PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Action

Frank
05-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Ghost town, tumble weed rolls by, sound of wind with the saloon piano heard in the distance. Let's see some of those cowboy revolvers.:Fire:

jh45gun
05-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Mine is a Uberti Cattleman imported by Taylor's like this one only I have the 5.5 inch barrel version in 45 Colt

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/images2/700ASa.jpg

Muddy Creek Sam
05-24-2009, 03:00 PM
I shoot a pair of 2nd Gen Colt 1851 Navys. Will have to get some pictures up on of these day.

Sam :D

jh45gun
05-24-2009, 06:23 PM
I should note I have the gun but I do not do the cowboy action stuff. one there is no clubs in the area (only a fast draw club) and two just too expensive of a hobby for me even if there was a club. I do not even shoot trap anymore as it got too pricey.

willyboy
05-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Two cap'n'ball sixguns,a single shot break open shotgun,and a used pistol caliber levergun are all that's really needed to get into cowboy action shooting.

Russel Nash
05-24-2009, 07:18 PM
warning.... thread drift in progress....

I really like the look of the Beretta Stampede (I think that is what they are called) revolvers. They are the break open style. I think they are clones of the S and W Mod #3 Schofields. I think Beretta makes 'em with a nickel plated finish.

Just curious if you CAS guys know if any company happens to make them in stainless?? I guess they are all 5" barrels or longers??

Pardon the thread jack... Thanks!

jh45gun
05-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Two cap'n'ball sixguns,a single shot break open shotgun,and a used pistol caliber levergun are all that's really needed to get into cowboy action shooting.

That is a lot of money for some one on a limited monthly income. Most steel framed cap and ball now run close to 300 bucks I would suspect a used lever gun to run at least 250 if not more and a used single shot probably a 100 so that adds up to close to a grand. For me I would prefer cartridge guns and that is even more. So why does it have to be a pistol cartridge levergun?

Frank
05-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi. I'm back. Sorry about not replying. I like that Uberti cattleman, that looks like some of the pieces I see in the Westerns. If you don't mind, I don't understand why the discipline, Cowboy Action, requires 4 guns. I think most cowboys carried only one revolver. How do you take all that equipment into a saloon?

cajun shooter
05-25-2009, 07:28 AM
As a CAS shooter, let me step in and try to set straight some things that have been said. First, I'm on a fixed income but you can enjoy shooting local matches if they are available. I had some of my guns when I first started but it still was a good out lay of cash. CAS was started by Judge Roy Bean and a few friends. They were action combat shooters. They decided to shoot one match using single action revolvers to change things from becoming boring and that started the whole thing. It went from one gun to two to up the fun level, not to be historical correct. They had rule changes as it evolved. The targets were made large and close to open up the fun factor for the shooters. Most of the older guys like myself who are in CAS grew up watching the Saturday morning TV westerns and always wanted to be one of them guys. Most clubs will give you a whole year to gather the correct clothing and your own guns. Many a cowboy started with borrowed guns. That's another thing; how many gun matches can you go to and someone steps up and says ,you can use my gun. My problem with CAS is that I didn't get in on it 20 years ago. Go and watch and if it's in your blood you will end up shooting!!! Later David aka Fairshake

longhorn
05-25-2009, 09:21 AM
My original SASS # was 23xx, so I was in pretty early--I'd suggest you start with a pair of cartridge single actions, a Marlin carbine in caliber to match your revolvers, and a double 12ga. Pistol caliber carbines are required to minimize target damage. The four guns are necessary because that's what the stages are written for--and you'll need a cart to carry 'em around. Fun game, extremely friendly folks at all levels, I don't have the time currently to travel 2 hours to the nearest "local" matches. My wife called it "Barbie for big boys"--I won't admit to what I spent in 10 years of active competition, but on the way to one match in the mid-90's I realized I had 5 shotguns in the truck! Hello, my name is Pill Roller, and I'm an addict. If it matters, I've always believed that matches are typically won or lost with the shotgun--lots of folks can hose lead through a hogleg or lever carbine, but many fewer can handle a double or 97 smoothly and reload very quickly. Oh, and for the side matches, don't forget the derringer, the pocket pistol, the lever rifle, the buffalo rifle.....and then there are hats and boots and----you get the idea.

