PDA

View Full Version : Show us how you store and organize your molds?

SciFiJim
05-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I have only been casting for about a month now and already have four molds. I can see that molds will be like rabbets and rapidly multiply. Currently they are sitting side by side on a shelf. This make it easy to find what I am looking for.

I know that some casters have lots more molds. How do you keep them stored and organized. A picture is worth a thousand words. Please show or tell us how YOU do it.

ddeaton
05-20-2009, 02:54 PM
You dont want to see mine! I have a hard time finding them when I need them.

Kraschenbirn
05-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Don't have a pic handy but, for single and double-cavity moulds (other than Lee), I use cedar cigar boxes with internal dividers made from 3/16" molding strip. Can get (10) moulds in one of the 7"x10"x 1 1/2" boxes that originally held (25) Bolivar Churchills. For Lees and 4-cavity moulds (I don't own any 6-cavity), I made a 12" wide x9" high x 12" deep wooden box divided into a dozen "pigeon-holes." Both cigar boxes and pigeon-hole box are kept inside a closed cabinet with an open jar of silica gel crystals to preclude rusting.

Bill

Ben
05-20-2009, 04:48 PM
I run a golden rod in mine , good for 200 sq. feet .

Molds are always warm to the touch when I open the cabinet and pick one up.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13322

sheepdog
05-20-2009, 05:08 PM
I put mine in big zip lock bags I get from network and telephone accessory packs. About the size of a board game box. I stack them side by side, handle to head and back.

Bret4207
05-20-2009, 05:48 PM
I currently have 80+ moulds at last count. I took a dead refrigerator, added a 25 watt light bulb in a fixture and there is no rust issue. There is however a weight issue. I still need to beef my supports from the last CRASH!

303Guy
05-20-2009, 05:54 PM
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-833F.jpg

What?! That's axactly how it is! How do I find things and know which is which? Easy, I scratch around and try a few until I get the right one! What?!:mrgreen:

:drinks:

Patrick L
05-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I too have no pic handy, but I store my molds dry, with the last cast still in the cavities. The Lee molds simply go back in their boxes. The iron Lyman and SAECO molds get wrapped in that brown vapor paper, then put in their boxes. I store the boxes in sealed GI ammo cans. I bought 2 big 40mm cans that hold about 8 Lee six bangers each, with extra space for the smaller Lyman and SAECO boxes thrown in too. The double cavity Lees fit in a .50 caliber can.

I live in the Northeast, where its usually not very humid, except sometimes in the summer. My system might not work for the deep South, but I've never had any rust.

madcaster
05-20-2009, 07:58 PM
G.I. Ammo boxes work too!

Ben
05-20-2009, 08:01 PM
If the system will keep molds rust free here in the South East, then it will work anywhere.

Ben

btroj
05-20-2009, 08:34 PM
What exactly does the word "organize" mean? Not familiar with that one.

Brad

Ben
05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
I think he is asking, how do you store your molds so that you can get your hands on a mold quickly ( assuming you have many molds )

btroj
05-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Sorry Ben- I suppose sarcasm doesn't work well over the web.

My molds are not very organized- the ones I use the most are in a pile, with ahndle attached, next to the pot. The others are in a couple of cabinets or a shelf above my reloading bench.

This is an area where each person needs to have a system that works with their level of OCD about organization. What works for one may besomething another is not willing to do.

Crash_Corrigan
05-20-2009, 10:14 PM
I have yet to unpack from my latest migration.

I know deep in my heart that there are two 20 MM ammo cans just chuck full of molds somewhere in this trailer. There are Lee sizer dies from .308 to .314, a few in .224, .264, .355, .356, .357 and .358 and a few more for 44 and 45's in that rat's nest.

I cast and load: .223, 6.5 x 55 MM, .30 Carbine, 30-06, 30-30, 8 MM, .380 ACP, 9 MM, 40 S&W, 38 & 357, 45 ACP and 45 Colt. I have molds and brass for all these calibers somewhere in the mess.

Consequently I can find hardly anything.:killingpc It really ticks me off to have to buy a tool to use when I know that I have one somehwere in this mess.

I just need to spend at least an hour a day to reorganize this pile of treasures so I can enjoy the golden years of my retirement in a stress free Living Room with a reloading bench, casting table, large plasma TV and all my treasures neatly organized and placed on new commercial quality shelves on two sides of the room

Martha Stewart would throw up but I will love it.

Not having a SWMBO around has some advantages.

East wall to have two 6'x6'Hx18"D shelf units end to end for a 12' x 6' x 18" Shelf.
This will be against the outside wall and allow some light into the run through the curtains. Next will be a 24" aisle to allow me to stand and work. Then will be my wooden loading/casting table workbench. I picked this up at Costco some years ago for about a hundred bucks. It was made in China but pretty well and has a large number of storage drawers lined with felt.

South wall to have my Oak Armoire Computer thingie. I have been dragging this monster around for 15 years but I like it and it has and will serve me well. On other side of doorway on South wall will be my Lazey Boy Recliner Leather Couch. Can any man cave be complete without on of these?

West wall will again be a 12' shelf double unit. And a grandfather clock which has been following me around for years.

Somewhere in the center area will be a leather recliner and a large wooden rocking chair and a cocktail table.

On the North wall there are two doors but just between them a plasma TV sits with the x box 360 attached.

Decor to be my photos of favorite dogs and fishing holes.

Once the whole joint is done to my satisfaction I might even paint the ceiling with another coat of white paint.

The trailer was gifted to me and I do not intend to sink a lot of bucks into it as it was made in '64 and similiar sales in the area are only coming up with five hundred to fifteen hundred bucks.

When my ship comes in {sure} I will just pack up my treasures again and walk away without regrets.

I have a small narrow but tall bookcase to located somewhere and my gun safe will reside in the kitchin. Microwave to be mounted on top and the piece de resistance will be a battleship grey multi drawer steel cabinet on the porch to keep my brass tidy. US Navy surplus.

fredj338
05-21-2009, 12:52 AM
My casting setup is on a Craftsman metal bench w/ drawers & a cabinet under. I store the molds & handles in two drawers w/ a rechargeable desic. pack. ANother drawer has the lube stuff for my Star & the cabinet holds alloy & misc casting stuff, ingot molds, etc.

Glen
05-21-2009, 01:06 AM
My lovely wife bought me a 3-tiered mechanics toolbox for my moulds a few years ago, so I am able to keep most of them organized as to brand, number of cavities, HPs, etc. (notice I said "most"....the organization out in my garage is less than perfect...).

ddeaton
05-21-2009, 07:55 AM
What exactly does the word "organize" mean? Not familiar with that one.

Brad

I was wondering the same myself. Kidding aside, I keep mine in wood kitchen cabinets in the basement inside plastic shoeboxes. If they have original boxes, I keep them stored in them without the handles. My basement is dry and never a rust problem inside the wooden cabinets, no need for heat of any kind. I would worry about fire with anything plugged in all the time. If I tried to store them out in my workshop it would be a different story.

cajun shooter
05-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Ammo cans with plenty of packs of silica from my local Wally World. It works in Louisiana which I believe has as much humidity as anywhere on this terra firma

bedwards
05-21-2009, 10:37 AM
ammo cans with original packing for mine on a book shelf

44man
05-21-2009, 12:16 PM
OH MY, do you want to laugh? [smilie=1:

SwedeNelson
05-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Not very organized but it works.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/swedenelson/Picture233.jpg

Swede Nelson

Frank