PDA

View Full Version : Southern Primers

cajun shooter
05-21-2009, 08:11 AM
I Finally was able to go to my local reloading store and purchase LP primers on Wednesday. It's been about 3 1/2 months since I could do that . The owner a friend and fellow police officer is limiting everyone to 1000 each and I agree with that. I hope all the people who are selling primers on Gun auction for 3 and 4 times the normal price end up eating them!! I was down to my last 1000 and was going to have to quit shooting CAS or pay the price. I would not have paid the price to those greedy AH. So there might be light at the end of the tunnel and that is my reason for this post. They even have dealers who have the primers but are trying to sell at the greedy price rather than put them in store. My friend runs a small reloading store and if he gets primers then the supply line is beginning to open. Later David

218bee
05-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Hopefully this issue will come to an end and the sob's that tried to take advantage of the "frenzy" will be eating their stash. I've got quite a bit for now but the one thing I miss about all this shortage is being able to experiment.....for me reloading is all about experimentation and I miss not being able to go to the local shop and buy a 100 each of say Fed. CCI and Rem and try them in a given load to see if any works better than another. But as you say hopefully the supply will open up.

40pa
05-21-2009, 12:12 PM
I was going to post something similar. Yesterday I made my weekly call to my local shop asking if they had any small pistol primers in yet expecting the usual "not yet". My jaw dropped when he said they got a small shipment in. I was there in 10 minutes and bought 500 (their limit) federal primers. Maybe, just maybe, we are seeing the beginning of the end of the primer shortage.

j20owner
05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Whoa, 500 limit? That's crappy. At least the one place here in town I've found that has primers will let you buy a box worth at a time.

40pa
05-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Whoa, 500 limit? That's crappy. At least the one place here in town I've found that has primers will let you buy a box worth at a time.
That was my first thought as well. Once I thought more about it though, if it gives more people some primers during a shortage, I am all for it. 500 is 500 more than I had before I walked into the store. I'll just have to ration my shooting fun a little (but less than I was rationing before!)

RonF
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Out of curiosity, how much were you guys paying for primers before the election? I found a box of 100 Winchester LR primers from about 4 years ago (the last time I was into reloading before I had two jobs and then graduate school) and the price on them was $2.25. A couple weeks ago I picked some up at a local gun store for $5.00 per 100. Was I the victim of price gouging or is that the going rate?

Thanks,
Ron

mike in co
05-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Out of curiosity, how much were you guys paying for primers before the election? I found a box of 100 Winchester LR primers from about 4 years ago (the last time I was into reloading before I had two jobs and then graduate school) and the price on them was $2.25. A couple weeks ago I picked some up at a local gun store for $5.00 per 100. Was I the victim of price gouging or is that the going rate?

Thanks,
Ron

it is close to the CURRENT MARKET price, inspite of the whinnig of some people.

whine all you want , it is called supply and demand, it is part of the american system.

mike in co
05-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Hopefully this issue will come to an end and the sob's that tried to take advantage of the "frenzy" will be eating their stash. I've got quite a bit for now but the one thing I miss about all this shortage is being able to experiment.....for me reloading is all about experimentation and I miss not being able to go to the local shop and buy a 100 each of say Fed. CCI and Rem and try them in a given load to see if any works better than another. But as you say hopefully the supply will open up.

are you aware that primers are another VARIABLE in loading ?...that they vary from lot to lot ? and that trying to duplicate what the first 100 did, will be tuff unless you can buy the same lot ?

mike in co

RonF
05-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Mike,

I'm sorry if it sounded as though I was whining and I did not intend to step on any toes. I was simply asking a question to satisfy my own curiosity as I've been out of the loop for several years and did not have the opportunity to purchase primers before they became a hot commodity. I've heard that the local gun shop is over priced on some items, but I have no other local vendors to compare their prices to. I've also noticed that the same box of 500 .358 158gr bullets I paid $25 for 4 years ago is now $65. I'm not whining about that either as it is one of the factors that inspired me to begin purchasing casting equipment, and subsequently to find this forum, of which I'm grateful for the wealth of information that is disseminated by it.

