PDA

View Full Version : The new Man Cave arrived!!! PICS.

mikenbarb
05-21-2009, 03:21 PM
It finally arrived so now I gotta set it up. This should be interesting but at least I have tons of room now for my reloading and casting stuff. I went with a 14'x16' because it wouldnt fit anything bigger without removing some of the hill its next to. I posted a couple pics below of the progress and its gonna take a while till its the way I want it but I have plenty of time to figure it out.
:drinks:
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/002-48.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/004-37.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/001-48.jpg

45nut
05-21-2009, 03:38 PM
sweet

crabo
05-22-2009, 12:49 AM
That is nice. I would be interested in seeing pictures of what you do with it.

Buckshot
05-22-2009, 02:21 AM
.............Ya gonna do insulation, drywall, ceiling, etc?

..............Buckshot

NoZombies
05-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Haha, it's adorable! ;)

It should be a lot of fun setting that up, Congrats!

Crash_Corrigan
05-22-2009, 04:55 AM
Major insulation, twice as much electric than you could ever need, good lights and then enjoy. I had one of the Tuff Shed built on my rental property and when I moved the landlord was not going to give me a dime for it.

So I sold it to the guy across the street and we towed it with a 4 x 4 across the road to his place and although I lost some I also got some back.

Boz330
05-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Geeesssh what is this world coming to? A friend of mine was thrown out of his man cave last fall, his wife was making a sewing or quilting room out of it or some such thing. That had been his reloading place for 40 years, now he is in a similar setup in the back yard.
I have to admit that some of those portable buildings are way cool though. I got one for the shop to store all the stuff I don't want the FAA to see on inspections. It is 12X24 and built from some sort of insulation with sheet metal laminated to both sides, no wood in the thing. If you want really fancy they can put siding on the outside otherwise they are just painted.

Bob

theperfessor
05-22-2009, 09:16 AM
When I built our yard barn (from a kit) I put four layers of .004" black plastic on the ground and built on top of that. I curled the plastic up around the edges of the 2x4 floor frame and stapled it to the top of the floor around the edges. Built the walls up from there. When it was completely built I put some strips of aluminum flashing around base to keep plastic from being slit with weedeater.

Ten years later, dry floor, no rot around base. All the other yard barns in area rot from ground up, despite base being treated lumber. Didn't want this problem.

Had to build yard barn for mowers, etc. so I could have all of garage for MY man cave.

schutzen
05-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Nix on the drywall. Use OSB (oriented strand board). Primer paint it with Kilz and then top coat it with semi-gloss white. It is easy to keep clean, reflects light, and is not affected by moisture like drywall. Another plus is you can attach anything you want to the walls at any point. OSB holds screws far better than drywall.

RayinNH
05-22-2009, 01:36 PM
.............Ya gonna do insulation, drywall, ceiling, etc?

Just don't let the wife in to do curtains and the color scheme unless you want something called mauve, whatever the hell that is...Ray

Murphy
05-22-2009, 04:07 PM
NICE!

My first thing on the list would be to put a major 'BOOM BOX' in it. Those upper corners look to be begging for a speaker on each end. I'm a major music nut and have to have my 'tunes'.

I'm with Crash on more electrical outlets than you think you'll ever need. I've never been too big on having to run extension cords to melting pots or anything else I may need in the shop if possible. Better to put them in now than wish you had later.

I do like the swinging door open end, it'll make moving those really heavy or bulky items a lot easier to get into or out of your new 'Man Cave'...

Congrats!!!

Murphy

docone31
05-22-2009, 04:21 PM
If it were me, as it was when I did it, Cut a vent line in the roof, and put in a ridge vent. It is amazeing how rapidly fumes from casting find their way outside that way.
I would also insulate, and do drywall. I would use the bathroom drywall for a shed like that. I live in Flori-duh, and moisture is everywhere. The reason for that is when casting, heat has a way of makeing a Man-Cave into charcoal at the worst possible moments.
Mine is wired for 200amp 220V. Never know when a person might find a welder comes in handy. I put in running water, built shelving on both sides to be work benches. I also put in a seperate box with all circuits being designated in shielding.
I have two types of lighting. Daylight lights, and flourescent lights. Next is an airconditioner. Mostly to keep the moisture down. I do not like dies with that red colour on, and in them.
Storage is an issue. I built a lean-to matching my roof line for storage, and the washer and dryer.
I would definately do sheet rock for the fire possibility.

mikenbarb
05-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Im keeping real busy with the move and so far I have a 14" thru the wall automatic fan over the casting area with a large exhaust hood, Electric(20 & 30A 120v), Phone, Computer line, Heavy shelving, Cranking stereo, Apartment size refrigerator, A/C w/a dehumidifier, Wall mount LP blue flame heater and a few other odds and ends. The walls are going to be wood only and the floor is going to have insulated indoor/outdoor carpeting and the lighting is going to be area lights with a large 4' fluorescent in the middle up high. The ceiling is going to be insulated and sheetrocked and the work bench's are going to be welded heavy angle iron frames with 3/4" plywood tops with formica tops and drawers and shelving underneath for storage. Im also going to install a small toilet in the one corner to save a trip inside.LOL. The security is going to be hardened bar grating over the windows and the door, Heavy deadbolts and a alarm system with battery backup(And a 12 gauge in case that all fails.LOL.). The exterior is some kind of new plastic laminate baked on over exterior grade plywood(Cool stuff.) I will post pics as I go and any advice is welcome.
PS- The wife ISNT going near it! And its going to have a small loft for when im in the dog house.:D

mikenbarb
05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Heres a couple more pics of the temporary tables im using to figure where things will fit best. After I know where I want everything im gonna start building the work benchs and mount them permanently to the walls and floor. I found some nice racks im suspending from the rafters with chains for keeping the shotshell wads and things I dont use every day. I have tons of stuff to move in and sort thru. Its gonna take a while by the looks of it.LOL.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/001-49.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/002-49.jpg

oldhickory
05-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Don't forget heat!...And A/C!:mrgreen:

mikenbarb
05-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Yep, Got em both already. Thanks. :D

Boz330
05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Maybe you are neater than me but wherever you dispence powder, I would have vinyl flooring for easy clean up.

Bob

jdgabbard
05-29-2009, 10:31 PM
You could always go in, do some wiring, insulating, put up some interior walls (to separate yourself from the hot or cold outer shell), and put down up some more over head lights. Then it'd be the King's Castle of Man Caves!