PDA

View Full Version : got a question about this Lee HP mould...

Tippet
05-21-2009, 11:18 PM
OK so I took the handles apart to make it easier to clean the mould. In the process I broke this little washer-thingy and called Lee, they said they'd send me a new one for free. great!
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n226/tayloroid/cast%20boolits/crownnut.jpg

But them this is what came instead:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n226/tayloroid/cast%20boolits/rin.jpg
I'm glad to have a spare new pin, but I don't know how I'll install it if I ever do. How do you do it? What do you use to expand the metal sticking through the hole so it doesn't fall out or damge the pin in the process?

oneokie
05-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Measure the part the "thingy" fits on, then go to a bicycle/tricycle shop and see what they have in the way of clips to retain wheels on tricycles.

Tippet
05-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Oh yes finding the crown nut or suitable substiutute shouldn't be too difficult. I'm trying to figure out the best way to affix the pin to the bracket . Any ideas?

HeavyMetal
05-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Peen it!

Drill a "cavity" not quite as deep as the thickness of the metal you want it to attach to and keep the diameter with in proportion as well.

inset itno the metal bracket take a steel pin that has a rounded end and put it in the "cavity. Then smack it firmly with a hammer. Supported correctly the base of the pin will swage over and crimp itself to the metal bracket.

Make sure you have the support figured out before you attempt this as you will only get one shot at it.

Tippet
05-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Never mind I used a boolit from that mould to support the pin while I whacked the top with a punch and ball-peen hammer. The top expanded just enough to keep it where it's supposed to be.

edit oh I like your idea HeavyMetal, drilling first would make the expansion much smoother

Tippet
05-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Bless their hearts, Lee sent me the items I'd asked for in a separate package. This time instead of that goofy non-threaded friction-washer and pin, they gave me the actual bolt & nut. Even sent an extra nut. All free of charge, I'm impressed by their service.

In contrast, I finally got the 4 machine screws I ordered from Lyman several weeks ago. Those guys must be very busy.

One issue left to resolve though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lee handles it with aplomb...the core pin they sent, pictured above, is technically correct for the boolit but doesn't match the old pin. The part's base shape is different, it has a ridge where the old one doesn't. The new one's base is also a little shorter. It won't fit in the blocks.

Also, the new pin is aluminum, the old one is steel. I'm thinking aluminum might be better since my main complaint is the high melt temps it takes to get the pin to play nice

LOL I wonder if they'll send the blocks for free too...anyway, if they still have the old blocks that match that pin, I guess I'm going to figure out how to remove and replace them from the assembly!

Cowboy5780
05-24-2009, 08:15 AM
You can go to Advance Auto they have an assortment of the push clips in there HELP section for a few bucks

Tippet
05-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks Cowboy. Even though I now have the correct threaded nut & bolt from Lee, it'll be good to have that broken item replaced, never know when it might come in handy.

mooman76
05-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I should tell them I need that part too for mine. I could use an extra pin for mine. They haven't made those in so long I'd of figured they wouldn't have them. I wish they went back to making them again.

Tippet
05-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Yes they seem to have given up on HP moulds