PDA

View Full Version : Problem with leading

BIGGUNGOBOOM
05-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Been developing some loads for the 500 S&W, Lee 440Grn mold, Wheel Weights, dropped on water, sat for two weeks, then applied Lee Alox, Sized at .501, GC seated and the re lubed with alox.
Load

Gun, Magnum Research BFR, 500 S&W, 7-1/2 barrel
I only got threw 8 shots

(1) 14.5 Grns of Titegroup 5 shots
(2) 15.0 Grns of Titegoup 3 shots then gave up

after 8 shots the barrel was completely leaded from half way down the barrel to the crown, from the forcing cone to half way there was no leading !!

What went wrong ????????

the only thing that I did is after loading the bullets into the cases I wiped the alox of the nose of the bullet. could this have caused the leading????

I heard that with Titegroup you need to run bullets more towards max, should I jump the charge more towards max?
I am at a loss here, I havent had issues with alox before, but now I am wondering if the 50 bullet is just to much for it??????
Maybe Pan Lube, but then I would need to find a good Pan Lube

Thoughts fellas???

Slow Elk 45/70
05-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Big , could be a lot of things.... have you slugged your chamber throats and bore ? Are you sizing .001-.002 over size ?

It may be the alox, but it may not . You could melt down some stick lube, if you have any and use it to pan lube with to try and see if this is the problem. Go to the Sticikies , there are a lot of threads on this there.

Leading halfway down the bore... You don't want to hear this, but you might have a constriction or rough place in your bore.

Try changing lube, then powder. After you have slugged the bore if you haven't, you might also feel a place where the slug get tite or hangs up.

I hope it is the Alox, some folks say that they don't like it on boolits .458 and up. I have had no problems , but that is me. I don't load any thing over .460.
Good luck.

stubshaft
05-18-2009, 02:07 AM
Is there any possibility of having J-word boolits fouling in barrel?

TREERAT
05-18-2009, 02:12 AM
also try air cooling your bullits. I had been water dropping thinking I needed harder. and many members here talked me into trying air cooled. (THEY WERE RIGHT) in my case, I can push a air cooled pb much faster than I can water droped with red dot and unique. at .003 over. but your gc should make up for some of this.

BUT first make sure you have the right size bullit as slow elk said above. that is the first step you need.

dromia
05-18-2009, 02:19 AM
As has been said first of all check your boolit fit, then look to your lube that load might be asking too much from the alox.

TREERAT
05-18-2009, 02:43 AM
I have pushed lee luqid alox to 2,300 fps with a gas check in a 30-30, so alox probably is not the problem. here is what I would do in order:

1- slug barrel
2- slug chamber throats
3- if chamber throats are smaller than barrel slugs, you need to have them opened up because it will never shoot cast as well as it could.
4-if chamber throat is larger than barrel, size the bullit as large as you can and still chamber a round.
5-try both air cooled and water droped and note difference.
6-try different powder
7- try different lube
8- beg for assistance from members here who are smarter than me!

TREERAT
05-18-2009, 02:49 AM
I just re read your post, it does sound kinda like you are running out of lube. how thin are you applying it? might try a little thicker. the 2,300 fps with a 30-30 I mentioned were very heavy with alox, almost filled lube groves, brown and nasty, but shot quite well.

looseprojectile
05-18-2009, 09:25 AM
I got the Lee fifty caliber mould and gas checks for a friends S&W. After sizing and seating the checks in the Lee push through I lubed them with a thin coat of LLA and a thin coat of paste wax. Used an alloy of WW and Lino with a little added tin. [fairly hard] IIRC I put eight WW and one linotype ingots and about four ounces of 50/50 solder in the old Lyman bottom pour pot. Air cooled. Could probably have done without the tin.
He loaded them with a charge of H 110 to achieve 1300 FPS. This is in a long barrel. Absoutely not a speck of fouling or leading. Accuracy is outstanding,
better than factory loads. Less recoil:roll:.
I just hope that I never have to shoot that gun[smilie=l:.

Life is good

44man
05-18-2009, 11:52 AM
LLA does the same thing in my .44, .45, 475 and 45-70 revolvers.
Felix or Lar's lubes cure the problem. I suppose the LLA might be good for 2" of barrel.
Anyone doing good with it might find no difference with a bare boolit.

fredj338
05-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Check the lube & dump the TG. It is one of the hotter burning powders & I hear guiys complaining aobut leading in all bore dia. Not to mention TG occupies so little of that big case. Go to Unique for low vel. loads. It seems just made for lead bullets. You can try double dipping the LLA, it sounds like you are running out of lube.
Check the bore too. You can put a tight patch down it on a bore jag & feel a rough spot in the bbl.

runfiverun
05-18-2009, 10:45 PM
chuck the lla it's failing.

Bret4207
05-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Reading your OP yu said you WD them, waited 2 weeks and THEN sized? You might try reversing that order- size right away. It seems that sizing later work softens the lead. That might have nothing to do with your problem, but then again it might.

If it were me, I'd get my barrel scrupulously clean of any and all fouling, slug it, size at least .001 over grove size if not at least throat size and start with a lower powered load and work up.

Echo
05-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Of all the above advice, the most important is to check your chamber throats and slug your barrel. If your groove diameter is (say) .502, your .501 boolits will lead the bore like a champ. If your chamber throats are .500 and your bore is .501, you will lead like a champ, no matter WHAT your boolit diameter is. Size your boolits chamber throat diameter, and if the throat is larger than the groove diameter, your leading problems should be over (assuming some reasonable lube).