PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Lee die kits

sheepdog
05-16-2009, 06:26 PM
I don't get the subtle differences between the deluxe the 3 die kits, the lee loaders, the RGB kits etc. Can anyone straighten this out for me?

shotman
05-16-2009, 06:52 PM
well they have 4 die deluxe that is carbide and a factory crimp. They have a 3 die round , and it has shell holder and powder measure, they have the rgb and it is a 2 die with no shell holder. The rgb is rifle and the 3 die round is pistol mostly 4 die is both Price is by the numbers about $10 each

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Lee Deluxe pistol die set: sizer, powder through expander, seating/crimp and factory crimp die - also comes with a powder dipper and a shell holder

Lee Deluxe rifle die set: sizer, seater and collet neck sizer - also comes with powder dipper and shell holder

Lee standard pistol die set: sizer, powder through expander, seating/crimp die - also comes with powder dipper and a shell holder

RGB (really great buy) die sets: rifle die sets that only come with the sizer and seating die, no powder dipper, no shell holder

Pace Setter die set: rifle die set - sizer, seater and factory crimp die - also comes with powder dipper and a shell holder

Limited production pace sett die set: rifle die set that does not come with the factory crimp die and is generally an odd caliber - comes with powder dipper and shell holder

Large series dies: 1 1/4 X 12 thread for large calibers, generally do not include shell holder or powder dipper

Lee Reloader kit - not a die set at all, but actually a hand reloading kit with everything you need to do basic reloading - does not full length resize, only neck sizes

Hope this helps. For additional information, see leeprecision.com

Dave

Shiloh
05-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Really like the Deluxe rifle dies. For a few bucks more you get a neck die. I'd really like to see a Super Deluxe, where you get the crimp die also.

SHiloh

mooman76
05-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I might add in the 3 die rfle deluxe set it does not crimp.

Dale53
05-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I have long been an advocate (pistol ammo) for seating the bullet in one die and crimping in the other. Eliminates shaving of lead over trying to seat and crimp in one die.

The Lee Factory Crimp die (comes with the four die set) does a fine job crimping and also guarantees that the loaded round will not exceed SAAMI specs. It is invaluable for the auto loader and also is great for the revolvers.

I was shooting some .38 Special up that had been loaded YEARS ago before I got a Lee Factory Crimp Die. One round failed to chamber. It was roll crimped and this particular case was a little long and slightly bulged the case (you could hardly see the difference). That would have NOT happened with the Factory Crimp Die (the carbide ring at the base re-sizes to proper standards as you crimp and remove the cartridge from the die).

Really useful piece of gear. The four die sets from Lee are a real advancement in good reloading gear.

Dale53

recycledelectrons
05-19-2009, 02:08 AM
I've bought dozens of Lee die sets, and can never keep it straight. I finally made a spreadsheet to see what I had.

There are only a few kinds of dies:
1. full length resizing die
2. neck sizing die (Lee calls it a collet die)
3. bullet seating die
4. crimp die (there are several, I like the factory crimp dies for semi-autos)
5. For pistol calibers, there is a neck expanding die with a through-expander hole for dropping powder

I have to check my spreadsheet before I order, and then check MidwayUSA's description of the die set to know what I want.

Andy

GSPKurt
05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
I am very happy with Lee dies. I won't use any other brand for handguns, and am switching over for rifle calibers.

TAWILDCATT
05-20-2009, 07:36 PM
I do have other makes but it was for a special purpose.if you get the rifle powder thru die you can really go.The pistol set with a powder measure set on the expander does wonders.It is not a dillon but it sure saves labor.I just did 300 45 colt all the brass I had.in about 2 hrs.I dont go fast.maybe thats why I never had a primer go or broke any thing.now my Lee 1000 set for 45 acp is a moving machine.I dont prime as I decap and clean,prime, then load on 1000.:coffee:
[smilie=1: