PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1875 clone malfunction question

rogerthat
05-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Let me start by saying that I know this may be too general of a question to answer here, but there's no harm in asking I suppose.
So here goes: I bought a used Remington 1875 Clone (marked EMF) in .45C about a year ago. It's a nice looking pistol, but it has a nasty tendency to lock up on me. I'll fire a few rounds and then nothing will move. The hammer won't come back, the trigger won't move and the cylinder seizes. I have to pull the cylinder pin and wiggle the thing out. I note that it seems to leave a scar mark on the back of one of the cases (I can't tell which one after wrangling it out). Anyone have any ideas or is this like asking an automobile forum "why won't my car start"?

S.R.Custom
05-19-2009, 12:34 AM
...or is this like asking an automobile forum "why won't my car start"?

Not at all. It's probably something wrong in the action. :razz:

j20owner
05-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Wonder if it's a problem with the hand. What I would do is mark the cylinder and see if it does it at the same place at all times. Then try and attempt it with the cylinder out.

As for your car not starting, check your battery, check for fuel, check for spark. ;)

Calamity Jake
05-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Your gun is a Uberti 1875 Outlaw imported be EMF, it has a hamer mounted firing pin like the old Colt the 1875 and the Uberti Colt clones are bad about causing a burr to form around the firing pin hole in the recoil shield.
Remove the cylinder and using a good flat medium or hard sharpening stone remove the burr around the firing pin hole, GO SLOW DO NOT REMOVE METAL FROM THE RECOIL SHIELD AS THIS WILL INCREASE HEADSPACE stone enough to remove the burr and put a small bright ring around the FP hole. This is an easy fix, just go slow

This should fix the sticking, if it does not then take it to a gunsmith to look at.

Dry firing these Uberti's will cause the problem to return.

On a side note: DO NOT shoot hot loads in the 1875 or the other Uberti SAs they are not much stronger than the guns they are copied after but all in all a good gun for the money.