PDA

View Full Version : Multitester w/thermometer setting

cheese1566
05-20-2009, 12:03 AM
I was at Sears today and came across multitesters for $22 and $30. They came with K type thermocouples for temp readings. The specs stated the tester itself was good up to 1400 degrees and the supplied thormocouple was listed up to 382 degrees.
Were could I get (and how do I adapt) a higher rated thermocouple?
I could get more use out of another tester and the cost would be the same as a casting thermometer.

Box13
05-20-2009, 01:29 AM
I have a fluke meter and it uses a k type thermocouple that goes up to 1500...I get them from an electrical supplier locally.You might find one at graingers or a hvac distributer...Robin

montana_charlie
05-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Were could I get (and how do I adapt) a higher rated thermocouple?
I could get more use out of another tester and the cost would be the same as a casting thermometer.

Since 'cost' is one factor in your figuring, you should know that the thermocouple you want will be in the 20 to 40 dollar range.
I think I bought mine on eBay for something around the low end of that.

On the question about adapting...
K-type thermocouples have (or need) yellow connectors. Yellow ones are made with the right metal for 'K'. Using a connector with the wrong metal appears as another junction...which screws up the temperature reading accuracy.

The 'standard' connector is somewhat large, and has round pins for connecting to instruments that accept them. The pins have different diameters so polarity is maintained when connected.

Many K-type tc's come with a 'miniature' connector, which has flat, blade-type pins...but, the Sears multimeter appears to accept banana jack leads.

So, the meter probably includes an adapter that is double-banana on one side and miniature K-type on the other.

Some tc's are sold with no connector. You have to obtain the connector of your choice elsewhere, and they can be ridiculously priced sometimes. Be sure to know whether you need standard or miniature, and choose yellow.
No special skills are required to put a connector on a thermocouple.

And...don't lose that adapter for the banana jacks. Finding one of those at a reasonable price can be a real odyssey

You want a liquid probe-style thermocouple (wires encased in a metal tube) with insulation rated to take the highest expected temperature...1000 degrees, at least.

If you choose one with a 'grounded junction' it will react to temperature changes more quickly.

CM

lead-1
05-23-2009, 05:11 PM
What is the ideal temperature to cast bullets or does it depend on the mix?

GLL
05-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Here is my thermometer bought on close-out at Harbor Freight. The 1000 degree K-thermocouple is from an outfit that sells on eBay and ran $9.00 a couple years ago. The setup is dead-on at 100 degrees C & 463 degrees F (4-12-84 liquidus) ! :)

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/11E8391FEDF1E74/standard.jpg

Texasflyboy
05-29-2009, 04:47 PM
(and how do I adapt) a higher rated thermocouple?[/B]

Not hard at all.

See the thread:

Adapting K Thermocouples (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=31728)