Thanks,
Ron

sundog
05-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Ron F, 5 or 6 years ago primers were about $75 per case (5K) - which I thought a bit pricey at that time.

MikeinCo is right about primer results. Years ago I ran A LOT of cast loads through, IIRC an 03A3, all the same except the primer. I tested maybe 8 different LR primers including CCI BR2, and Fed Match. In THAT PARTICULAR test Rem LR were best. Groups and chrono reading were consistent within like primers on repeaded tests. BUT, from primer change to primer change groups and chrono readings changed, some significantly. Does that mean the primer X is bad because it did not perform well? Not at all. Change any one of the other variables, and primer X may be stellar. All it proves is that changing a variable 'can' change results.

Geraldo
05-21-2009, 05:09 PM

whine all you want , it is called supply and demand, it is part of the american system.

Mike,

Charge whatever you want to for primers, that's certainly your right as a businessman. It is also a customer's right to not do business with anyone they feel charges too much. Why do you jump into every thread involving primer prices to justify what you charge?

elkhuntfever
05-21-2009, 06:18 PM

And this from the same person that jumped GoldenRoyBoy for buying and selling on a local Colorado site?

EMC45
05-21-2009, 06:52 PM
I think it's funny about these prices. I looked on Graf today under their dealer page and they had $13.49 on Alliant powder per pound. And around 18 bucks a pound for IMR powders. And they had primers at 23.99 and down per thousand. Granted they don't have anything in stock, but it is nice to see the prices like this!

Echo
05-21-2009, 08:10 PM
If I had a shop, and didn't have any primers, I could advertise them for, Oh, Say, $10.99...

mike in co
05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
I think it's funny about these prices. I looked on Graf today under their dealer page and they had $13.49 on Alliant powder per pound. And around 18 bucks a pound for IMR powders. And they had primers at 23.99 and down per thousand. Granted they don't have anything in stock, but it is nice to see the prices like this!

prices with no inventory is poor managemant...lying to the customer.

midway does the same....it does not change the price on out of stock items, till inventory is recieved, even when they know the old price is not valid.

mike in co

waksupi
05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Primers are still under $30 here.

j20owner
05-22-2009, 01:26 AM
If you search around here, you can get them for $30/1000. The local store I got my 2400 from Wednesday had WLP for $42.50/1000. That's a little steep in my book, but I needed some right now, I'd probably suck it up and pay it.

Probably wouldn't pay $50/1000 though.http://xaclan.com/Heinrich/heinrich/smilies/shrug.gif

lead-1
05-22-2009, 01:37 AM
With only one small local shop and a few within an hour of here, none had any primers. For like two months there were no primers around, the gun site forums and gunbroker type sites selling them from 90-150 bucks per 1000 plus shipping its ridiculous. A friend of mine travels a bit and stopped in a shop to check on a new rifle and they had quite the selection of primers so he bought 10 bricks of large rifle and 5 bricks of small rifle thinking he would help out the guys locally that are out and complaining about 100+ dollar primers and sell them for exactly what he has in them. They act like he is a crook and he shows them the recipt to prove he is selling at his cost cost which is $49.11 tax and all. He has a couple of guys that groaned at him for trying to rip them off and now that they know they are selling for more than twice that they want some and he just tells them that he can't sell them any because he doesn't want to be known as a crook. I stopped at a shop today that had small pistol and 209's at $6.99 per 100 which is over 74 bucks per thousand with tax a they think my friend is a crook.

BTW, all the shops within an hour or more of here are still basically out of primers.

j20owner
05-22-2009, 01:40 AM
In your case, I'd pay the $49.11. [smilie=l:

WildmanJack
05-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Just bought 1000 LR Primers by Winchester at of all places Bass Pro shop for $29.00. Couldn't believe it!!
Jack

j20owner
05-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Just bought 1000 LR Primers by Winchester at of all places Bass Pro shop for $29.00. Couldn't believe it!!
Jack

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Last primers I saw at a Bass Pro were in 100 count sleeves for around $5.50/100. And this was BEFORE the buying/hoarding crap!

WildmanJack
05-22-2009, 11:48 AM
I was just as sruprised as u when I asked the gal at the register, "How much are these?" I only bought a thousand, figured somebody else could grab some as well..
Jack