PDA

View Full Version : What should I use for Fluxing my lead?

inuhbad
05-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey Guys...

What's a good flux I should use, and how do you know HOW MUCH to use???

sheepdog
05-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Wax, sawdust, kittyliter, old media, etc. Anything with carbon to take the oxygen out of the mix. Wax is used alot cause it burns off.

blackthorn
05-22-2009, 11:17 AM
All I use anymore is a length of VERY dry 1x2 lumber! Just throw the scrap lead into the cut-down propane tank I use for melting, let the lead melt and as soon as it does, mix the alloy up real good with the stick. Skim off the WW clips, old bolts etc. and then stir it again making sure to scrape the sides of the pot and get right down into the bottom too. Have a great day!

JSnover
05-22-2009, 11:31 AM
I stir mine with a hardwood dowel. The temp is right when the wood comes out charred and the lead doesn't stick to it.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-22-2009, 01:03 PM
I use a piece of an ordinary wax candle about 3/8" long. It melts immediately and starts to smoke (and stink). I toss in a lighted match and the wax catches fire. I stir until the flame goes out, being sure to scrape the botom and sides of the pot so that the crud and oxides rise to the surface. Skim the dross and empty in an old tin can. Sawdust,oiled or not, works well too. Also splinters of pine or other softwood can do the job. A commercial product called Marvelux is also around. It is a powder and it works well, but it costs more than the other stuff. LLS

DLCTEX
05-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Wax candle, bullet lube (bees wax), Paper from the shredder, motor oil, etc. but my choice is paint stir sticks from the paint store. Stir and scrape down the sides of the pot.

ciPeterF
05-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Cleanest alloy I've ever gotten was from using sawdust\chips (from tablesaw).. probably was a mix of cherry \ mdf \ melamine.. stir it in deep, brings all the crap to the top.. a heaping tablespoon (or two) in about 8 lbs

wiljen
05-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Anything carbon based without water in it. Simple as that.

Wood, crayons, transmission fluid, used motor oil, corn cob, dirty walnut media, you name it - its been used.

leftiye
05-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I just love answering this question! Almost anything you can get into the pot that will burn (not wet as mentioned, and some other caveats)! Often to stir with a stick is all that is needed.

GabbyM
05-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Corn oil from the kitchen.