PDA

View Full Version : best scope mout for m1 carbine

bobthenailer
03-06-2006, 07:47 PM
hi guys ! what is the best scope mount for the m1 carbine??? my after market stock has a high combe for scope use. ive been looking at b square but is there any other brand thats better?? thanks bob

bobthenailer
03-15-2006, 09:10 PM
bought a b square mount

versifier
03-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Why would you want to? This is only my opinion, but I have arrived at it honestly. If it makes you happy to scope it, have fun. That is why we shoot, anyway. I'm not trying to put you down, I just can't see any logical reason to do it.
The peep sights are excellent for the functional range, and it is both light and fast handling. Scoping it totally negates the positive points. At any range for which a scope would be useful, the cartridge is useless. It's like putting snow tires on a submarine. The M1 carbine itself is not the most accurate platform out there, and a scope is not going to improve it. I am a big fan of the .30 carb cartridge - it is an excellent short range small game round, and it really comes into its own in a handgun. But even in a handgun it doesn't need a scope. :violin:

waksupi
03-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Bob, I have to agree, that putting a scope on an M1 carbine, is about as useful as tits on a suitcase. It is a short range proposition. I have used one on pack rats, but don't consider it good for any thing bigger. Might not even be sufficient for cats, on a raking angle ( Old African writer term).

StarMetal
03-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Waksupi,

You sound like a perfect canidate for the 30 Luger cartridge. Let Deputy Al and I get you fixed up. Just the portable critter for shooting critters...small critters that is.

Joe

waksupi
03-16-2006, 01:11 AM
Joe, I just hate it, when I shoot a pack rat, and the bullet bounces back at me!

Dale53
03-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Fellows, you are forgetting those of us who are visually impaired (lot of old farts). A scope can be QUITE useful for those of us that have vision problems. Don't worry tho' if you are not yet visually impaired, if you live long enough, you will be:mrgreen:

If you think that I am being ridiculous, look at all of the current NRA Bullseye pistol shooters. Nearly everyone now shoots either a scope or a red dot sight. So, it even works with pistols and revolvers...

Dale53

waksupi
03-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Dale, you are right. My eyes aren't what they used to be, and I DO see a need for some to use scopes.

wills
03-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah, much as I don’t care for scopes, I think if my vision gets any worse, I am going to have to use one to aim when I take a leak.

StarMetal
03-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Wills,

A laser dot is good for that, also great for night work. You don't want a real long scope on it though, doesn't enhance your weapon.

Joe

bobthenailer
03-16-2006, 08:10 PM
im 58 years old and im putting a red dot sight on the rifle! the after market stocks cheek piece is to high for the williams peep sights to be used, the stock was made for scope mounting!!!!!!!! most of my pistols & all of my rifles have either red dot or scopes on them my eyes sadly arent what they used to be, if i shoot iron sights i need different glasses with different colored lenses for varing light condtions + a merit optical apiture to see iron sights well and i dont feel like going through all that every time i shoot i

versifier
03-17-2006, 01:12 AM
Now that makes sense, Bob. I had visions of a 3-9 barbell or similar travesty. A red dot is the cat's ass for fast shooting, and probably won't effect the balance enough to matter. Like Gilda used to say: "Oh, never mind!" My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I'm not painting the rifles white with red muzzles, yet. I do like scopes for longer ranges, and I am actually on the verge of putting the Aimpoint on my .308 as things are getting a bit fuzzy beyond 100yds. What kind of stock did you get for it?

bobthenailer
03-17-2006, 08:23 PM
i picked up the rifle from a co worker it was his dads gun and his dad passed away about 12 years ago and it was just lying around he said he doesent rember shooting it for the time that he has had it, his dad had a scope on it and the scope was sold and he couldent find the mount, the stock might be a remington 721 stock that someone reworked very nicley to fit the carbine! it is glass bedded , with a schanneble forend the wood type not metal and the front slip ring that holds the front of the handguard on was split and a sling swivle stud welded on and then the front swivel screw holds the slip ring in place a kind of a old school stock but well done as a plus i got 1141 rounds of 1953 gi ammo 600 in the old gi spam can un opened with the can opener attached to the can the rest was in bandelaros in stripper clips

bobthenailer
03-17-2006, 08:27 PM
the choate stock is made for scope mounting !the ram line is not

waksupi
03-18-2006, 12:28 AM
i picked up the rifle from a co worker it was his dads gun and his dad passed away about 12 years ago and it was just lying around he said he doesent rember shooting it for the time that he has had it, his dad had a scope on it and the scope was sold and he couldent find the mount, the stock might be a remington 721 stock that someone reworked very nicley to fit the carbine! it is glass bedded , with a schanneble forend the wood type not metal and the front slip ring that holds the front of the handguard on was split and a sling swivle stud welded on and then the front swivel screw holds the slip ring in place a kind of a old school stock but well done as a plus i got 1141 rounds of 1953 gi ammo 600 in the old gi spam can un opened with the can opener attached to the can the rest was in bandelaros in stripper clips

I hereby award the first prize, for the longest sentance ever published on this site! Way to go, buddy! I do the same darn thing!~My English teacher absolutely abhorred recieveing any of my missives!

bobthenailer
03-18-2006, 09:15 AM
not up to petersons writing rules but i got my message across!!! its funny my mind doesent doesent think in sentenses ,coma ect , i type as i think or talk