PDA

View Full Version : Colt Detective?

dk17hmr
05-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Looks like I will be trading into a Colt Detective this weekend. I understand they are not +P rated, is that correct? Not that it matters.

I also see there are different generations of CD's, whats the difference in generations? I know 1st gen doesnt have shourd for the ejector rod what else is different?

The one I am getting is a Gen 3, this a pic the owner sent to me.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t218/js155ddjr/CopyofColtDetective.jpg

I tried some 358429's for fit in my moms Colt and looks like it will work, I was hoping it did because that is my favorite 38/357 bullet. I have never played around with snub nose revovlers before is there anything different about reloading for them over a 4" gun?

Any good pocket holsters made for these?

Larry Gibson
05-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Not much difference that loading for a regular .38 Special. Frankly I never cared for the 359429 in .38s. but they should shoot fine in the faster Colt twist barrel. I always preferred the 150 SWC 458477 cast soft and loaded with 5.5 gr of Unique. That is a +P load BTW. A standards load of that same bullet over 3.5 gr of Bullseye shoots very well. Back when i was a LEO for a city agnecy we had to Colt Detective Specials the Detectives carried (makes some sense doesn't it). When we went to the FBI +P 150 gr lead HP I contacted Colt to see if it was compatable with the Colt DS. I was the Department firearms instructor at the time. Colt's Technical rep said there'd be no problems and there wasn't. I'm not sure if there was an "official" posture on that however.

Larry Gibson

smkummer
05-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Colts 1992 owners manual for the Detective Special recommneds having the gun checked for wear after 2000 to 3000 rounds of plus P. They state a 1000 round check for the alloy frames such as the agent and cobra if firing plus P. For comfort, I like shooting the 148 match wadcutters for informal practice. The plus P 150 to 158 shoot to the same point of aim as the wadcutters. I dont believe I have fired 300 rounds of plus P ( have fired several times more of standard ammo)out of my 1971 Detective special and its perfectly timed and tight. Again the recoil is somewhat noticable out of the 2 in gun. I used to have a 2 in. Colt Lawman .357 that was a big chunk of steel. Shooting .357 out of a 2 in. gun is like having a M80 go off right in front of you. Charles Petty ran an artical in american rifleman sometime in the early 80's and noted great peformance with 800X and the short barrel.

9.3X62AL
05-22-2009, 07:38 PM
The late-series Detective Specials are rated for +P loads, and the photo example is a late-series variant. The most common wear point is on the advancing hand's lower step. It just wears faster using +P loads, but over time any Colt D-frame revolver fired double-action will develop wear at that point.

leadeye
05-23-2009, 09:46 AM
My wife has carried one since 1979 and still does. Fine revolvers.

MT Gianni
05-23-2009, 03:40 PM
It should be great for you.

9.3X62AL
05-23-2009, 08:51 PM
I consider the Colt Detective Special to be the best compact 38 Special revolver ever developed. The late-series variant is the best version of that best example ever crafted, in my opinion. GREAT sidearms!

John F.
05-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I purchased a Colt DS new for my wife c. 1983, and the owners manual at that time also stated the pistol was ok for 3000 rds of +P with a checkup thereafter. Triggers on these tend to be pretty good, but a quality DA/SA trigger job makes them even more of a joy. Accuracy is more like a 4" service revolver than a "snubby" in my experience. Example: one day someone left one of the standard pistol chicken silhouettes out at 50 yards on our range. With some thrown-together-from-odd-components LSWC's, I fired 2 shots offhand to get the range, and then rang the chicken with the remaining 4 shots. My wife doesn't shoot often, but it's funny to see her shooting Double Action with it and blowing the doors off the targets of more experienced shooters with full-size pistolas...

Treat that Colt well, and you will be very happy with it. By the time you're 80, it will be a lifelong companion, friend, AND a valuable part of your retirement portfolio! :-P

BTW, the Pachmayr "Compac" rubber grips are slimmer than the issue wood ones, and we've found them to be much more comfortable, as well.

John

dk17hmr
05-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Well I didnt even get to shoot it and my girlfriend had laid claim to it.

The guy I got it from said it had been fired 30 times and he gave me the other 20 rounds that were in the box, cheap blaser aluminum case crap. We walked out to the range behind the house and shot those up. I like the little guy a bit big for pocket carry but smaller than my Kahr CW45, not by much though.

Needs smaller grips, but its a nice little shooter.

Lloyd Smale
05-25-2009, 06:14 AM
the cylinders and frames are strong enough for plus p but the lockwork is a little on the fragile side. Be careful when you pick up a used one as both the two i got needed retiming from wear. Even a detective that is shot extensively with non plus p ammo will eventually need a tune up.

9.3X62AL
05-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Ditto to John F's comment about Pachmayr Compacs. They improve about any small revolver's utility, and that goes double for the late-model DetSpec.

Ya did well, Doug!

dk17hmr
05-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Well we just got back from the range. I had some 358429's (my favorite bullet) loaded with 5.5gr of Bluedot, for plinking. Also had some 125gr XTP's loaded with 8.5gr of Bluedot. Both shot very very well, with the 125gr I put all six shots into the center of a bullseye and about 1.25" off hand at 10 yards. The girlfriend was able to produce a group about twice that size at the same distance.

I will probably keep it most of the summer and than she will take it over when we move. Ill look for a set of Pachmayrs, there is a set on my Moms Colt Detective, she has a nickle plated Gen 3, and I like those and they might fit the girlfriends hands better.

NVcurmudgeon
05-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I will probably keep it most of the summer and than she will take it over when we move. Ill look for a set of Pachmayrs, there is a set on my Moms Colt Detective, she has a nickle plated Gen 3, and I like those and they might fit the girlfriends hands better.

My 4" Police Positive Special (same frame as your DS) is rapidly becoming my favorite carry gun.
As a card-carrying feathermerchant my hands are fairly small. 9.3 X 62 Al made me a deal on Pachmayr Compac grips I couldn't turn down and changed my seven yd. defensive practice from night to day.