Frank
05-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Most clubs will give you a whole year to gather the correct clothing

My wife called it "Barbie for big boys

:hijack: The thread isn't about CA shooting, but about revolvers. But you have brought up some good information for those who may contemplate getting into the CA shooting.

jh45gun
05-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Like I said from what you guys are saying it is an expensive sport to get started. As far as the pistol cartridges go over rifle thats not fair either as any rifle cartridge as you are reloaders know can be downloaded and use cast bullets.

Muddy Creek Sam
05-25-2009, 11:36 AM
jh45gun,

Have you seen the distance of the rifle targets, I wouldn't want to shoot a match with someone using a high powered rifle round even downloaded. There is a lot of fragments flying with some of the warthog pistol loads. You can use the Rifle rounds in the long Range matches.

Sam :D

Frank
05-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Beretta Stampede. Now that's a good find. How does it compare to a Vaquero?

WildmanJack
05-25-2009, 12:01 PM
A pair of Taurus Gaucho's in polished stainless with fake Ivory grips.. Love these guns..

Jack

76 WARLOCK
05-25-2009, 08:38 PM
I have all the guns, but when I saw all the clothing, boots hat etc I just did not feel comfortable buying them.

I really shoot the guns though: 3 uberti 44/40 4 3/8 bl
1 marlin cowboy limited 44/40
1 China made 97 replica

jh45gun
05-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Well I got a origional 97 cut down to a 20 inch barrel as it was cut once before so when I got it I made it the riot gun size and I have one Uberti Cattle man I got a Rolling Block in 45/70 too but that would still mean a lever gun and an other pistol plus the leather for such which is not cheap and then you say you need a cart plus all the clothes which for me a big guy would be a problem in its self. Na like I said it is an expensive hobby/sport.

Harry O
05-26-2009, 09:28 AM
I have a pair of matched Uberti Cattlemen SAA Colt clones with 5-1/2" barrels in 38-40 caliber. I changed the cylinder base pin (one jumped forward, tying up the gun with heavy loads -- not CAS loads), the mainspring (lighter), and the bolt/trigger return springs (one broke) in each.

The rifle is a Uberti 1873 Winchester clone with a 24" barrel in 38-40 caliber. The only thing I did with it was change the lever safety and replace the front sight with one that had a brass ball on it. The lever safety was entirely too heavy when I got it.

The 38-40 cases are nickel plated brass. Yes, I know that they split more often than brass brass, but they are MUCH easier to see when it comes time to pick them up. Also, it is easy to keep them separate from my 44-40's, without having to read the headstamp.

The shotgun is a Stevens 311 SxS in 16ga. I still use purple paper shells that I bought in the 1960's.

Wicky
05-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I use a Ruger blackhawk in 45LC with a 4 5/8 barrel - one only
A Winchester 94 Trapper with 16" barrel in 45LC and a double shotgun (12g) that the previous owner had spilt the barrels, although they are still 24".
Yep, it isn't cheap but it still cost less to set up for this comp than to buy my two shotguns for trap and skeet!

JIMinPHX
05-26-2009, 08:39 PM
That is a lot of money for some one on a limited monthly income. Most steel framed cap and ball now run close to 300 bucks I would suspect a used lever gun to run at least 250 if not more and a used single shot probably a 100 so that adds up to close to a grand. For me I would prefer cartridge guns and that is even more. So why does it have to be a pistol cartridge levergun?

I've seen C&B's for around $200 new a bunch of times. The rest of your numbers sound about right. The lever-gun number might be a tad low, at least in my area.

