PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing somthing. New sizing die to large?

Horsemen
05-24-2009, 12:43 PM
This morning I decided to try my new set of Hornady dies. 45 long colt. For the most part, Im getting a very loose tenshion on the boolet. The boolet is a RCBS 270-SSA sized to .452. The brass is New, Remington. After full length sizing, 1 of 10 will require neck expanding. The rest will drop into the case with very little tenshion. Once fired brass requires expanding, (Because of the crimp)but still has very little tension. This is causing loose boolets regardless of the crimp. Do to the fact that I have tryed different brass Im thinking that the sizing die is not tight enough. The brass measures .4525 ID, and the boolet measures .4515. that is with a cheap digital caliper. With a caliabrated out side caliper the boolet measures .452. the case OD is .474 after sizing. Brass thickness .011. doing the math the ID of the case is .452.

oneokie
05-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Some lots of Remington brass is thin in the neck area. Have experienced the same problem with R-P 38spl brass of recent manufacture. If you have a 45acp sizer die, try neck sizing some of the LC brass and see if you still have problems.

454PB
05-24-2009, 04:54 PM
The ID of a sized case should be around .446". Add .022" to that and the OD of the sized case should be .468. On all my .45 caliber sizing dies (from .45 ACP to .454 Casull), the expander is .448" to .449". Any larger expander than that and the neck tension is too low.

It sounds like you have an oversize case sizer.

Bret4207
05-25-2009, 08:36 AM
You can also try annealing the cases in case springback is an issue.

jforwel
05-25-2009, 12:57 PM
If your expander is oversize chuck it in a drill and use some fine emery cloth on it to take off a couple thousandths. Or send it back with the sizer die and let Hornady inspect them.

Horsemen
05-25-2009, 03:08 PM
The expander is not the problem. The case id is to large. The expander pilot measures .450 and the bell measures .455. I just ordered another die set of a different brand. We will try this again when it gets here. I did some research and this seams to be a problem with this die set, it's not real common but it is happing. Some thing else I noticed, the crimp die aria that to boolet goes into measures .452. If I was to size the boolets to .453 or larger, it would push the boolet further into the case. This die set seams to be a paper weight.

glicerin
05-27-2009, 05:41 PM
This seems to be a problem which the reloading co.'s refuse to admit exists. I had same problem with .357 TN die, their replacement was EXACTLY the same. RCBS 7.62x54R die wouldn't give good neck tension with graf or prvi partizan brass, the new replacement die was exactly the same.

frank_1947
05-27-2009, 08:23 PM
IF your boolit is measuring .4515 that is not for a colt it is for a 45 acp colt is .452 cannot use .4515 for colt is to small as your finding out.

wallenba
05-28-2009, 02:57 PM
This morning I decided to try my new set of Hornady dies. 45 long colt. For the most part, Im getting a very loose tenshion on the boolet. The boolet is a RCBS 270-SSA sized to .452. The brass is New, Remington. After full length sizing, 1 of 10 will require neck expanding. The rest will drop into the case with very little tenshion. Once fired brass requires expanding, (Because of the crimp)but still has very little tension. This is causing loose boolets regardless of the crimp. Do to the fact that I have tryed different brass Im thinking that the sizing die is not tight enough. The brass measures .4525 ID, and the boolet measures .4515. that is with a cheap digital caliper. With a caliabrated out side caliper the boolet measures .452. the case OD is .474 after sizing. Brass thickness .011. doing the math the ID of the case is .452.

Are you using a roll or taper crimp die? Because I have a problem with my 255 Hornady cowboys backing out of the cases with using their taper crimp die. I gave up on their bullet, threw them in the pot.

Horsemen
05-28-2009, 03:35 PM
The crimp die looks like a roll crimp. I was thinking about sizing to .453, but then the boolet will hang up in the crimp die. A .452 is good to go. But no neck tension. A .454 hangs up bad in the crimp die. I got a set of rcbs dies to try on fryday.

Rodfac
06-03-2009, 08:41 AM
I've got the same problem with Lyman dies in .45 LC. I'm using an RCBS .45 ACP die now and it helps somewhat. Jacketed bullets that run ,.4515 are a loose fit even with the .45 ACP sizer in use. That same sizer, when used on .45 ACP brass works just fine with the .4515" jacketed bullets however. So my conclusion is that .45 LC brass is thinner at the mouth than the ACP variety. You can just about see it with the naked eye.

So...RCBS, Hornady, and Lyman have the problem. How about Lee or Dillon? Anyone out there with experience with either of the last two and 452 and 451 size bullets or boolits?

And the above is true with: WW Superspeed brass and R-P from factory loads. Does anyone have experience with Starline brass in this caliber? I've got some .32-20 brass that is thicker at the neck than either WW or R-P.

If you find a sizer make that will work, Post it here. I'd like to know as well.

Regards, Rodfac

opentop
06-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Does anyone have experience with Starline brass in this caliber?

Starline, WW, and R-P brass all work fine with my lyman 452664 and Lee dies.

Horsemen
06-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Well I try ed the new sizer/die set. The neck tension is what you would except from a good die set. :-D Seams the problem is the sizer die. I cant recommend the Hornady set do to the fact that it sizes large and the crimp/seat die will only except a .452 boolet. End of story.:coffee: I will probably keep this sizer for .454 boolets or use both - the crimp/seat die and sizer, for a norther project. And use the nuts for other dies that I use. :drinks: Hopes this will help others in the future.

Regards all : Mike