PDA

View Full Version : B & M Powder Measure with Black Powder?

August
03-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Is the B&M measure approved for black powder use??

Thanks

carpetman
03-04-2006, 11:58 AM
August---Is the B&M powder measure approved with black powder? NO WAY. It has a hatred of black powder and a swarm of hooded characters comes out of it and burns crosses in your yard. Now you might try painting the powder some other color and get it to be tolerable. I really doubt that painting it would work,as the thing is pretty foolproof.

w30wcf
03-04-2006, 12:26 PM
August,

I've used mine to load many, many, many black powder rounds.

YES, it is safe to use b.p. in. Along with my B&M measure, which is now about 30 years old, there was a powder / charge wt. / settings chart.

B.P. was one of the powders listed.

w30wcf

shooter575
03-08-2006, 12:37 AM
August,The B&M is said to be real good with bp.I have never used one.I have used a bunch of others though.Lee,Lyman,HornadyPacific and a old ? The Lee perfect works good.Takes a few seconds longer for the powder to fall out though.[seems longer] The metal ones need to be taken apart and cleaned at end of sesson or they will sieze up.The worst one for that is the Hornady b/p measure.[strange] But it throws right on every time.
I do not worry about that "static spark" myth. I have a link someplace on test done on seting off b/p with static.Aint gonna happen.

omgb
03-08-2006, 12:53 AM
The B&M is the "bee's knees" for BP. I use mine for it all the time. works great.

shooter575
03-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Here is that link on static and B/P

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/mlexperiments/sparks/sparks.html

Ross
03-08-2006, 05:45 PM
The B&M charge tube is about the same diameter as a .45-70 case. A trimmed case makes a fairly good charge tube.

44man
03-12-2006, 03:45 PM
I have used my Redding for black powder for years. Static will not light off black powder. This question is used by the manufacturers to protect themselves from lawsuits by some yo-yo smoking or something near a measure full of black. If you are afwaid, vewy, vewy afwaid, put a ground wire from the plastic to a ground.