Springfield
05-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Jeans and a long sleeve shirt with no logos on it. A 10.00 goodwill hat. Lace up boots as long as they are leather, or any ol' pair of pointy toe cowboy boots. A 10 handcart for a guncart, or just convert an old kid's wagon. As for rifle caliber rifles, I don't care how much you download that old 30-30, it's gonna whack the targets and damage them, or hit someone with fragments. And leather don't have to cost 300 bucks either, just look on my website and see. I wasn't rolling in the dough when I started doing this cowboy shooting thing in '99, and I have even less now that I have 2 kids. But it didn't stop me. This is the perfect reason to go shooting at least once a month and hang out with a bunch of like-minded individuals. Shooting by yourself can be fun but is better with others along.

longhorn
05-26-2009, 08:40 PM
OK, then, the revolvers: I'd go with Ruger Vaqueros. Once again, IMHO, 99% of the time a Colt or replica is gonna wear out or break long before the Ruger will. Don't get me wrong, I love the Colts and the good replicas, but it's an archaic design and not suited to competition and the practice sessions needed to get and stay competitive. All depends on how hard you want to play and whether you're there for fun or trophies. Oh, and I forgot to mention the progressive press......As for the downloaded rifle calibers, all it takes is one careless mistake to hurt someone with a lead splash or ruin a target.

Four Fingers of Death
05-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Go along and talk to the guys if you are interested, take the head honce aside and tell him your problem. We had one guy who had the breeze in his drawers and came up to me and said he'd love to get into it, but couldn't afford it. he had an old sxs shotty. I only shoot big bores and you have to have a special license for them here, so I lent him the 38/357 Rossi and got him the club 357 Blackhawk and the 22 Blackhawk (never seen another like it, it is definetly a Blackhawk, no one knows where it came from, been in the clubs safe for yonks, we think it is a prototype or special run.

Anyways, when the other guys saw him shooting a 22 and a 38, they gathered around and he shot the second stage with a pair of 38 vaqueros. Over the next year he got the gear tohether and has a wow of a time.

I used to do reloads for him at cost, provided he didn'ty tell the other guys how much he paid. I never had time to do the shotgun ammo, so I used to give him new stuff, cost me $1.50 every box he used, I never said anything. I overheard him one day talking to the others, saying, you ought to get get Mick to reload your shotshells, he does a great job, look how neat this one is.

I shoot a pair of 45 Vaqueros and a pair of 44/40 Piettas. I have a pair of new 32 Vaqueros hidden away for my girl. She wants to try shooting. I also used to shoot a pair of 45 Blackhawk convertibles. I might bring them out of retirement now that there is no modern/traditional division.

Here is the 44Mag Vaquero and the 44 Mag Blackhawk that I started out with along side the 45 Convertibles:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Handguns/RugerSingleActions1.jpg

I have sold the 44Mag Vaquero, still have the rest.

Here are the squaw's guns that she doesn't know about yet:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Handguns/FourFingersSquawsguns.jpg

I'll have to take a few pics of the Piettas and the new Model Vaqueros when I get back on Monday/Tuesday

Four Fingers.

jh45gun
05-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I've seen C&B's for around $200 new a bunch of times. The rest of your numbers sound about right. The lever-gun number might be a tad low, at least in my area.

OK so 400 for pistols say 350 for the levergun and a 100 for the shotgun that is still 850 bucks plus clothes and ammo. For me I have a cut down model 97 and I have the one pistol that would still leave me with getting an other pistol and the lever gun. Since I would prefer a Cartridge gun for the pistol say 350 bucks used like I paid for my cattleman. So we are still talking 700 bucks just for guns to get started. I traded an Encore pistol barrel in 308 with a scope and a 22 Marlin Model 60 plus cash to get my Uberti it was the only way I could afford it. No way I could swing the rest of the stuff. It is a moot point since there are no clubs in my area anyway. Closest Club is about a 100 miles away.

Frank
05-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Can't afford to be a cowboy. Can't afford to go to church either. :redneck:

McLintock
05-27-2009, 04:43 PM
No soapbox commentary on Cowboy Action Shooting, but as requested here's some pics of my main match shooters.
This set (the 2 in back) are 3 screw Ruger .357's, converted to .44 Special/44-40, and Colt type top straps. The one in front is a Ruger 3 screw converted to .44 Special, it's for long range pistol side matches.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/7384995/320941600.jpg
Here's a pic of one of the above set with a 44-40 clyinder installed and with a black powder load with 240 gr bullet, kind of fills the cylinder up; and they give plenty of whomp.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/7384995/357812246.jpg
This is a set of Ruger 3 screw Single Sixes converted to center fire and 32 H&R Mag; they're for days my wrists ain't feeling up to much recoil.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/7384995/289232131.jpg
McLintock

Jbar4Ranch
05-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Oh geez, there are too many to take pictures of...

