PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show find

7br
03-06-2006, 08:06 AM
A shooting buddy and I had a couple of tables at a gunshow this weekend. We were promoting sihouettes and had several overpriced guns on the table that we weren't really trying to sell. I took a stroll around the pavilion and noticed a group of moulds and sizer dies on the table. A closer examination revealed a large lyman vintage lyman box with 245498 . I asked the gentleman if it was alright to look at it . Lifting the box, I thought it was awful heavy for a double cavity mould. Opening up reveal a four cavity mould that had been gently used. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I asked the guy how much he wanted for it. When he said $40, I slicked out my wallet and walked away one mould richer. By the way, when I got to my car, there was a pig with a white cane munching on acorns.

Frank46
03-07-2006, 03:58 AM
Guess the blind pig finally found the acorns. Frank

Newtire
03-07-2006, 09:54 AM
A shooting buddy and I had a couple of tables at a gunshow this weekend. We were promoting sihouettes and had several overpriced guns on the table that we weren't really trying to sell. I took a stroll around the pavilion and noticed a group of moulds and sizer dies on the table. A closer examination revealed a large lyman vintage lyman box with 245498 . I asked the gentleman if it was alright to look at it . Lifting the box, I thought it was awful heavy for a double cavity mould. Opening up reveal a four cavity mould that had been gently used. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I asked the guy how much he wanted for it. When he said $40, I slicked out my wallet and walked away one mould richer. By the way, when I got to my car, there was a pig with a white cane munching on acorns.
Hey Mark,
Just got one of those on Ebay with handles for $77.00. Wondering if anyone here shoots .243 with that mould. The one I got looked well used but the bullets fall out with just a shake. I got a gag Christmas gift from a disgruntled would-be girlfriend and it was a flying pig. "Things will be the way you want when pigs fly", she said. I have it hanging on my front porch. Pigs are flying here!

7br
03-07-2006, 11:22 AM
To my somewhat nearsighted and uncalibrated eyes, it looks an awful lot like the RCBS 100gr bullet. Carpetman and Deputy Al have both had good success with that bullet. I will probably do some casting with it this Friday after I drop the kiddos off at school. Won't be able to load them until I swap my father's mauser back for my 788. So many projects, so little time.

Might search on 243 and see what you come up with. lt looks like Carpetman uses 4227 and Dep Al uses 2400.

9.3X62AL
03-07-2006, 11:31 AM
12.0 x Alliant 2400 seems to be the "go-to" load in my 788. I've run the powder up to 15.0 grains and got higher velocity and no leading, but accuracy didn't improve any. I'm just using the assemblies for paper targets and evil rats, and the 1650 FPS given by this load to those 95 grain javelins anchors varmints with finality. I put a tuft of dacron atop the powder, but this did not cause accuracy to improve much.

Carpetman runs the boolit a LOT faster than I do with fine accuracy.

Newtire
03-09-2006, 01:32 AM
To my somewhat nearsighted and uncalibrated eyes, it looks an awful lot like the RCBS 100gr bullet. Carpetman and Deputy Al have both had good success with that bullet. I will probably do some casting with it this Friday after I drop the kiddos off at school. Won't be able to load them until I swap my father's mauser back for my 788. So many projects, so little time.

Might search on 243 and see what you come up with. lt looks like Carpetman uses 4227 and Dep Al uses 2400.
Got the answer over on Cast Boolit forum just now! Some guy posting .243 there. Shazaam! Let us know how that mould does now!

7br
03-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Those iron 4 banger moulds are heavy. Managed to get about 100 cast up in 20-30 minutes though. Once up to heat, it really seemed to cast well. I water drop, so I need to see how many rejects I have. I also cast up a bunch of 225415 and RCBS 22-55 bullets. Final casting was trying soft nose hard based bullets via the BruceB method. More loading and testing to follow.