PDA

View Full Version : Trouble installing gas checks on 22 boolits

mtgrs737
05-16-2009, 02:30 AM
I have just finished a lesson in frustration, case in point, trying to install Hornady gas checks on a Saeco 221. The 221 gas check shank is a tad large and the checks will not snap/slip over it. I have tried using a hammer to tap them on but rarely get them straight and the boolit nose is not liking it much either. Next I tried my Lyman 450 with a gas check seater tool and got them on more consistanly but still have the lead shaving thing on one side. The 221 shank is extremely short and after seating you cannot see any exposed shank, the check is up against the rear driving band. I tried to seat a check on a Lyman 22 boolit and the same thing, the check shaves lead and is difficult to install.

What am I doing wrong?

Personaly, I think the checks are too small.

shotman
05-16-2009, 02:50 AM
saeco is good for that I have a 45 saeco and it was hard to get them to seat. I could press mine because of the swc nose. You may try to use the nose punch from your 450 and set it on a block and tap or use your loading press to seat them

peterthevet
05-16-2009, 02:53 AM
Hi there - I'm not an expert and don't have this mold but have heard of a few people having problems with this mold. Is the shank too short for the gascheck? Are the shank specs out when measured?Others gave up in frustration and had GC section removed and shot as plain based. Just a few thoughts......as I said I'm inexperienced so what would I know!!! Cheers Peter

Whitespider
05-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Been working through that myself, here's a link to a thread with helpful answers...

.22 Boolit Project, Part 2 ?? (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=53637)

Lee W
05-16-2009, 08:26 AM
For my Saeco 221 boolits, I made a tapered tool to spread the gas check open a little. Another step, I know, but I did survive.

mtgrs737
05-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys for the input, I will give some of your ideas a try once the wounds scab over.

mroliver77
05-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Tapered tool to open checks. Might want to anneal them first. It is a pain but another part of our hobby. (illness?)
Jay

mtgrs737
05-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Yep, I am thinking I will be making a flaring punch to open the checks a bit. How hot to anneal the checks?

I noticed that the RCBS size die has a lot of flare to the mouth so a check with a bit more than normal flare should work fine.

Slow Elk 45/70
05-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Mtgrs, when I want tot anneal checks, I just drop them on top of the melt in my casting pot, after they change color . I just dip them out and shake them a bit in a strainer. I know this sounds like B.S. to some but it works for me, I'm to old and lazy I guess, always looking for a short cut. This has been done for lots of years and it is simple / works.