PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Tru-Line Junior

fred2892
05-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I picked up this press in a swap deal a couple of years ago and put it to one side. I recently found some dies so I dug it out from its resting place and actually looked it over for the first time. I have to say I am pretty impressed at how nice this little baby is. The turret snaps forcefully into place and the ram has absolutely zero play. I am only used to a Rockchucker and a Redding T7 but I have to say that this old 'un' beats them hands down for quality and feel. Anyways, my question is, which die goes in the position with the grubscrew on the turret and what does that grubscrew do?

Green Frog
05-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Fred2892,

I believe that "grubscrew" is a "post-factory addition." I don't recall seeing one on any of the half dozen or so TL Jrs I have owned. For a while, there was so little interest in them here that I was able to purchase several very cheaply. As a result, I like to set each one up dedicated for a particular caliber and leave it that way. Even the ones with compound linkage (which yours appears to be from the top half view you posted) are a little short on leverage, but unless you are doing some severe sizing, will work great. Welcome to the TruLine Jr Club!!

Froggie

PS BTW, I assume you know that most if not all, of the 310 tool die sets can be adapted to use on the TL Jr. and that a conversion unit is available to use standard shell holders as well if you need it. PM if you need any help! GF

shotman
05-25-2009, 01:41 AM
I have seen a couple like that. That one has the thin head I think they put it in to lock the bushing for the "310 bushing" when you put a powder measure there. Be sure to use the bolt in the back to support the head if you do much heavy sizing

HeavyMetal
05-25-2009, 02:12 AM
You can also buy a head that has 7/8X14 threads in it for standard die sets. I have one with six stations in it.

Converted to take the standard shell holders this press can, with a little Imperial sizing die wax, resize 44 mag case's with ease. Using carbide dies of course!

As to the set screw. This is a diffinate after market fix. Something I've also seen is a "counter weight" added to the base of the linkage to keep the handle from "flopping" down.

You don't want to swage boolits with this press but, with modern carbide dies, it should do all the average reloading stuff a guy could want.

I now have 4 of the TLJ's and plan to set up one as a range reloader for testing loads, I'll have one set up for my favorite 38 wadcutter load and one set up for 38 S&W rounds.

When I find these at a yard sale or gun show, and the price isn't to high, I grab them for freinds or family.

fred2892
05-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the replies which have thrown up more questions.

Shotman, (see image)Is this the bolt you mean? I imagined that it was for setting priming depth on the downstroke. (assuming you can prime on the downstroke)

Froggie, I knew about the 310 dies but not about the conversion unit. I did wonder about where the shellholder went and what it looked like. I am assuming the hole below where the shellholder goes is for a priming punch?

HeavyMetal, I can understand the counterweight fix, the first thing this press did was 'bite' me when the handle dropped unexpectedly.

Does anyone have a scan of the original instructions?

Fred

shotman
05-25-2009, 04:43 AM
fred that is an older one It may not have the threads in the top of that guide rod. You are over seas and that could be one of the first ones to come out. Is it only for the 5/8in fine dies?. If so you have a problem. Lyman makes a after market priming set up to use the regular shell holders. In this case ebay is your friend.Does the set screw go all the way to the die?It is for the powder measure. rick
The shell holder is called a J type they dont make them any more . Check ebay there is 2 or 3 in the new listings to see what they look like

Green Frog
05-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Fred,

Re the shell holder, as shotman said, it is a "J" type, which looks like a standard, modern shell holder when in place, but which has a shank that is long enough to go down into the hole you see in the press and be retained by another set screw (what you referred to as a "grubscrew?") The conversion unit goes in like the old "J" holder but then takes a modern type into it... it was a standard catalog item from Lyman when last I checked. The priming assembly comes up through the shell holder from its place in the press base (as is obvious on inspection) and a different, longer unit is necessary for the conversion unit. It is catalogued as the "Special-T" primer punch, IIRC. I'm traveling this week with no way to get to my stuff at home, but if nobody gets you a scan of the instructions or if you need more info about getting shell holders, setting up the dies, etc, drop me a PM with your e-mail next week and I'll see what I can do for you.

Regards,
Froggie

HeavyMetal
05-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Fred:
The T primer adapter is still available from Lyman I have one in my "original" TLJ.

