PDA

View Full Version : Cratered and Blown Primer

DickK
05-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I stopped reloading October 23, 1983. I didn’t intend to but that day I blew a primer. The gases came back through the bolt and out the back, hitting me in the face. In shock, I tried to figure out what I had done wrong. I stopped shooting at that point.

This was my first test of IMR 4831 in my 257 Roberts Remington 722. Previously, all my loads were with IMR 4320 with 60, 75, 87, and 90 grain bullets. I never load cartridges to maximum pressure, no need to. My “regular” Loads were about halfway between “suggested” and “maximum”. I had done my research and thought 4831 would be a good choice for the 117 grain Sierra Spitzer Flat Base bullet. The suggested starting load was 40.0 grains and maximum was 45.0. Using new Winchester cases, I loaded up 5 rounds with 40.0 grains, 5 rounds with 40.5, 5 rounds with 41.0, and 5 rounds with 41.5.

When I began firing and inspecting the cases after firing, I began to be suspicious. All the primers indicated high pressure. The 40.0 grain batch had pretty well flattened primers. The 40.5 grain batch were the same but one had a raised crater. The 41.0 grain batch had one with a raised crater. The fifth round in this batch was the one that blew.

Here I am 26 years later trying to pickup where I left off. I’ve begun setting up shop for casting and reloading. I cleaned my lubricator and sizer. I’ve bought some moulds, a furnace, and some metal for boolits. I’m pretty satisfied with jacked bullet loads and decided I wanted to focus on cast boolits.

I’ve been refreshing my knowledge and memory about casting, reloading, and shooting. I was going through my inventory of ammunition and components when I found that box with the last unfired batch of 5 cartridges with 41.5 grains of 4831. I set up my press and pulled the bullets on 3 of the cartridges to check the powder weight. They had 39.6, 39.4, and 39.6 grains, just a bit less than the suggested starting load of 40.0 grains. I cannot explain why the weights are less by 2 grains than what the cases are marked. I weighed one of the bullets. It’s precisely 117 grains. I know there is a certain amount of solvent in powders that after 26 years may have evaporated but I don’t think it would amount to 2 grains. Also, the larger weight increments on the scale’s beam is 5 grains, I would have had to set at 40 grains. That means the smaller weight would have been at zero. I just can’t explain this difference.

Since the loads were pretty close to suggested starting loads, I cannot come up with a cause of the high pressure.

There is one other possibility, I mentioned above that the cases were new Winchester cases. The difference between them and the other cases I have is that they are marked “+P”. I tried to find out more about the Winchester +P cases without any success. I’m thinking the brass is significantly thicker than regular cases, such as the older Remington and Winchester ones I have. If it is thicker, then the case volume would be reduced and subsequently might cause high pressures. It is interesting to note Winchester sells only 257 Roberts +P ammunition.

Any thoughts?

MtGun44
05-17-2009, 10:22 PM
The lower case volume is a good theory, but how about bullet fit in the throat? A longer and
heavier bullet may have touched the throat and raised pressures, too. This is an excellent
example of why it is important to start at the starting load, since each and every gun is
a thing unto itself.

I have seen other guns show serious pressure signs - super flat primers, etc. at very low
book loads - they weren't low for THAT gun tho.

Welcome back to the hobby!

Bill

runfiverun
05-17-2009, 10:25 PM
+p brass is less capacity but uses the same loads as regular cases the smaller volumn just takes the pressure up a notch, a very small notch.
i neck up the +p's for my 7 mausers.

PA Shootist
05-18-2009, 06:35 AM
The Remington 722 is a short action, and the 117 grain bullet is a relatively long bullet for the caliber. The factory seated these bullets very deeply in the case, due to the short action's magazine constraints. Also the throat may be short, with very little leade or freebore to the rifling. The clue is that this seems the first time with these longer, heavier bullets. So I would agree with Mt, even a starting load with the bullet having no freebore out of the case could have brought on too high a pressure condition in your particular rifle. Do you still have the rifle to check that out? That would be where I would start to look for the reasons for the suddenly high pressure.

As far as solvents in powder, 1983 isn't really so long ago, if ammunition is stored well, I wouldn't expect any material change in powder weight. If stored in heat, etc, maybe so. I have two powder scales, and often compare them one to the other. In certain ranges I have found a tenth-grain or two variation.

