PDA

View Full Version : Aussie 308 stripper clips???

singleshotbuff
03-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Gentlemen,

A couple seasons ago, when I owned a CETME rifle, I bought 200rds of 7.62 Nato (308 Win) surplus ammo. I'm pretty sure it was Austrailian, it came 5rds to a black stripper clip. I'm looking to unload the clips, as I have no use for them, but I need to know what kind of rifle they were originally intended for.

They're about the same length as a Mauser 98 stripper, but they're wider and will not work in a Mauser. They're stamped on the back MB01981. They appear to brass and have a heavy black, almost powder coat, finish on them.

What do they fit? A 308 Mauser? A 308 SMLE?

All help is appreciated.

SSB

trooperdan
03-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Almost 100 % certainty, they should fit a FN FAL. I'd be interested in taking then off your hands for $ or trade goods.

bruce drake
03-04-2006, 12:18 AM
They will also work in a Type 99 Arisaka. I use the same type for my rifles. (I bought a case of this ammo for my CETME last year as well)

Bruce

BruceB
03-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Most FALs, including the British and Australian L1A1s, have no provision for loading the magazine IN THE RIFLE via stripper clips.

Canadian C1/C1A1 rifles DO have a charger guide in the top cover, which is configured much differently than the L1A1s. In practice during my Canadian Army service, I found that the strippers are a very awkward way to load the mag in a Canadian rifle, but it might suffice in an emergency.

The strippers were actually used in conjunction with a "charger guide", issued with each rifle, which slipped over the top of magazines NOT in the rifle. This guide, along with the loaded strippers, made short work of loading FAL magazines. The combat-ready issue ammunition was packed (in Canada, at least) in waterproof plastic bandoliers, with two loaded five-round chargers in each hermetically-sealed pocket. A large pull tab on each separate pocket made the opening easy, even with gloved hands.

I expect that the strippers were made to a NATO standard, so as to be used by all member nations if needed, but I am not familiar with any other rifles which may have used the NATO-pattern strippers except for loading magazines out of the rifle.

singleshotbuff
03-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Trooperdan, you have mail.

SSB

Four Fingers of Death
03-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Gentlemen,

A couple seasons ago, when I owned a CETME rifle, I bought 200rds of 7.62 Nato (308 Win) surplus ammo. I'm pretty sure it was Austrailian, it came 5rds to a black stripper clip. I'm looking to unload the clips, as I have no use for them, but I need to know what kind of rifle they were originally intended for.

They're about the same length as a Mauser 98 stripper, but they're wider and will not work in a Mauser. They're stamped on the back MB01981. They appear to brass and have a heavy black, almost powder coat, finish on them.

What do they fit? A 308 Mauser? A 308 SMLE?

All help is appreciated.

SSB

These work a treat in M17s! They are all I use. They work better than M17 clips of which I have a few.