PDA

View Full Version : Anybody double tier presses?

cheese1566
05-22-2009, 11:11 PM
I am looking to see if anyone had double tiered two reloading presses?

I am running out of room on my new bench (should have made it bigger :groner:)

I am toying the idea of making a mount so I can place one smaller RCBS JR2 press over my newly acquired RCBS RS3. I am thinking of a taller "strong mount" type set up. Unlike the Dillion, it would be constructed of 1" square tubing and plate to keep the bottom press in the open and easily accessible.
The lower press would be my main press and the upper for "odd stuff" like primer pocket swaging. They would be independent of each other and maybe my arms will get tired by reaching so high!

Anybody do this already? needs some pics for ideas.

I know some of you maybe asking "Why?"

Hoping for pics on my idea if it has been done.
I know I can make temp mounts, but I wanted rock solid presses (why I built my NRMA style bench), and building another/new bench is not an option.

c3d4b2
05-22-2009, 11:20 PM
My brother made his bench with a fixture so he could quickly swap presses in and out. He has his presses mounted to a board and the board slides into brackets on the bench.

geargnasher
05-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Sounds like you need something mobile, like BruceB's "Der Schuetzenvagen" (see "projects" over at the castpics.net site) if you are that short on space!!!
Or maybe, instead of a turret press, just build a doughnut-shaped bench with a drummer's stool in the middle and presses all around!

Gear

Echo
05-22-2009, 11:41 PM
I have my RC and Spar-T firmly mounted to my bench, but everything else is portable. The lube/sizers are lag-screwed into 1x4's about 10" long and held to the bench with C-clamps. The furnaces are heavy enough not to need additional clamping. The powder measure and automatic primer-putter are C-clamped down without 1x4 support, and the Dillon is lag-screwed onto a nice piece of myrtle. That board has a hole in back that lines up with a hole in my bench that has a T-nut underneath. Bolted in back, C-clamped in front, solid as a rock.

If you are not doing heavy re-forming, like .243W from 30-06, then I would think that you could mount your presses as I did with my Dillon, and swap them out as needed.

HeavyMetal
05-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I do my press's a bit differently.

went to Habor Freight and bought some of there powered tool stands. These are for grinders , saw, belt sander whatever. tops are usually wood. I replaced mine with a 5/16 steel plate and mounted press's on all for sides. This particular set up is about 24 x24 inch's and makes a nice set up.

For what you want to do I'd get the smaller single stand, which looks like it will take a 10 x 10 inch square steel plate, mount my press and slide it in and out of a corner as needed.

Look over the HB website for other ideas. www.harborfreight.com

August
05-23-2009, 10:53 AM
I am presently building the same design bench and will inlet clamp tracks across the front. A simple plate on the base of the press will allow rapid change over. One still has the problem of putting the presses somewhere when out of rotation....

Go here and I'll bet you'll get some ideas: http://www.woodpeck.com/ttrackmain.html

Box13
05-23-2009, 11:08 AM
After looking closely at the pic of you bench I noticed something disturbing...Its clean...nothing on the top at all...thats just wrong...:)...Robin

redneckdan
05-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Or maybe, instead of a turret press, just build a doughnut-shaped bench with a drummer's stool in the middle and presses all around!

Gear

Now there's inspiration. I just recently up dated to the concept of a bench not set against a wall. I have presses/measures mounted all around the perimeter but I have to walk from one side to the other for some processes. Now a bench surrounding me, that would be something. Especially with a swivel chair that could be set to index between stations....now we're on to something....

mooman76
05-23-2009, 12:59 PM
I have one mounted to a bench and I made a portable stand that swivels. I din't make it to swivel, that's just a benifit to the design. I have a turret press on one side and a lube sizer on the other. If I made it a little bigger, I could get 4 presses on it.

briang
05-23-2009, 08:18 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=51379&highlight=press+mount+system

Gerry N.
05-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Not as quick to change, but any hardware store has tee nuts in sundry sizes, 1/4-20 should be adequate. Simply drill holes to match the major diameter of the tee nuts, in the proper pattern for each press, insert the nuts in the underside of the bench top and fasten your presses. If you need more press or tool positions, install more tee nuts.

Gerry N.

RP
05-24-2009, 01:00 AM
I had the same problem already had to benchs tried the T nuts but when you just want to do one or two you wont want to change a press that way. Tried all the press mounted on benchs around my shop did not like that much took all the space I like to pile up stuff on. My new thing is a restraunt table legs mounted to a sink cut out no cost to me, mounted 4 presses on it each side small enough to move out of the way and strong enough to handle sizing primeing and swagging primer pockets. So far I like it free up room on my main work areas and now all my well almost all of my presses are ready to be used at one time.

1hole
05-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Cheese, I wouldn't be satisfied with a two story mount nor any temporary mounting system.

You obviously have wood working skills, make yourself another bench if you have space for it. It need not be as elaborate as the NMRA bench, just a stout top and some open shelving for component or loaded ammo storage.

If you have the room to make it as long as 4' it could double as a gun cleaning station, tumbling/media station, etc.

Bret4207
05-24-2009, 08:57 AM
The problem with a 2 tier system is being able to access the area behind it. Those shelves or cabinets behind the press will be blocked.

TAWILDCATT
05-24-2009, 09:22 AM
I mount my press with this system.

dhenry132
06-06-2009, 01:45 PM
http://http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/dhenry132/Dillon%201050/DSC_0021.jpg[/IMG]

Heavy lead
06-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Guess I'm lucky, I've plenty of room for some5 presses and two lubrisizers mounted permantly as well as a seperate powder scale bench. I am tight on my shotgun reloading area though, so I've mounted1 Lee cheapo press (used for slug loads) and two MEC 600's on a plywood turret with a centre pivot bolt that rotates to bring the press in use up to the front lip on the bench, works well for this, don't thing it would be applicable for metallic reloading though.

JesterGrin_1
06-16-2009, 12:21 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=51379&highlight=press+mount+system

I am going to go this rout as well. Just waiting for it to be sent. :)