PDA

View Full Version : wolff spring kit

casey
05-25-2009, 03:34 PM
:???:Does anybody have a thought on the best weight hammer spring for a Ruger s.a. that is used for hunting.? I am leaning towards the 19# but dont know if this will slow the hammer drop to a point where the gun will become harder to shoot well. It is a Bisley in .45 lc and is a very good shooter with heavy cb loads(.75 inch at 25yrds.) I an also going to put in a 30oz. trigger spring. Any input would be most welcome! Thanks

JesterGrin_1
05-25-2009, 07:14 PM
why not first try the cheap way. Remove the grips and simply take one side of the hammer spring off and let it hang. That might be all you need to do. :)

casey
05-25-2009, 09:28 PM
I have tried that. It just didnt feel right to me. Dont know how to explain it, just didnt like the feel. It didnt seem consistant in feel i guess is the best way to explain it.

dubber123
05-25-2009, 10:59 PM
If you are reasonably handy, it's pretty easy to get a 2# pull on a Ruger SA with full power springs. It does require honing the hammer sear, but it makes a light, crisp trigger. Free too.

swheeler
05-26-2009, 12:36 AM
I installed a 17# mainspring and 30 oz trigger spring Wolf kit in my 357 RBH and it shoots very nice. The trigger breaks at a consistant 26 oz, smooth and clean, nice improvement over factory. Always fires and since the throats are now all close to the same dia it is quite accurate, only problem is the loose nut behind the trigger.

Charlie Sometimes
05-30-2009, 10:26 AM
I have used the 17# Wolf spring kits in several 45 LC Ruger SA's in competition (200 & 255 gr. loads) and for hunting (255, 300, & 325 gr. loads), and have never had any ignition or function problems despite the weather conditions.
The original hammer springs are 23 lb, IIRC. I also use the lighter trigger spring, and heavier cylinder catch spring that comes in the kits, and all function propperly.
For hunting, the heavier hammer spring just makes it harder to cock, unless you've had an action job to smooth out the rough spots. Lock time seems to be a moot point because once you pull the trigger the intended trophy will not know the difference- until impact!