Hardcast416taylor
05-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Being an old man I can speak my mind freely. I have 3 theory`s. 1. The bullet was seated against the rifling at firing. 2. Possible weak primer cup or a mag primer by mistake. 3. Wrong powder loaded by mistake.:!: Robert

S.R.Custom
05-18-2009, 12:06 PM
The lower case volume is a good theory, but how about bullet fit in the throat? A longer and
heavier bullet may have touched the throat and raised pressures, too.

I've observed this in a number of rifles over the years, particularly when using heavy-for-caliber bullets. When the bullet makes contact with the rifling at chambering, pressures rise significantly. Most relevant to this discussion is my experience with 4831 in the 7mm Mag: When using 175 gr Sierra Matchkings with H4831, pressures were very high when using published loads; my max loads in my custom competition gun were 2.0 grains below Sierra's starting load, yet it was a very accurate load and gave an SD of only 7 when shot over a chronograph.

A number of other factors can contribute to high pressures as well. Things like ambient temperature, brass thickness at the neck, bullet 'hardness' (Sierras have a thick jacket at the bearing surface), actual bullet diameter, flash hole diameter, primer choice, brass weight, throat length, throat angle, rifling aggressiveness/height, barrel twist, and actual chamber volume all contribute to the burning characteristics of a given load and how willingly a bullet lets itself get pushed down the bore.

But one of the factors most people don't realize is the powder itself-- commercial grade cannister powders can vary in burn rate by +/- 5% from the baseline specification and still be considered "within spec." That can mean a possible difference of 10% from one lot to the next!

Anyway, to paraphrase what Bill said, welcome back to the black arts. :mrgreen:

oleguy74
05-18-2009, 09:49 PM
hello every one...new to post here.have been reloading for 50 years and have tried a lot of different things.one thing that i started many years ago,is to put prushin blueing on bullet.use empty re-sized case and seat bullet in a short distance and gentley chamber round.when you feel resistance remove round and check land/grove marks.re-peat until it doesn't mark any more.that should be your max oal for that bullet.record in book for ref.measure with calipers,and seat about .030 deeper.that has worked well for me.just a thought.that should be used for you max oal......mike

DickK
05-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Good morning everyone! Thank you all for you comments.

I have come to the following conclusions: It's not the powder. It's not the +P cases. The consensus points to not seating the 117 grain bullets deep enough in the cases. I will check out the free bore and the start of the rifling.

I should mention that I never used the magazine. I used the rifle as a single shot with lighter bullets for woodchucks. If I remember right, the cartridges I loaded with 87 grain bullets didn’t fit in the magazine. They never showed any signs of high pressure.

I will work on bullet seating depth.

Once again, thank you all for your help!

Dan Cash
05-19-2009, 02:46 PM
One thing not mentioned here is the possibility of your new cases being over length. If that were the case and the case mouth entered the leade, the neck could not not expand on firing and release the projectile. Pressure really spikes when that happens.

Pat I.
05-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Are you sure you loaded 4831 instead of grabbing the 4320 out of habit? 41 1/2 grs of 4831 is pretty mild in the Roberts but 41 1/2 grs of 4320 is about 4 1/2 grs over max. I can't see any of those other things blowing primers with the load you used.

jhrosier
05-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Using pistol primers instead of rifle primers might cause the same problem.

Jack

DickK
05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks again to all for your comments. It wasn't the primers. I only had Remington large rifle. It wasn't the wrong power. Of the last unfired batch of 5 cartridges, when I pulled the bullets and dumped the powder, it was 4831. At the time I loaded the cartridges, I had purchased only 1 pound of 4831 for testing purposes. I don't think it's the case length. The case length of the cases in question are the same length as all the other brass. I've had no chambering or firing problems with any of the other loads.

I really do suspect it's the bullet seating depth. When I find a suitable time, I will check the seating depth.

I appreciate all your comments. Thanks!

Down South
05-21-2009, 10:31 PM
This is a unique situation. I’ve loaded thousands of rounds with IMR 4831 and never had a problem. I’ve had a bad batch of CCI primers that would pierce and there was a recall on those primers years ago (About the time period you are talking about). I wound up throwing several hundred CCI primers in the trash. The flattened primers of those loads if they are correct is what gets me. I’m typing this without looking at any of my manuals so I’m assuming (Ass-U & Me,ing) that your data is correct. The only thing that I can think of is the bullet was jammed into the rifling without any bullet jump what so ever. You were defiantly experiencing high pressure.
BTW, Welcome back to reloading.