PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a STAR Luber Page?

Texasflyboy
05-17-2009, 09:21 PM
I've managed to gather some information (historical and maintenance) on the STAR sizers.

I've discovered that there were at least three models. An early low production model, a middle high production model (accounts for about 80% of the sizers out there) and a late production model.

I would like to start a thread asking folks to post 2 photos of STAR sizers that they own. These photos will be the key areas I need to see to be able to classify the models as early, mid, or late. I would like a small sample of photos to be able to help me with my research to see if I have the correct assumptions.

I will post an example to this thread in a day or two to start the ball rolling. If anyone needs help posting pics, or would rather just email them to me, that would be preferable. I will edit the thread which hopefully will evolve into a sticky here for identification, care, and maintenance of the STAR sizers.

I managed to change/repair a mid production model recently, and thought the experience might be beneficial to those here who may have the same repair to do. It was the replacement of the pump sleeve, the bronze shaft that the plunger rides in. It was a pretty challenging repair to make but I was able to not ruin the sizer I was working on and make the repair/change with a minimum of fuss.

Here is an old page I used to have up at the old Hensley & Gibbs Website before I moved it here to Cast Boolits:

How to repair a leaking STAR Luber/Sizer (http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/star.htm)

I made this page before I realized you could order the special gasket from Magma Engineering. For sentimental reasons, I still use the toilet gaskets if I need to get a really tight seal on the lube reservoir. I think the original was called a "Hycar" washer IIRC.

Tom

454PB
05-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Sounds like an interesting project. Please post what you would like the pictures to show.

madcaster
05-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Thank you for the info,I just bought a Star sizer,should be here soon.

cajun shooter
05-18-2009, 07:45 AM
The washer you refer to is still called a hycar. Magma took the Star and cut two grooves where the sizing die goes. In these grooves they installed two rubber O- rings to help with grease coming out of the press. I removed mine as I think they become a PITA when changing dies. Later David

Fugowii
05-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I just got this about a week ago. It belonged to a COP who cast his own a while
ago and I would guess it hasn't been used in quite a while. I have no idea what
vintage this is, nor do I know much about these machines. I am guessing I lucked
out to pick this up for short money. I am going to add a heater to it.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/ruby_ridge/05_18_2009001a.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/ruby_ridge/05_18_2009002a.jpg

mtgrs737
05-18-2009, 09:57 AM
That's a nice looking Star you have there! I have two that look just like it except for the "Star Decal" on the bottom, I wish someone would reproduce some of those as that is all mine lack. Those Stars are really built, some are very old and still viable, I keep mine well oiled and they work like a charm.

To answer your question, Yes why not have a Star section.

Texasflyboy
05-18-2009, 03:21 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2aaab9g.jpg

I just got this about a week ago.

Great Photos. Your first photo shows the pin retention variation for the pump sleeve (2nd model). There is a bronze cylinder that the plunger goes into the STAR lube reservoir. On the first models, the cylinder was held in with friction (press fit). The 2nd models have a brass pin that intersects with the sleeve after its pressed it. The 3rd model does away with the brass pin and uses an entirely different retention method (can't recall the name of this at the moment, but the Magma's use the same system).

The vast majority of STAR's I've seen use the brass pin retention system (2nd Model). All the other parts seem to be the same over the life of the STAR's.

Texasflyboy
05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
To answer your question, Yes why not have a Star section.

My proposal (or thought) is to create a companion webpage on the server space here much like the Hensley & Gibbs Bullet Mould reference page or the Casting Fellows page. Or it can be a sticky. Either way works.

Gather all the STAR info I can find, put it all in once place, and update as needed with tips, tricks, how-to's etc...

I think we have a section in the forum already that STAR's fit in.

crabo
05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I think it would be great to also have a section of adjustment tips and tricks.

rbwillnj
05-19-2009, 03:40 PM
You might also want to check out the Star Reloaders forum which has a section dedicated to Star Lubesizers. http://forum.starreloaders.com/

oldtoolsniper
05-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I would love to see that happen

Naphtali
05-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Tom:

I desperately need such a forum. My shooting partner is upgrading from one Star, two Reddings, and two RCBS sizers to a Ballisti-Cast unit. I'll be buying his Star - probably pick it up with heater next month. (Ballisti-Cast is running several months behind on virtually everything they make.) I have no clue what need be done to adjust it for loading: 45-70 bullets with GatorCheck or Hornady gas checks; 45 Colt, 475 Linebaugh, and 480 Ruger bullets with plain base. I'll be receiving no dies with the Star, so I'm pretty much a blank sheet of paper.

deltaenterprizes
05-24-2009, 03:09 PM
There was a compant names Phelps that made copies of both the lubsizers and reloading press. He copied them all the way down to the gold label !