PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits & M1A1

Blacktail 8541
03-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Does any one have any experience with Cast boolits and the M1A1 rifle?
Does cast boolits work well with gas operated semi autos? I would like to start with the RCBS 165 silhouette bullet But do not want to mess up the gas system.

BruceB
03-05-2006, 11:57 PM
BT, pard;

Do a search for "M1A" and you will find some information.

Do you really mean your rifle is an "M1A1", which is an earlier shortened version of the M1A, or is it in fact a regular M1A? They are quite different, and I'm just curious.

I sure do like my own M1A, which I bought last September. It's going on a squirrel-shoot next weekend (with Matchkings, this time, but hopefully with cast boolits, NEXT time). It's functioning just fine with cast loads, but I haven't yet had time to refine the loads.

Blacktail 8541
03-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Bruce, My rifle is the M1a Scout rifle with the 18in barrel, new production. Thank you for the correction.

BruceB
03-06-2006, 02:26 AM
BT;

Ooooohhh....the Scout is the version that gives me the leaping NEED to buy one(now that I have the standard-length rifle). Maybe after I somehow acquire a DSA FAL, I'll embark on a saving campaign for the Scout. The present M1A has found its permanent home, and isn't going anywhere. I REALLY like that rifle!

As I recall, the M1A1 was sort of an early-day SOCOM, with a shorter barrel than your Scout, and lacking a few features that the SOCOM offers these days. Whatever, I find both the SOCOM and the former M1A1 too short for my tastes. That eighteen-incher Scout, though....it speaks to me.

Did you manage to find my cast-boolit M1A loads on the "search" function? I have plenty of experimenting to do, but the rifle is certainly indicating some real willingness to group some of the loads. Very little fouling has appeared in my rifle to date.

Blacktail 8541
03-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Yes I found you previous post, And it is a good step in the right direction for me, Although I think that I will end up going thru a long load work up anyway. I will be working with the 4895 powders as this was suppose to be what the nato round was originally loaded with.
I just Like the 165 to 168 Grain weight if I can make it work. Current LC ammo is 173 grains. and I would like to be able to keep the sights regulated as close as I can. Reloader 15 may be another powder to try, It was developed for the military.

trk
03-12-2006, 06:42 PM
M1A for squirrel??

You bet! Of course the next round in the mag is just right for DEER!

What do y'all use for cast squirrel loads?

Blacktail 8541
03-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Not got any yet, maybe at a latter date.