PDA

View Full Version : CabineTree ??

buck1
03-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Howdee ! I was looking at the lead tester at CabineTree ( good looking goodies). Has anytryed the mold handles and lead tester?
I seem to remember reading that hes a fellow cast booliter here (I always like to deal with our fellow casters here whenever I can). is that correct? Thanks to all....Buck

StanDahl
03-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Gussy is the handle of the gent that runs CabineTree. I have the lead tester and really like it. Easy to use and repeatable/reliable. Very solidly built, too. I have the 3 in 1 version that also does runout. Excellent price too, especially for what it does. (I don't know what the current price is, though.) A friend of mine uses the handles and raves about them, especially for big bullets. I've been meaning to get a pair, but just haven't gotten around to it. Stan

Dale53
03-06-2006, 01:36 AM
I have a set of Cabine Tree handles and give them high marks. I only use them on my Schuetzen bullets. My schuetzen rifle is a half minute rifle but that is only so with perfect bullets (as you might expect). I get more consistent bullets with the Cabine Tree handles. They are heavy, moderately expensive but really work and work well.

They were recommended to me by Jim Borton of Borton & Darr Bullet Moulds (makers of custom moulds for schuetzen rifles). Jim is the only fellow that has beaten the Rowland group in the past hundred years (.711" group at 200 yards with a plain base lead bullet). I give his advice a bit of weight...

Dale53

Buckshot
03-06-2006, 05:08 AM
.............Dale53, "...............They were recommended to me by Jim Borton of Borton & Darr Bullet Moulds (makers of custom moulds for schuetzen rifles)."

Dale, so Barry Darr is still around and kicking, eh? He used to shoot at the range I use in San Benardino. They used to have Schuetzen matches there. Barry was also doing some gunsmithing, and I think he worked for Saeco when that actually stood for Santa Anita Engineering Company, here in So. Calif.

At a local gunshop there was a rifle with one of his barrels, or a barrel he installed on it, marked "Barry Darr". I almost bought it as it was a for sure deal. It was a Winchester Hi-Wall with a straight octagon barrel in 32-40 with a long Fackler scope, and setup for breech seating. All for $700. I knew it was a deal but trying to sneak that much money past the war dept might have meant my untimely demise.

Jesse Smiley, the guy who started Javalina lube used to shoot at Inland also. Our old rangemaster Ken said he and Barry would argue about lube as Barry liked his own over Javalina. In fact Jesse was out the week after I'd run a high velocity test in a Krag. Javalina had petered out and a green hi temp lube had soldiered on.

I heard my name mentioned and turned around and there stood Jesse taking to Ken, I said "What?" and Ken said he'd just been telling Jesse about the test. I still think Javalina (or any NRA 50/50) is still a great lube, but just not in that Krag at that speed.

..................Buckshot

Dale53
03-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Yes, Barry is still around. He has retired from the California area after a massive heart attack some years ago, and moved back to Pennsylvania, his home state. He and Jim are making fine custom schuetzen bullet moulds. I see Barry at the ASSRA (American Single Shot Rifle Association) matches at Etna Green, IN several times a year. Really good people and a fine workman. His barrels are legendary.

Dale53

buck1
03-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Gussy is the handle of the gent that runs CabineTree. I have the lead tester and really like it. Easy to use and repeatable/reliable. Very solidly built, too. I have the 3 in 1 version that also does runout. Excellent price too, especially for what it does. (I don't know what the current price is, though.) A friend of mine uses the handles and raves about them, especially for big bullets. I've been meaning to get a pair, but just haven't gotten around to it. Stan

THANKS!!! I thought it was someone around here. I will give gussy a yell this week! :)