PDA

View Full Version : refurbishing my Lyman #61 Mould Master

Tippet
05-17-2009, 02:40 AM
First off, is this asbestos? I'm wearing a mask, but if it is asbestos I'm not crazy about putting it back in. there must be something better I can use instead. Even if it's not asbestos, I'd like to find something new and clean to use. There must be some modern product that's easy to find and effective, anyone have any ideas?
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n226/tayloroid/cast%20boolits/P1010016.jpg

Texasflyboy
05-17-2009, 09:48 AM
I'd like to find something new and clean to use. There must be some modern product that's easy to find and effective, anyone have any ideas?

You want a product called Rock Wool Insulation. It's a form of glass, as in blown basalt.

Here is a link to some on eBay:

(I am not the seller, I just did a eBay search for Rock Wool since that is where I found it when I needed it)

Link to eBay Auction for Rock Wool Insulation (http://cgi.ebay.com/Gas-Log-Glowing-Embers-Fireplace-Ash-Rock-Wool-New_W0QQitemZ130300591899QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1e56853f1b&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116)

Tippet
05-17-2009, 03:33 PM
s that the same kind of rockwool they use in hydroponic gardening?

oneokie
05-17-2009, 04:09 PM
When I rebuilt my casting pot, I used the insulation from an old kitchen oven.

Texasflyboy
05-17-2009, 10:38 PM
When I rebuilt my casting pot, I used the insulation from an old kitchen oven.

One of the many uses of Rock Wool is as stove insulation. I purchased mine from an eBay seller that uses it to re-build 1930's, 40's and 50's era cast iron gas stoves and ovens for the high end market. He lives North of Beaumont, Texas. Wish I could remember his handle, but too much time has passed.

Seems every chef worth his salt wants an old 1930's behemoth gas stove to cook on. So this guy rebuilds them.

It cost me $8 for a box of wool that I could have made 6 casting pots with. I think I still have some left somewhere. It's what I used to make the Cast Boolits Model 1 casting pot:

Cast Boolits Model 1 Casting Pot (http://hgmould.gunloads.com/newpot/instructions.htm)

mikenbarb
05-17-2009, 11:33 PM
You can also look into a cheap welding blanket and shread it up.

KYCaster
05-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Looks like ceramic wool to me. Do a search for brand name "Kaowool", you should be able to find it locally.

Jerry

Tippet
05-18-2009, 07:43 PM
I just put the old stuff back in. When I went to remove the thermostat for cleaning, the screws sheared off; This thing is so old and ugly frankly to me it's not worth the effort to drill/tap new holes. I've just reassembled it with the thermostat outside the housing, a good layer of thermal electrical tape covering things up pretty good. Next month I'll spring for a new melter and see if anyone here wants to buy this one.

Bret4207
05-19-2009, 07:58 AM
That old girl is better than the affordable pots (Lee) you can get today. Take it to any decent electrical repair shop and for under $20.00 it should come back in fine shape.

Tippet
05-19-2009, 09:29 AM
That old girl is better than the affordable pots (Lee) you can get today. Take it to any decent electrical repair shop and for under $20.00 it should come back in fine shape.

Oh I don't know. It doesn't need electrical repair so much as mechanical and cleaning. I already got the inside of the pot down to bare metal with a wire wheel, although cleaning the inside of the pourspout is a challenge. It needs 2 holes tapped for the thermostat and all the rust on the heating element cleaned off. I think $20 is maybe an optimistic estimate.

How is it it better than a Lee pro 4? The new Lee has 700 watts and a replaceable pour spout design. This old one has a fixed spout that's a PIA to deal with. It does heat up fast though.

Storydude
05-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I"ll give ya 10 bucks + shipping Flat rate right now.

Tippet
05-19-2009, 09:57 AM
I appreciate the offer. Once I get a replacement for it, i'll list it in the Swappin' & Sellin' forum.

Bret4207
05-20-2009, 07:46 AM
It's built much heavier duty than the Lee's and mine, the SAECO version, doesn't drip at all. If a shop is going to charge more than $20.00 to tap 2 holes and clean up the contacts....that's more than my local shop would charge but still worth it. As long as it costs less than the Lee you're clearly money ahead. IMO even if it cost twice what the Lee does you're still ahead.

oldhickory
05-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I have one of the very same pots a fellow gave me, I cleaned it up and it works like new. It's worth a little effort to get the oldie going again, tapping a few holes and some clean-up is nothing compared to the service it will give you.:drinks:

Tippet
05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
OK maybe I will keep it...but I've got to figure out a way to get that spout clean. I need some kind of abrasive tool that'll fit in there. Guess I'll dig out the tap set.

BTW it doesn't work since I put it together with the thermostat outside the housing. I'm guessing the thermostat needs to be grounded for it to work.

oldhickory
05-20-2009, 11:51 AM
OK maybe I will keep it...but I've got to figure out a way to get that spout clean. I need some kind of abrasive tool that'll fit in there. Guess I'll dig out the tap set.

BTW it doesn't work since I put it together with the thermostat outside the housing. I'm guessing the thermostat needs to be grounded for it to work.

A proper size drill bit should clean it out for you.:-D

Tippet
05-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Ah yes. good idea. Now I need to find something to replace the insulating strip between the thermostat and pot.

montana_charlie
05-20-2009, 11:56 AM
OK maybe I will keep it...but I've got to figure out a way to get that spout clean. I need some kind of abrasive tool that'll fit in there. Guess
How about a bronze bore brush in .17 caliber?
CM

Tippet
05-20-2009, 11:57 AM
That might work too.

ronbo
05-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I have been using the same Lyman 61 since 1970 and bought it used back then. Can't handle the flimsy Lee pots so I keep it going. I cleaned the inside of the spout when it started to drip by emptying it of lead and by turning a drill bit by hand from the top into the spout to clean out the corrosion inside. Polished up the end of the rod that seals the spout and it has not leaked since. Years ago the electric plug backing shattered and I cut a piece of high temp electric box out the right size and mounted the electric plug pins to it. I have repaired the section where the heating wires connect to the thermostat, they burned off so I lengthened the heating wire by adding more copper wire with a crimp fitting and new wire connectors on the thermostat. She works like a champ now just needs some love.