PDA

View Full Version : Smith 329 PD broke

sagamore-one
05-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Broke my 329 PD yesterday while doing a pre carry check. I emptied the cylinder, visually inspected the revolver and ammo, then dry fired 6 times. On stroke # two I encountered a problem. Seems that the silly "lawyer lock" spring died and allowed the lock to partially engage all by itself. After a few cycles the action became totally disabled whether the lock lever was up or down in the fire position. Luckily a Smith mechanic of extraordinary talent and skill is within driving distance and he was able to get me going again.
I was wondering if anyone else has had a "lawyer lock" fail.
Local Guru says he has worked on 9 so far and the vast majority (almost all) were Scandium framed.
Any one else ??

redneckdan
05-23-2009, 06:18 PM
This is a know but but highly denied problem. Usually it happens while shooting and you get stuck with a loaded and locked tight revolver. This is a fact.....now for my little rant about the subject.....I wanted to get a 329PD for general carry but after further reading I decided to find a prelock 629. One of the memeber at the range where I RO had problems with his locking up even after going back to S&W several times. I helped him remove the lock and he hasn't had a problem since. IMHO I would not bet my life on any firearm that has an integral locking system. When I bought my Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 I took the mainspring housing out to the shop and with the aid of a 2lb hammer and a punch I de-lawyered the ILS system. The ILS system is a better design than smith and wesson's octicockilation...but I still don't take the chance. The reliability of a system is inversly proportional to the number of moving parts....that relationship becomes exponential when those parts are lawyer manadated. okay, now some one else can have their turn on the soap box.[smilie=1:

Dennis Eugene
05-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Heck Dan ya done said it all. Dennis

shorty500
05-24-2009, 08:06 PM
popeycock! when idiots Quit trying to pry the dingdang locks out with screwdrivers and pocketknives the "FAILURES" will go away!! LOL i own 6 of the scandium guns, 3 guns in .460 and 6 more chambered for the .500 the damn lock( NO I DONT LIKE IT BEING THERE EITHER) dont break, come loose etc.

Jim
05-25-2009, 04:16 AM
I helped him remove the lock and he hasn't had a problem since.

First thing I thought of was the other side of the fence. I'll bet that, if you had to use that gun in self defense, a good lawyer for the other side could eat you in court for modifying a factory installed security system.

nicholst55
05-25-2009, 04:36 AM
So THAT'S what that hole is for! I bought it used and that's how it came. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Lloyd Smale
05-25-2009, 06:11 AM
I though the same but found out it comes down to not if but when. Shoot any of them enough and its probably going to happen. I know of 3 personaly that failed. My 25 smith did it at about a round count of 30000 but know of at least one that failed under a 1000 rounds. Sorry but the 3 guns i have with locks have them all disconnected. Id rather argue why in court then have my family argue that smith shouldnt have put these on when i am in the ground.
popeycock! when idiots Quit trying to pry the dingdang locks out with screwdrivers and pocketknives the "FAILURES" will go away!! LOL i own 6 of the scandium guns, 3 guns in .460 and 6 more chambered for the .500 the damn lock( NO I DONT LIKE IT BEING THERE EITHER) dont break, come loose etc.

shorty500
05-25-2009, 06:39 AM
my point is not the liabilty issue of disconnecting the damned lock,my point is that as a WORKING GUNSMITH every nonFunctional trouble giving lock have ran into (this includes autos, Taurus,Ruger and a few Remington m700/m7) has came from END USER TAMPERING NOT AN ISSUE WITH THE LOCK! guy just dropped a remington model7 2 my shop Saturday. he had an issue with the bolt not rotating into lockup and had never fired the BRAND NEW RIFLE. he took it to another local gun butcher who is developing a BAD REP for saying guns are fixed when they aren't, slapping customer with outrageous bill and then when it still doesnt work saying "OH WELL, GUESS UT'S JUNK" AINT SURE WHAT THE GUY DID TO THE LOCK. THE NON LOCKING BOLT WAS CAUSED BY THE OWNER USING TOO LONG SCREWS TO MOUNT SCOPE! THE BOLT NOW LOCKS UP BUT THE DAMNED SAFETY LOCK IS NON FUNCTIOAL, YOU CAN WORK THE BOLT, LOAD THE GUN, MOVE SAFETY AND PULL TRIGGER REGARDLESS OF HOW THE LOCK IS TURNED BUT THE DAMNED FIRING PIN DOES NOT GO FORWARD SO NOW I HAVE TO PULL THE DAMNED BOLT APART BECAUSE SOME IDIOT HAS MADE A DAMNED MESS INSIDE THE SHROUD! MY PRESONNAL M329 PD IS @ 10000 ROUNDS DOWNRANGE AND MY LOAD USES A 320g SLUG OVER HEAVY DOSE OF LIL'GUN. IF THAT OR THE .500 S&W MAG CANT SHAKE THE LOCK APART- THEN AM STANDING BY MY OPINION- KEEP YOUR SCREWDRIVERS AND POCKETKNIVES OUT OF THE DURNED GUNS!!!

sagamore-one
05-25-2009, 06:52 AM
No offense ,,, but the end user did NOT in any way, shape, or form tamper with the device prior to it breaking. It just broke.

longhorn
05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
There's a good S&W forum on the web where the lock is endlessly cussed and discussed. IIRC, there's even some instructions for user modification there......

9.3X62AL
05-25-2009, 01:38 PM
I think Redneck Dan's comments about the S&W glory holes and over-engineering in general should be enshrined in a "sticky" someplace. Few truer words have ever appeared on this site.

S.R.Custom
05-25-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm just surprised that some enterprising chap hasn't come up with a blank-off kit to take care of the problem. You know, like the catalytic converter "test pipe" or the kit that replaces the cross-bolt safeties on Marlin lever guns.

Jim
05-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey, Shorty,
Typing in all caps is interpreted as hollering. Don't need to do that, Bud. We get your point.:drinks:

Dennis Eugene
05-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Geezs shorty, you just show up and post in all caps, cuss and use words like idiot and claim that as a working gunsmith every one else must be wrong and only you are right. Just because you have never personaly had a problem with any of your guns. Some of the guys you are claiming can't possabley be right have been here, done that, and are men to ride the river with and in my not so humble opinion are to be trusted in waht they say with no question. Haveing said all that Welcome to the site. Dennis Eugene

Heavy lead
05-25-2009, 02:51 PM
As Frank Castanza said:

SERENITY NOW