PDA

View Full Version : 30 m1 carbine question

bobthenailer
03-03-2006, 10:04 PM
hi i have a chance to buy a 30 cal m1 carbine at i think a reasonable price that was sporterized buy a co workers dad years ago , it is in good condtion was reblued in a semi bright finish with some aftermarket stock with a rollover cheekpiece in waulnut, it is a winchester manufracture receiver i dont know about the other parts at this time, with it comes 3 bananna clips, 1 std clip, 600 rounds of US mil ammo with stripper clips in a sealed tin can with a can opener in the top of the can and 400 rounds of US mil ammo all in stripper clips and 5 ammo bandellaros all in excellent condtion . what would be your scientefic wild ass guess as to the value of this package

Buckshot
03-04-2006, 08:43 AM
..................The carbine, maybe $200 as a shooter. If it was me I'd put it back in military wood and have it parkerized. The ammo in the sealed container could worth quite a bit to a collector. Then again possibly the ammo in it's packages inside the container sold individually might be worth even more sold piecemeal. If you want that hassle.

Taking it all as just shooting stuff figure $8/50 for the ammo. Another $60 for the rest of the odds and ends and that's a REAL WAG!

One other thing. ALL 30M1 ammo made in the US was non-corrosive from the git-go, so no issue there.

..................Buckshot

bobthenailer
03-04-2006, 01:43 PM
unfortuantly his father sold the origional stock ! he is asking $300.00 for the entire lot , which i thought was a good deal?

9.3X62AL
03-04-2006, 01:56 PM
The Winchester make is a good one--a common one, but a very good mechanism. There are a number of vendors that can supply replacement wood of some kind, as per Buckshot's text. $300 for the lot is a pretty fair price, methinks.

M-1 Carbines aren't seen on the firing line at Camp Perry. :-) My experience with them (2 examples) are that they are reliable, fun plinkers that served the same role for my Dad's generation as the SKS does currently. They generally aren't known for superb accuracy, though.

The cartridge itself can do good work in other platforms--the Ruger Blackhawk can shoot VERY well with tailored loads, and my Marlin Model 62 (a short-throw levergun that leans heavily on a Win 88/Savage 99 resemblance) does good work too. It dotes on the Lee Soup Cans in its MicroGroove bore, sized .311" and run to 1500-1900 FPS. Basically, the 30 Carbine is an updated and pressurized 32-20.

Larry Gibson
03-04-2006, 02:14 PM
unfortuantly his father sold the origional stock ! he is asking $300.00 for the entire lot , which i thought was a good deal?

Buy it right now then go down to the local police and turn yourself in for theft! It is a steal at that price. If you don't want to get it let me know and I'll try to get it.

Larry Gibson

bobthenailer
03-05-2006, 10:58 AM
well i bought it saturday, the bore is bright & clean the receiver & barrel are winchester, the trigger guard is rock ola the stock may be a old rem 700/720 stock that someone reworked to fit a m1 carbine as the plastic but plate was a remington , the action and the front of the barrel are glassed ,and to hold the handguard over the barrel they split the front handguard retaning slip ring on the bottom and welded a front sling swivle stud nut which then used the sling swivle on the front of the stock to hold the handguard in place. its deffinatly old school but i kinda like it!! i counted up the ammo and got 1,141 rounds of gi ammo mostley ww and about 100 lc, no comes the test!!! its going to 42 degrees today and im going to put some lead down range , i also bought another fa 454 awhile back that needs some excercise too. gone shooten !!!!!!!!! thanks bob!!!!!!!