lead your barrel. Not to mention that lead is easier on your barrel then copper is...

Bret4207
05-27-2009, 07:15 AM
You can do it, but you'll be into some $$$ with specialized dies, etc.

Doc1
05-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Thank you for all of your replies, gentlemen. Thus far, my CBs have all been kept to modest and extremely conventional loadings/velocities. I haven't had leading problems...yet. I've been casting for .45acp. .44 mag and .357 in handguns and .308 and 8mm Mauser in bolt rifles. My handgun CBs have been pushed at modest levels as per the Lyman manual and the rifles have benefited from Harris' "The Load."

I am interested - in future - in pushing the envelope a bit with rifle cartridges, though and assume this will become an issue as velocities approach j-word levels.

Best regards
Doc