PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a site with max chamber pressures by make/model

sheepdog
05-22-2009, 09:54 AM
For example if a S&W 586 can take more than a S&W 19-5 or a Blackhawk cna take more than a GP-100, etc

felix
05-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Don't know about a site that describes what you really want to know. However, there are quite a few sites that deliver info about various steels, and the elements therein. There is always a compromise in making the various steels for guns. We are mainly talking about tools required for machining/casting cheaply, and accurately for the various parts of the gun. We are talking about how the gun chamber in question reacts to a specified pressure curve. Things like expansion/contraction versus the thermal and mechanical wear, for example. Sticky brass typically means the steel expanded along with the case and then contracted more than the brass. That is a sign that brass lot (in BR guns) is on its last legs and should be swapped out. ... felix

wiljen
05-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I suspect that no such site exists as the minute you printed that info you open yourself up to law suits from somebody who tried to load to that maximum and had a part fail. The other part of that question is what service life do you expect from the gun? If you mean what is the max load that will never cause frame stretch or throat erosion or, barrel cylinder gap expansion or...

Old Ironsights
05-22-2009, 09:36 PM
I suspect that no such site exists as the minute you printed that info you open yourself up to law suits from somebody who tried to load to that maximum and had a part fail. The other part of that question is what service life do you expect from the gun? If you mean what is the max load that will never cause frame stretch or throat erosion or, barrel cylinder gap expansion or...

+1.

The legally printable "max pressure" of any firearm of a specific caliber is what SAAMI says it is...

Larry Gibson
05-22-2009, 10:49 PM
The pressures one see's as "SAAMI" pressures are not "max" pressures as such. They are MAPs, Maximum Average Pressures. The MPSM, Maximum Probable Sample Mean, is based on statistics and is taken to be 6.3% over the MAP. SAAMI recommends that no 10 shot sample Used for a MAP exceed the MPSM. Thus many MAPs for some lots of ammuntion could be well below the MPSM and the SAAMI listed "Maximum Averge Pressures".

Larry Gibson

Old Ironsights
05-22-2009, 11:02 PM
I know... but those (SAAMI) numbers are all you are likely to ever see in print outside of a Mfg's internal specs/test data for the liability reasons mentioned above.

sheepdog
05-22-2009, 11:39 PM
The pressures one see's as "SAAMI" pressures are not "max" pressures as such. They are MAPs, Maximum Average Pressures. The MPSM, Maximum Probable Sample Mean, is based on statistics and is taken to be 6.3% over the MAP. SAAMI recommends that no 10 shot sample Used for a MAP exceed the MPSM. Thus many MAPs for some lots of ammuntion could be well below the MPSM and the SAAMI listed "Maximum Averge Pressures".

Larry Gibson

Exactly. I know Ruger says a GP100 will take any factory load, even defensive loads with 0% fatigue. I know you can't even shoot normal strength 357 loads in a Colt Python without throwing the time out.

c3d4b2
05-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Here is a link that may help......

http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm