PDA

View Full Version : 50-70 Smokeless loads

DwarvenChef
03-05-2006, 03:38 AM
Looking for info on smokeless loads for the 50-70 that will be used in an Encore. I have seen that 5744 is used but I'm worried about case fill. I would like to use this for pigs and such, thus need to be able to trust the loads.

Anyone with info like this?

Buckshot
03-05-2006, 08:35 AM
....................Can't help with any smokless loads for your 50-70, nor do I have any personal issues (like some might) but I want to ask why not load it with BP and go hunting? Definately has enough juice for the job.

................Buckshot

DwarvenChef
03-05-2006, 10:56 AM
I've been using it with BP in my Springfield 1869 Trapdoor. Wanted to try something different.

G50-70
03-05-2006, 11:15 AM
The Accurate Smokeless Powders Loading Guide has a couple of listings for the 50-70 with 5744. If you download their quide in pdf format its listed on page 44.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/2003guide.pdf

Gary

Dale53
03-05-2006, 02:39 PM
DwarvenChef;
The Lyman Cast Bullet Book has lots of smokeless loads for the 50/70. It also lists duplex blackpowder/smokeless loads for several bullets. That is a favorite loading method of mine for original black powder cartridges. It is powerful enough for most anything you will be shooting with the 50/70, fills the case (actually can do a compressed load) and eliminates most of the objections to straight black powder. You can literally shoot all day without cleaning. Fouling ceases to be a problem.

I normally take the full charge of black, reduce it by 10% and place 10% (by weight) of smokeless over the primer. A compressed load prevents shifting of the powders. It burns VERY clean, and gives slightly better ballistics than black powder alone. Clean up is just like any other black powder load except that there is much less fouling. I prefer to use a .060" wad over the powder (it protects the bullet base). Wad material can be LDPE (my favorite) or vegetable fiber.

My favorite smokeless powder for duplex loads is RL-7 but 4759 or 4227 also work well.

Dale53