3 - 4 5/8" stainless .45 Colt Vaqueros
2 - 4 5/8" .45 Colt Blackhawks - 1 blue, 1 stainless
2 - 5 1/2" .45 Colt 1872 Open Tops
1 - Uberti 5 1/2" 1873 .45 Colt
1 - Uberti 3 1/2" 1873 .45 Colt
1 - Colt 1st gen 7 1/2" .45 Colt
3 - 5 1/2" .44-40 Vaqueros
2 - 7 1/2" 1875 .44-40's
1 - 4 5/8" Uberti .44-40/.44 spl convertible
2 - 5 1/2" .44-40 Schofields
1 - 7 1/2" .44 mag Super Blackhawk
1 - 8 3/8" .44 mag stainless Interarms Virginian Dragoon
1 - 6 1/2" .41 mag Blackhawk
3 - 5 1/2" .38-40/.40 S&W stainless convertible Vaqueros
3 - 5 1/2" .357 stainless Vaqueros
3 - 6 1/2" .357 Blackhawks (2 are 3 screws)
3 - 7 1/2" .38 spl 1851 RM conversions
3 - 5 1/2" .38 spl Uberti Stallions

4 - 7 1/2" stainless fixed sight ROA's
2 - 7 1/2" blue adj sight ROA's
2 - 9 1/2" 1847 Walkers
3 - 8" 1860's
2 - 7 1/2" 1851 pattern High Standard Griswold & Gunnison .36 cals
2 - 7 1/2" 1861 .36 cals

That's all I can think of right off...

cajun shooter
05-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Like every one has said you can shoot Cas on the cheap. I'm headed to the PO today to send Long Hunter $1780 for the 2 USFA 45 Colt 5 1/2 bbl revolvers that I'm going to start shooting. Now how much cheaper can you get fellas. My wife thinks they cost $300 ea and that's all that matters. Ha!! Ha!! Just kidding guys, she knows the truth and is backing me on this purchase. To be honest about this I'm selling off some non CAS guns to cover the price. After all none of us own the guns we possess we are only the keepers until that time comes to hand them down. Later David

.45Cole
05-28-2009, 02:00 PM
:holysheep Jbar4Ranch- you only have 2 hands. I doubt a person could even fit half of those in the waist belt. I would suppose that that horde would weigh at least maybe close to a hundred pounds!
:drinks: Nice!

Jbar4Ranch
05-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Here's an old picture of a lot of them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/CowboyRevolvers01.jpg

Frank
05-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Jbarranch writes
Here's an old picture of a lot of them.

Fine collection JBar4ranch. :drinks: Which ones are the shooters? What bullet, load, picture of the target, etc? Or are they just show pieces, like Barbi.

August
05-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I started shooting SASS about ten years ago. I had a mismatched pair of roogers that I'd picked up from private sales at gunshows for cheap. Got some kind of gawd=awful chinese double gun and a puma '92 rifle -- all for under a thousand bucks. These actually served me well for a couple of years as I tried to figure out how to remember a stage beyond the first gun. Finally got really tired of the Chinee shotgun and got a Stoeger. About three years into the adventure, I started over running the rifle on every stage (i.e. train wreck) and got an old, used Marlin in .44. The marlin and the stoeger made my life easier for a couple of years. Got the pistols worked on by Gary Reeder so the frames matched and the actions were similar. All was well....

Until..... the day when I got the idea that I wanted to be somewhere other than in the bottom third of the people at the match. The Marlin increasingly was a vexation in my life. "How come other cowboys have rifles that work, and I don't?" are the words that came out of my mouth in the middle of a stage (bad etiquette, I know). Went to Phoenix and took a drubbing to get a '73. Spent some time slicking it up. All was well.......

Until.... I got tired of using pistols in a different caliber from the rifle. Went to the emporium and got some of them new model vaqueros in the same caliber as the rifle. Now, we're starting to get somewhere. Upper half of shooters, most of the time. Regulated pistols, things got better. Took a class from world champion shooter, things got better. Continued to slick up rifle, things got better. All was well......

