PDA

View Full Version : silly question

hoss-noogy
05-18-2009, 09:34 PM
I recently just started casting some 30 caliber boolits. They have a place for a gas check and I have gas checks for them. My problem is ,I dont have a sizer for seating the checks. They are coming out at 309 diameter so I am satisfied with that. I have stuck some of the checks on the bottom but I can take my fingernail and pull them off. Is this acceptable or do I need a sizer to press them on.

Thanks

454PB
05-18-2009, 09:46 PM
You don't want a gas check loose inside the case. Assuming your powder charge will not fill the case up to the bottom of the gas check, it's best to crimp the check in place via sizing. I used the non crimping Lyman checks for years with no problems, but they were a tight fit that didn't pull off easily.

You could also use a dab of super glue to secure them. You can get a Lee sizer for less than $20 if you don't want to invest in a lubrisizer.

hoss-noogy
05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
You don't want a gas check loose inside the case. Assuming your powder charge will not fill the case up to the bottom of the gas check, it's best to crimp the check in place via sizing. I used the non crimping Lyman checks for years with no problems, but they were a tight fit that didn't pull off easily.

You could also use a dab of super glue to secure them. You can get a Lee sizer for less than $20 if you don't want to invest in a lubrisizer.

Thought about that but dont the lee have to meet resistance to apply.I have some of the lee sizers in pistol calibers but none of my pistol molds have gas checks

Slow Elk 45/70
05-19-2009, 03:23 AM
Hoss , used correctly the Lee will crimp the check , as stated super glue them until you get a sizer , Good Luck.

AZ-Stew
05-19-2009, 04:00 PM
As long as the base of the bullet doesn't go into the case farther than the bottom of the neck, the neck will keep it from falling down into the case. Gas pressure will keep them on the boolit base until the boolit clears the muzzle, and passing through the bore will probably crimp them on well enough that they'll stay on in flight. That having been said, it's best to push them into (lube/sizer) or through (Lee) a die to crimp them on before loading them.

Regards,

Stew