PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 brass question

btroj
05-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I have a Marlin with a tight neck in the chamber. It shoots well with .312 bullets but with that size bullet i have a hard time chambering or extracting every 10th to 15th case. I can size the bullets smaller and they run thru fine but they are not as accurate. Yes, the rifle is micro-groove.

Speaking in generalities only as I know brass varies from lot to lot- Who makes brass with the thinest necks in 30-30? I've been using Rem brass and wondered if anyone had ever checked to see if Starline or Win brass tended, yes tended, to run thinner.

Brad

Shiloh
05-19-2009, 03:14 PM
You could turn the necks a little.

Midway and Sinclair both have turning tools.

Shiloh

docone31
05-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I get Remington brass because it is thicker. I have never checked.
This has me wondering, if you seat your castings useing the seat die, why does it not size the neck also? I am not referring to inside sizeing, but outside?
I would look there.
Yes, brass does make a difference.
If Wolf makes 30-30 loads, I might consider purchaseing some loaded Wolf ammo. I found the brass for my .303 British paper thin. I still got over 30loads each with casting vs jacketeds.

TREERAT
05-19-2009, 03:26 PM
on the starline I had the neck thickness was thicker than win. or rem. which I liked because my chamer was oversize anyway.

If I remamber correctly privi partasan had the thinest necks, and I found it was very good reloadable brass, but primer pocket depth was inconsistent.

Larry Gibson
05-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Winchester and RP necks are pretty close to the same; .011-.013". I suspect the necks causing the problem are probably thickened down toward the shoulder from sizing. Do you NS? If not then the cases will stretch and the necks will thicken close to the shoulder as thicker brass flows forward. I'd suggest NSing. You can seperate out the cases that don't stick and use those. The others can be relegated for smaller bullets. If you don't want to segregate the cases then the solution is the turn the necks as mentioned. You need only true up the outside and not remove very much. Neck sizing will still be the best way to go even with the turned necks.

Larry Gibson

DLCTEX
05-19-2009, 06:46 PM
I find .311 works well in my Marlin, have you tried that? An extra .001 may help. I also neck size with a Lee collet sizer.

btroj
05-19-2009, 10:35 PM
I've got as sinclair turner and have used it to clean up a few necks- just enough to clean up 50 to 75% of most cases. I was just hoping to avoid this. Next to trimming cases this is my least favorite thing in reloading. Not a big deal but I'd like to have 100 to 150 cases for this rifle and don't looki forward to turning that many but I suppose it's what the rifle wants.

Any of you guys tried the sinclair cases driver that goes in a power screwdriver?