PDA

View Full Version : shoe grease case lube

truckmsl
05-17-2009, 02:12 PM
As I was loading up some cast 7.62x39 today I became dissatisfied with the one-shot spray lube as it seemed to require more force to resize than I felt it should. Started looking around the lead shed and found some Hubbard's Shoe Grease. It's made of pine tar and bees wax only, with just a faint smell of pine - so probably mostly bees wax. Wow - what a difference! I can't imagine that the pine tar would foul the powder but thought I'd ask you folks about it. Any gunpowder chemists among you that have any thoughts about this?

Doc Highwall
05-17-2009, 02:42 PM
You probably made the same mistake that most people do when using the spray lubes. The one I use is Dillon's and it is made with alcohol and lanolin, after you spray it on you must wait for the alcohol to evaporate leaving the lanolin on the cases. When you are done the lanolin can be washed off with dish soap and water.

454PB
05-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Try mink oil boot waterproofing. I've used it for years, it's just as good as Imperial sizing die wax, only 20% of the cost, and wipes off more easily.

TREERAT
05-18-2009, 12:52 AM
IF you are willing to wash your cases after sizing in hot soapy water and dry, plain old motor oil works wonderful. if anealed, I can make a .243 win case into a .358 win case in one pass with no split necks with motor oil, cannot do it with lee, hornady, or rcbs case lubes!