PDA

View Full Version : Finally got Model 64 to the range

Four Fingers of Death
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
I mentioned a few months ago that I had bought an old S&W Model 64 38 Special. I didn't know about it at the time and thought that it was a nickle plated gun. It is a stainless version of the Model 10 I have since found out.

I got this gun very cheap, $AU200. It is very tight and has sharp corners everywhere. I think it has lived in a holster and hasn't been taken out much.

I finally picked it up and took it to the range today. I took some Federal el cheapo American Eagle ammo to the range and some reloads. The gun shot well. Here is a pic of the first 5 shot group at 17 yards. It was cold and windy and almost dark, my eyes were bleary from the wind and I'm an old fart, so I suppose this is a pretty good group considering. It's a keeper!
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Handguns/20090520MicksModel64FirstGroup.jpg

dubber123
05-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Nice to see the windage is right on. That was always my biggest fear buying a fixed sight gun. I have quite a few, and only 1 was ever off, my 2" mod. 64. My old mod. 10 is the blued version of your 64, and was the first "good" gun I ever owned. I still have it. If it's as good as my M10, good luck wearing out your 64.

Four Fingers of Death
05-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks, I have to de-horn it, there are sharp bits everywhere. The top right hand of the Smith triggers bite my big fingers and the edges of the hammer and the cylinder latch are very sharp. A bit of judicous stoning and it will be a great gun. I'm 61 and I have three Smiths, a few Colts, a few clones and a whole passel of Ruger SAs, I think someone else willl be wearing them out, but I'll do my best.
Four Fingers.

Firebricker
05-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Got to agree hard to wear one out. I have a M65 in 357 mag I shoot a lot. The fixed sights on it are pretty much on but it shoots a little high. I'm gessing since mine was a police trade in the front sight is prob set for 125gr and I don't have any moulds lighter than 158gr.
Four Fingers at least you'll have a lot of fun trying to wear it out I sure am. FB

Buckshot
05-22-2009, 02:12 AM
http://www.fototime.com/C291714B14F2E4D/standard.jpg

Pretty much a cousin to my M67. It's a good shooter, but the K38 is still king of the roost :-)

..............Buckshot

cajun shooter
05-25-2009, 08:05 AM
When I went on the force, the 64 was the issue gun for most departments. It's a strong gun and will shoot great. Y'all probably don't want to hear this but the way we were taught to correct the POI on any fixed sight gun was to give it a good rap with a huge chuck of lead. That was per S&W training at the factory. Many a cop would get a blank look on his face when he would see us perform this act. We decided to take them in the back room so that they could not watch. Later David

sd95B
06-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Cajun Shooter,

I have heard this many times before but have never seen it done. Where exactly do you hit it, on the barrel or the frame? Thanks for the help.

cajun shooter
06-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Never hit the FRAME!!!! The factory supplied us with a 1 in by 6in piece of round lead for this. You have to have a certain touch to do this. If you Bubba it with a hammer then you have a heavy fishing weight for them swift currents.