PDA

View Full Version : Lead free sodder?

Golden Crow
05-16-2009, 07:59 AM
I found some lead free solder, both in a 95% tin/5% antimony for $7.00 1/4lb, and some silver sodder for $14.00 per lb., at a hole-in-the-wall hardware store.

I was woundering about the silver sodder, could I use it and what could I expect from it.:coffee:

armexman
05-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Quick, which store? I will go purchase it and let you know.

snuffy
05-16-2009, 10:49 AM
First, welcome to the forum, second it's spelled solder, third, what he said where is this store!:-P:holysheep

Your first item, the 95 tin, 5 antimony is great stuff for adding tin to a boolit alloy. Not sure about the silver solder, I doubt there's much silver in it, but what the rest is,,,---I dunno.

That reminds me, when I go into town today, I have to get a couple rolls of the 95-5 solder.

Golden Crow
05-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I am thinking that the silver solder has alot of tin in it. Might get some and try it TKS ya'll

Echo
05-16-2009, 11:43 AM
And $7 for a 1/4 pound is very expensive tin. I bought some from Grainger for ~$7 a pound. Check the recycler/scrap yard, look in their lead bin - you might find some solder, and it doesn't take much. Any more than 3% is wasteful...

kamikaze1a
05-16-2009, 08:11 PM
The silver solder would be great for...werewolves.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I add a short length of the 95/5 to my pot when the alloy needs to flow better....

Gohon
05-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Any more than 3% is wasteful

Based on what reasoning? This is thrown out a lot as personal opinion but no one ever comes up with reference data. Lyman uses 5/5/90 for their #2 alloy.

Slow Elk 45/70
05-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Gohon, Go to the "Classics and Stickies" page and do some reading...you may find the enlightenment you seek. [smilie=1:

There is a lot of information out there if you care to read it, just because Lyman did it doesn't make it "Necessary" . Some folks are more frugal than others when mixing alloys. Lyman #2 is a good mix, but so is "hardball" and 16-1 , 20-1 , just depends on what you like/need

high standard 40
05-17-2009, 05:36 AM
If you've got $100 free to spend, you can get pure tin ingots from Rotometals for $9.14 per pound with free shipping. It would be far cheaper in the long run than $7 for a 1/4 pound of 95/5.

WHITETAIL
05-17-2009, 06:44 AM
Golden Crow, Welcome to the forum!:drinks:

Gohon
05-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Gohon, Go to the "Classics and Stickies" page and do some reading

Funny you should mention that and I have read through them before. That is the very place I find the most contradictions to term that more than 3% tin is a waste. Especially one very long thread of tests by one person, with several confirmations from others, that concludes that equal parts Antimony and Tin has superior toughness and ductility properties, which is desirable for hunting bullets. The same thread bares out the confusion that most people don't understand the difference between toughness and hardness. I never said just because Lyman does it, it has to be true but the fact they have used that formula for many years and continue to do so today tells us all something. I simply would like if possible to see some actual test data to prove out that more than a certain amount of tin is wasteful. Other than when tin content exceeds antimony content, I've never seen this proven except for hearsay.