The other TLJ'S NO. Here's the deal: I converted my first TLJ to use the standard RCBS, Lyman,Lee shell holders. This is a great conversion and I highly recomend it because of HOW DIFFICULT IT IS to locate the correct J type shell holders.

Once converted a purchase of the Lee shell holder kit, part # 90187 will make life lots easier.

The down side of this conversion is the new shell holder system will be about 1/8th of an inch taller than the original set up and you won't be able to use the stock priming punch. The T punch fix's this. However I have a Lee hand priming set up and it's just as easy for me to seat primers with that than mess with setting individual primers in the punch. Plus I save 15 bucks on the part and shipping!

The current Lyman catalog has the J to X shell holder adapter ( pt # 7095762) priced at 12.50 the T priming punch is 8.75 and has both small and large primer punch's pt # 7095763.

Now let's talk about replacing the turret. Lyman has some 310 dies sets available, 4 rifle calibers and 4 pistol calibers and are aimed at the cowboy shooting market. If you want dies for something else your at the mercy of E bay! Add to that the fact that all 310 rifle die sets neck size only, pistol dies depend on what they were bought for some full length some don't, and you can see where the original dies are some what lacking.

Changing the turret to the 7/8 x14 thread size now opens a whole new application for this press! Die sets can now be had with carbide inserts and you can use new style set up's like Lee's collet dies for rifle rounds!

The little TLJ can be very verstile with these changes. If your interested the guy making both 4 and 6 hole turret's for the TLJ is on both gunbroker and e-bay.

His current price, last time I checked, for the 4 hole turret was $49.00 and his work is excellent!

Have fun with your "new" press and hope the info I posted wasn't to boring.

TAWILDCATT
05-25-2009, 12:34 PM
just remember if you get the 7/8 set up dont full length rifle cases.I had one hole
opened to 7/8 on each of my 5 presses.as I wanted carbide dies.now I wish I had done two to add lees auto disk.I have most of the common shell holders.and I use the lee auto primer.seems that would be a good press to make again.Lyman
just seems to be coasting as nothing seems to be new and they are getting away from the reloading tools.any one buying their presses?? :coffeecom [smilie=1:

fred2892
05-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Great info, thanks a lot.
I've just looked on ebay and seen what the 'j' shellholders look like. I got one hit on a j to x adaptor for a total cost of $28. There are probably more hits visable on ebay.com, but only one will ship to europe.
Its a sign of the times unfortunately. I used to buy all my spares from Numrich, but as from Jan this year each order has a $30 export fee and doubled shipping. I found this out after my order for an ejector for a Marlin 94 came to a grand total of.......$49. All the retailers in the states have added on this export fee recently.
I have my T7 for my usual reloading and I'd like to keep the TLJ original and set up for a rarely used calibre. My least used carbines are in 38 special and 32-20 so I will stick to one of these. I'll lean towards the 32-20 as I only neck size in this as I only have one gun in this calibre.

Heavy Metal, in no way boring. All information gladly received and filed away.

Froggie, Have a good week, I'll PM next week with my email for the instructions. Much appreciated.

Fred

trooperdan
05-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Great info, thanks a lot.
I've just looked on ebay and seen what the 'j' shellholders look like. I got one hit on a j to x adaptor for a total cost of $28. There are probably more hits visable on ebay.com, but only one will ship to europe.
I
Fred

Fred, what shellholders do you need? I have several J-type shellholders and might have an extra in your size.

Dan

Geraldo
05-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Interesting posts. I just bought two TLJs and a pile of dies and shellholders that the shopowner just wanted to see gone. I have no idea what goes with what, but it will be fun figuring it all out. I'll try to make one into a press to use at the range.

fred2892
05-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the offer Trooperdan. Assuming the J shellholders are numbered the same as regular lyman shellholders then a #1 (38 Spl) or a #7(44 Spl) would be good if you can help out.
I had originally thought of going for the 32-20 dies but realise that the more common ones are going to be easier to get hold of. The only set I actually own at the moment are 38 Spl, but I have feelers out for others.
I am eagerly anticipating actually getting to use this press when I get all the required parts together. At the moment its like opening that yearned for toy on christmas day that needs the only size of battery which can't be found in the entire house.

Fred