PDA

View Full Version : Nagant revolvers using 32H&R Mags?

broomhandle
03-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi all,

I see that some of the Importers of this revolver are saying that you can shoot 32 H&R mags in it safely.
What is the chamber pressure on a 32 mag. vs the standard round?

I want to reload the Starline cases with a magnum load.

My pal bought a box of mags. and the pistol REALLY ROCKS (pop Vs BLAM!) with the mags in it.

I don't want to see any one hurt.

I know most of the fellows will tape the 32 mag.cases so they cann't swell or split.

Do you fellows shoot mags in your Nagants?

Thanks for any help,
broomhandle

KCSO
03-06-2006, 01:25 PM
NO!!!
The standard Nagant cylinder is not safe for 32 mags. You can shoot 32 S and W longs in the cylinders made for them, but the accuracy is only so so. The 32 ACP cylinders are a joke as I have not had one yet that even indexed right. You really need to make some ammo from 32-20's or get the right stufff from SOG. They have it in stock now.

RalphH
03-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Greetings, broomhandle,

I don't think you will hurt yourself or your revolver with the .32 Magnums. I reload the 7.62 x 38R myself. Most are just as hot as the .32 Mag., and some I have loaded are considerably hotter. If you are going to reload 32-20 cases, you might back off your charge a little from what my report states. I can't say for sure, as I've never fooled with the shorter cases.

At least my figures will give you an idea of what is going on. I have reloaded some as high as 1350 fps velocity. I can honestly say I don't reccomend it. Here's link to my report.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14836

9.3X62AL
03-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Broomer--

Call me exacting and needlessly cautious--but I DO NOT LIKE radial clearance around a chambered cartridge--at all. I use the Starline 7.62 x 38R casings in my Nagant revolver with decent results. It's no target caliber--and it's platform won't make it to Camp Perry--but it is still a fun little surplus plinker, and could be used for rats and small game to 35 yards--maybe further out if the load and revolver cooperate.

As Ralph H's targets show, there's some potential for usefulness in this critter.

StarMetal
03-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Deputy Al,

You mentioning Starline made me go to their website. Guess what? In the what's new they have come out with 30 Luger brass YEA YEA

Joe

9.3X62AL
03-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Our Mid-Caliber Conspiracy is under way.

broomhandle
03-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for ALL the replys.
I went to the other site and have a copy now.

I was so suprised at the POWER of the 32 mag..I expected a some what more powerful report, but that pistol REALLY got my attention with a 32 mag. in it.

I don't think I would shoot a bunch of them, but once in a while would be a hoot.

Be well & safe,
broom :castmine:

broomhandle
03-07-2006, 12:04 AM
NO!!!
The standard Nagant cylinder is not safe for 32 mags. You can shoot 32 S and W longs in the cylinders made for them, but the accuracy is only so so. The 32 ACP cylinders are a joke as I have not had one yet that even indexed right. You really need to make some ammo from 32-20's or get the right stufff from SOG. They have it in stock now.

Hi KSCO,

Would you want to sell you 32 auto cylinder? I have been looking for one for some time.
Please PM me. I have had dealing with Deputy Al in the past.
I think he will tell you I'm a good guy to deal with.

Thanks,
broom

9.3X62AL
03-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Yep--Broomhandle is downright upright!

swheeler
03-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Broom; I shot one box of FC32 H&R Mag thru my nagant revolver before my brass or dies showed up. The brass swelled excessively and I haven't did it again, I don't think it was any hotter than loads I now shoot in it, but the brass is definately undersized for the cylinders- so if you are set on doing it I think I would use the tape trick- just not my cup of tea when the correct brass is available. I have a couple hundred 32-20 brass, but haven't had a chance to try any yet!
Scooter

broomhandle
03-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Hi Fellows,

If I buy a box of 32mags. I will tape them.

I think, I will just reload 50 rounds to something close to the 32 mag. specs. using the Nagant Starline brass. I bought a box of 500 lead 115 gr. M-1 carbine bullets today.
I just don't want to blow the pistol up and hurt myself.

The Nagant would make a nice car or boat gun, if it's lost or stolen it is not a big lose & the ammo is not eazy for the dummys to find.

As I said before, the mags give a lot more power to the Nagant.
I hope the importers are correct about safely useing them, the lawsuits could be real bad.

Still looking for a 32 cylinder.

Be safe,
broom