PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Lubrisizer question (45 and 450)

jh45gun
05-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I have a 450 and now a 45 since I found a 45 yesterday at a gun show in good shape so I bought it for twenty bucks. Now my question why did Lyman go with that locking nut in the 450 to hold the die in place over the set screw of the 45? That nut is harder to seat and start and the set screw of the 45 seems so much easier to use.

Slow Elk 45/70
05-24-2009, 10:37 AM
New Technology, if it ain't broke , fix it and charge more $ for it.[smilie=w:

doubs43
05-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Once you've pushed the die into the cavity by hand, place a piece of flat wood over it and use the ram to seat it fully. The locking collar will then start easily.

I'm guessing that the set screw may have been a problem if it loosened and allowed the die to move up and down in the cavity. Just a guess though.

briang
05-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Just guessing here, but over tightening of the set screw could mar the side of the die and make it hard to remove.

Trey45
05-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Briang beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing, many is the time that as a machinist I've had to replace a shaft or op rod or something that was galled by a set screw being over tightened. I just imagine that a die would gall eventually with repeated tightening of a set screw, plus, if there is only one set screw there is a good chance of it eventually causing a die misalignment.

oneokie
05-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Or crack the housing.

jh45gun
05-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Once you've pushed the die into the cavity by hand, place a piece of flat wood over it and use the ram to seat it fully. The locking collar will then start easily.

I'm guessing that the set screw may have been a problem if it loosened and allowed the die to move up and down in the cavity. Just a guess though.

Thanks for the tip using the wood

oneokie
05-24-2009, 09:31 PM
I have found that by putting the sizer body in the recess of the nut and then installing is much easier than trying to get the nut over the o-ring with the die in the housing. My 2¢

mtgrs737
05-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Have you ever seen lube ooze from the set screw threads, especially if you use a heater? I have, a set screw can be sealed with teflon tape but few will.

TAWILDCATT
05-25-2009, 11:00 AM
the set screw cracked the housing.not a guess but the real thing.I have one and I have repaired several others.
It seems the Lyman is the basis for all other lubers except Star and that seems to come from Meepos luber.the Saeco and RCBS look like the first Lyman with the cross lever.Saeco dies are like the Meepos.:coffeecom [smilie=1:

jh45gun
05-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Well I suspect with these having a set screw some folks crank the heck out of every thing figureing the tighter the better which maybe why there are some like mine that does not have a cracked case or broke handle and others that do.

HeavyMetal
05-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Not only did the set screw cause the housing to crack but you could also "bend" the die and get oval boolits when sized!

Not a fan of either the 45 or the 450 but do see the sense in the upgrade. Honestly the Seaco die set up is much smarter.