PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys, anybody ever use the SAECO .358/180 GC?

Waterboy
05-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Looks a bunch like the goup buy 360180. I know you guys made changes to it, I meant generally. I have a new rig that is a .41 Remington case necked to .358 with a shorter neck. I have some OAL constraints to deal with so the crimp to nose length is a little critical. About a 0.425" NTC is all I can handle for the application.

With the extra capacity and HP available I'd like to keep capacity and let the bullet nose hang out as much as my OAL limit will allow. As this is to be primarily a hunting arm I'm interested in a 160-180 gr. with a generous meplat. I have to have a GC too. What's out there with a FP (or HP) and a moderately longer nose?

What you think? I could use a good .358 GC mould of over 150 gr. too if anyone has an old used one reasonable.

SB

GabbyM
05-22-2009, 10:59 AM
I have that bullet here. The nose length is .330" crimp grove to tip. Meplate is about .230". If you make them from 50/50 alloy water quenched they'll expand if you shoot them over 1400 or 1500 fps. Which it sounds like you've enough powder to do.

My 200 grain Mountain Mold rifle bullet has a .510" L. nose so would be a bit long. It takes up less case capacity than the 180 grain bullet. Makes a dandy 357 mag or max single shot rifle bullet. Is this a revolver you're running? .425" is a long nose for a pistol bullet. You could probably make a nice fit to that by designing one on MM web page. they aren't much higher price than Saeco.

Waterboy
05-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Yes you guessed it, a revolver (.356 GNR). I was trying to hold off the hoots of how it wouldn't work etc. I actually have several "bottleneck" revolvers and enjoy them all. They do work and are worth the extra effort (hey it's fun too).

The .41 necked is kinda short at about 0.135" of actual gripping neck. The ctg. OAL allows the 0.425" to almost completely fill the Blackhawk .357 length cylinder. Rugers have shorter cylinders as the calibers digress. I also have a .44 M necked to .410" (.41 GNR) that shoots wonderfully with the 265gr. LBT LFN and a 0.450" crimp to nose length. But like I said the .41 has a longer factory cyl. length. The .35 bore cylinder can only handle about a 0.425" long nose. Most are either longer or shorter by quite a bit.

Another thing is with a shorter neck you can't have the lube groove into the bottom edge of the case neck or you loose some of the alignment surface of the bullet in the case. I got into that seating a plain base pointy 140 gr. .30 cal. in another application (.300 GNR). It just would not hold the bullet straight. One with more bearing surface inside the case works grand.

I'll toy with the Mountain program. Thanks!

Which brings me to my mext question.....for a new thread.