PDA

View Full Version : Scope Question

Creedmoor
05-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Morning all,

What is the difference between a "shotgun" scope and a regular rifle scope?

From what I can find out the two main differences are: 1) - built to handle heavier recoil. Not sure if this is true or not as there are rifle cartridges with substantially more recoil than even a heavy 12 ga. magnum load. 2) - parallax is set for 50 yards rather than the usual 100 yards. This one does make some sense - but is it true? The other differences might be smaller physical size, heavier reticle and fixed or lower magnification range.

Reason I am asking is that typically shotgun scopes sell for less than rifle scopes and appear to be of equal quality if from the same manufacturer. I have a couple of nice "shotgun" scopes that I think would work nicely on 22 rimfire rifles. The parallax seems like it would be about right for a 22 and the smaller size/weight would be a plus too. I'm also thinking of putting one on a 336 in 30-30.

So, tell me gents, am I up in the night with this line of thinking or does it actually make some sense to use these smaller, stouter, less expensive scopes on short to medium (max 200 yards) range rifles?

Appreciate any comments and advice you'ld care to share.

Slow Elk 45/70
05-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Creedmoor, Hullo , I have a couple that I use on 45/70 levers, WFM , for all the reasons you mention. At first I was concerned with the parallax , but haven't found it to be a problem.

HEAD0001
05-20-2009, 01:45 PM
I have discussed this with a few different scope manufacturers over the years. In a line for line comparison there is no "build" difference in the scopes. The only difference is the parallax. In other words in the same line of scopes the shotgun, MZ, or rimfire scope is built to the same standards. Tom.

Larry Gibson
05-20-2009, 02:01 PM
I have discussed this with a few different scope manufacturers over the years. In a line for line comparison there is no "build" difference in the scopes. The only difference is the parallax. In other words in the same line of scopes the shotgun, MZ, or rimfire scope is built to the same standards. Tom.

Correct answer except that some have different reticles , mostly for turkey hunting.

Larry Gibson

felix
05-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Parallex only comes into play for high powered target shooting. When the power is set close to 4X or less, and the fixed parallex is set at 50-100 yards, you are OK. ... felix

Hurricane
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Several years ago I standardized all my rifles on the Weaver K 2.5 scope. I have rimfires, 30-30 and 308 with the same scope and it works well on all of them. All look the same, no adjustments are needed, and I am never on the wrong power. Paralex has never been a problem and will not be a problem as long as I look straight into the scope. I can shoot from 20 yards to 200 yards with no problem. I believe Weaver has either reduced or stoped production of the K 2.5. The shotgun scopes should be a good substitute. If I need more scopes I will get a shotgun scope in the 2x, 2.5x, or 3x power range. I once to had a Weaver 2-7x scope on my rifle but I discovered I never used anything but 2x. I believe the paralex problem is more an advertising gimmic than a real problem. After using scopes with no paralex adjistments it suddenly became a big deal to have the right paralex setting. One more thing to get someone to buy a new scope.

Doc Highwall
05-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Shotgun scopes have the parallax set mostly for 75 yards and the power is often no more then 5x. Parallax is just a fancy way of saying at what distance that the scope is focused at, or parallax free at that distance.

fordwannabe
05-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I use a mueller optics 2-7 on my 45-70 lever and one on my 35 remmy and asking for one for my 30-30 for fathers day. I love them for the type of hunting I do. I did shoot the reticle loose after several years on the 45-70 and they sent me a new one for just about the cost of shipping($7 or $9 or somwthing). It has an illuminated reticle and a circle within a circle arrangement. They have gone up a bit since I got my first one but today I was able to find one on line for $138. Works well. Good luck. Tom

S.R.Custom
05-20-2009, 06:45 PM
In a line for line comparison there is no "build" difference in the scopes. The only difference is the parallax.

Shotgun scopes have longer eye relief. ;)

Creedmoor
05-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks Everyone,
I think I'll just use 'em and not worry about it. Unless I have problems. Hmmm... but it would also provide a good excuse for missed shots (hahahahahaha) :)

kingstrider
06-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Shotgun scopes often have a heavy duplex reticle. Works great for that purpose or for a muzzleloader but makes precision shots at long ranges difficult.