Until.... A Codymatic came up on the wire for a screamin' deal. In the car.... Codymatic home. Now we're talkin'. (lesson learned, good gunsmiths are really, really inexpensive given the quality of what they do for your shooting life). Now in top quarter of shooters on a regular basis. (oh, lots of practice is sprinkled throughout this saga). All is well....

Until.... Now I'm playin' with the young guns, trying to go fast at all costs, not having much fun, never meeting new people, and handicapped by my age and infirmities. Oh, oh..... I got to where I wanted to go, but realized pretty quickly it isn't where I wanted to be. I notice those guys shooting the black powder seem to be having more fun than the rest of 'em. So, having learned many of the lessons about gunz, gunsmiths, and the game of CAS, I order a pair of 38 WCF USFA pistols from Longhunter, a '73 from Cody Conheger, and set to work learning REAL COWBOY SHOOTING. There is something about the blackpowder that is special and I really can't explain it. It probably is the effect the powder has on focusing one's attention of the front sight. All is well......

Until.... I'm runnin' about 2 to five seconds behind the best shooter in every match. Where the hell is that time???? Some of us are stubborn. I learned early on in SASS that the time was in the shotgun. But, did I heed that lesson??? Nooooooooo. Here I am, nine years into the game, with highest quality teachers, mentors, pistols, and rifle -- to say nothing of the thousands of rounds of practice -- still using a Stoeger shotgun. The light finally goes on. I walk right up to the shotgun man (Johnny Meadows) and say, "I need a shotgun!" We look over six SKBs he's recently tuned and I pick the 200. The world has been in total harmony since that day.

A 1K$ set-o-gunz will allow you to play the game.
A 2K$ set-o-gunz will get you through a match without gun problems.
A 3K$ set-o-gunz will put guns and shooting into the background and really allow you to focus on the mental game.
A 4K$ set-o-gunz will eliminate all obstacles and leave your weekend fate in your own hands (mind).

Of course, as I said, practice, practice, practice.

Russel Nash
05-30-2009, 01:12 AM
August wrote:

A 1K$ set-o-gunz will allow you to play the game.
A 2K$ set-o-gunz will get you through a match without gun problems.
A 3K$ set-o-gunz will put guns and shooting into the background and really allow you to focus on the mental game.
A 4K$ set-o-gunz will eliminate all obstacles and leave your weekend fate in your own hands (mind).

Of course, as I said, practice, practice, practice.

Cha ching$$$

:shock:

And I thought USPSA and IDPA was expensive. I think I will stick to my 600 something dollar Beretta 92 FS and the 20 round MecGar mags and continue to shoot steel plates and USPSA with that set-up.

My Beretta just runs (like a raped ape).

My videos are in my signature line just click on that.

Russel Nash
05-30-2009, 01:16 AM
I asked a guy who shoots USPSA with us about CAS. He uses a Single Stack 1911. He probably has expensive tastes, as I think they are Les Baer's or something like that.

He says that the cowboy matches at our club, the same one we shoot steel and USPSA at, are kinda lame. You have to get all dressed up, drag out 4 guns and a cart, then wait like all day to shoot at most 50 rounds, pack it up and head back home. Then once you get back home, then you have to go through the rigamorale of cleaning all four guns.

So this buddy of mine lost all interest in CAS.

jim4065
07-20-2009, 01:17 PM
I asked a guy who shoots USPSA with us about CAS. He uses a Single Stack 1911. He probably has expensive tastes, as I think they are Les Baer's or something like that.

He says that the cowboy matches at our club, the same one we shoot steel and USPSA at, are kinda lame. You have to get all dressed up, drag out 4 guns and a cart, then wait like all day to shoot at most 50 rounds, pack it up and head back home. Then once you get back home, then you have to go through the rigamorale of cleaning all four guns.

So this buddy of mine lost all interest in CAS.

Thanks. I've been thinking about SASS ever since a visit from a Michigan cousin who's really into it - even competes at the nationals. Above and beyond the money - (which would require selling some guns) - I can't see standing around all day to shoot 50 rounds (or 100 rounds, for that matter). Don't really care about the competitive aspects of it, but hanging around with like-minded people is always fun. Might go to a club about 50 miles from here to check it out one of these days.

