PDA

View Full Version : New GI Expert 1911 .45 ACP Auto Pistol

dpaqu
05-22-2009, 12:00 PM
I was reading the 1911 threads closely and was curious if anyone other than Mike in Co had the new GI Expert from Para and what they thought of it. I don't have any 1911 variants and when I saw the gunblast article on it I had to ask for other opinions. Seems a little to good of a deal. Maybe I should just save up for a S&W or a Charles Daly

Thoughts?
http://www.onpointsupply.com/images/para_ordnance_expert_gi45_1911_6.JPG

wiljen
05-22-2009, 12:12 PM
I played with one at a local dealer and wasnt impressed. It certainly doesnt live up to the GI standard as the mainspring housing and the trigger on the one I held were plastic. I'd buy a springer GI for the same $ I think.

mike in co
05-22-2009, 12:46 PM
if you do a google search you will find more info.
the trigger and the hammer were two issues others have addressed and both are replaceable.

my selection was based on company name/reputation. the tarus is made in brazil and i saw about a 50/50 acceptance of quality, tho a lot of gun if you get a good one; most of the others are made in the philippines and again i saw only about a 50/50 acceptance of quality. the para is made in canada, same as the rest of thier guns.
i took a gamble and i think it paid off.
remember my criteria was simply a basic 1911 for a reasonable price.
there is a 1911 site

m1911.org

mike in co

Larry Gibson
05-22-2009, 03:06 PM
If the quality of the Para GI Expert is anything like the quality of my retirement gift Para I'd certainly give serious thought to buying it. Excellent qulaity throughout and very tightly fitted. I've done the usual trigger job on mine but other than that it is box stock. I've put about 300 or so 200 gr SWC over 5 gr of Bulseye through it. It is every bit as accurate as my IPSC M1911. If I already didn't have a M1911 I'd buy it like I said.

Larry Gibson

technetium-99m
05-23-2009, 04:06 AM
My beef with Para lies with their use of proprietary parts. I will not own a 1911 that will not take any of the very high quality replacement parts out there. Just my opinion.

KYCaster
05-23-2009, 08:43 AM
My beef with Para lies with their use of proprietary parts. I will not own a 1911 that will not take any of the very high quality replacement parts out there. Just my opinion.

Tech, which parts are you refering to? I built my IPSC Limited gun on a steel Para frame with a Norinco slide and I didn't notice any unusual problems.

Jerry

mike in co
05-23-2009, 09:13 AM
i ould be interested in hearing too. like i said atleast one reviewer replaced the trigger and the hammer twice....no issues.

mike in co

DragoonDrake
05-23-2009, 09:49 AM
tech, the only problem with parts is the double stack. I have a single stack that I have been putting various parts in, the only problem that I have had was with the trigger.
Adam