Grapeshot
07-20-2009, 07:27 PM
I generally use a pair of SAA's with 7.5 inch barrels. One of them is a Jaeger I bought in 1988 and the other is a Great Western II I picked up last year. They both sport the 1860 Army grip frames and Tru-Ivort stocks/grips. As Back-up I have a 5.5inch Uberti Artillery Model SAA. All three are Blued with CCH frames. I also own a Navy Arms/Uberti .45 Colt Schofield Revolver that's rapidly becoming a safe queen.

cajun shooter
07-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Russel, What floats your boat might not work for me and vise-versa. If every one was the same I for one would not want to be here. I also just drool all over myself when I see a 1874 Sharps but some people would say that gun is outdated and not worth carrying into the woods much less to a range. And then you have the USFA's that I just layed out almost $1800 for, not worth it you say. August it's fun when you can't find the front sight for the smoke and everybody is laughing when you use your hand to fan it away. Frank, I would love to post my pics of my new babies but for some reason when I installed the Vista program I no longer can. I'm not as smart as 5th grader when it comes to the PC in fact you could probably lower that by a few more years.

Frank
07-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I like the close-ups. Can smell the burnt powder and Hoppes. Now I'm hungry. :bigsmyl2:

Four Fingers of Death
07-21-2009, 07:21 PM
I have all the guns, but when I saw all the clothing, boots hat etc I just did not feel comfortable buying them.

I really shoot the guns though: 3 uberti 44/40 4 3/8 bl
1 marlin cowboy limited 44/40
1 China made 97 replica

A pair of jeans, a long sleeved cheap cowboy shirt, a pair of work boots and a plain hat and you are pretty much good to go. Take the hat off and leave it in the truck and you would pass for a non cowboy. I wasn't real keen on the dress up stuff at first, but as I got to know the people, see them compete and hear about the effort they put into getting their 'costume' together, I've mellowed out a bit and even wear a vest with a pocket watch and a huge knife with an antler handle and a small matching one on my scarf/kerchief.

You'll all have to wait for my revolvers, I use a pair of NM Ruger Vaqueros in 45Colt and a pair of Pietta clones in 44/40. They are buried in teh safe at the moment as I get ready to go o/seas for 6 weeks. I have also just acquired a pair of USAF 44Specials, but won't get them before I ship out.

StrawHat
07-22-2009, 06:28 AM
I don't play the CAS game but I do have a few of the guns.

My short barreled guns.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/IMGP1450.jpg

My Richards Conversion 1860 in 44 Colt. (Looking for another one)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/RichardsConversion001.jpg

Another one that chambers the 44 Colt

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/SW44Colt001.jpg

My 12 gauge hammer gun, a Baker Model 1897

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/BakerModel1897001-1.jpg

My 10 gauge hammer gun an Ithaca, Baker Double Gun.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/IthacaGunCoBakerDoubleGun0012.jpg

Some of my Single Actions

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/SingleActionGroup004Small.jpg

Two of my favorite 1860s

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Piettapair.jpg

As you might guess I am partial to the C&B revolver and dougle guns. Got a few lever guns but nothing chambered for "revolver" cartridges. They don't pair up with C&B anyway.

cajun shooter
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Nice looking group StrawHat. You are wrong in your statement about leveraction rifles not paring up with your C&B. The 1860 Henry and the 1866 were both guns of the time . In fact the Henry was issued to that group of Northern Aggresors and won a few fights for them.

StrawHat
07-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Nice looking group StrawHat. You are wrong in your statement about leveraction rifles not paring up with your C&B. The 1860 Henry and the 1866 were both guns of the time . In fact the Henry was issued to that group of Northern Aggresors and won a few fights for them.

Thank you Cajun Shooter,

They have been accumulated over a 40 years span. Many have come and gone in that time including quite a few originals.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about what I meant. I like my lever guns and revovler to be chambered for the same cartridge. Not too many C&B lever guns. I have considered getting a 66 or 73 and reworking it to accept the 44 Colt but have not pursued it further than a mental design. However, since it was not offered by any factory, I will probably not persue it as I prefer authenticity over convenience. That's why my RIchards is a 44 Colt , not a 44 Special or 45 Colt.

Dr. Gatlings gun was originally chambered for a percussion cap primed cartridge as I remember....hmmmm.