PDA

View Full Version : Soliciting help for Lloyd

Kirk Miller
05-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Ok guys I need some help.
I've put together ten bricks of primers for Lloyd, but I'm not sure how to get them to him. Does anyone know if I have to be licensed to ship hazmat through UPS?

Also, if you or somebody you know, is passing through central UT and could transport them ,that would be great. A long shot I admit, but I can at least hope.

Any other brilliant, or just plain simple solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Kirk

P.S. I know that some people take a chance and ship usps, but I'm kinda a scaredy cat.

HeavyMetal
05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't think you have to be licensed to ship hazmat you just have to be prepared to pay the fee!

Best bet is to call UPS and ask.

Can't blame you for not wanting to put these in the post, that's a federaL BUST and I'd want no part of it!

Your a good man to share that many primers! I haven't seen a thousand in one spot in over a yr!

mooman76
05-16-2009, 12:39 AM
I heard you can get primers from Cabelas. They are back ordered a couple weeks and are limiting to 1k per type which in away is a good thing because more people can get a chance to get them. I'm going through central UT in a couple weeks but I don't think that will help much.

Bret4207
05-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Take them to the UPS Store near you. USPS won;t knowingly ship them, at least according to the desk clerk I talked to. UPS is a Registered Hazardous Material Shipper and knows what to do to ship them properly. I don;t have my Haz Mat book anymore and I'm not sure what the Small Quantities limits are, you may have to break them up into smaller packages rather than all at once.

mike in co
05-16-2009, 12:13 PM
50k per container, properly marked.........shipping plus hazmat fee.
ups.........consider prepack and proper label on the outside.
same info that is on a 5k sleeve

mike in co

Ole
05-16-2009, 12:21 PM
One thing you could do would be have a local store/manufacturer that already ships Hazmat ship them for you and you pay them for shipping and maybe a little extra for their trouble.

Kirk Miller
05-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks Mike
I'll try and make it to the ups terminal next week. I called and spoke with the clerk at the ups store and she said that they were not licensed to ship hazmat.
Kirk

Lloyd Smale
05-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Kirt dont get yourself in trouble over this. If its going to be a hastle just hold on to them. Just the thought alone was wonderful!!!!

mike in co
05-17-2009, 10:22 AM
[QUOTEThanks Mike
I'll try and make it to the ups terminal next week. I called and spoke with the clerk at the ups store and she said that they were not licensed to ship hazmat.
Kirk [QUOTE]
not to be rude, but quit asking questions and ship it.

there is no way ups is not shipping hazmat. i get stuff from them all the time.
take it in with 1.4 or what ever the class is on the outside and just ship it.....
u can searh here for the markings or google search...print it and package

mike

schutzen
05-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Hey guys the deal is your local UPS Store Front is not a licensed Hazmat shipper. The UPS Terminal has the Hazmat Shipping License. You have to take a Hazmat package to the Terminal.

mike in co
05-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey guys the deal is your local UPS Store Front is not a licensed Hazmat shipper. The UPS Terminal has the Hazmat Shipping License. You have to take a Hazmat package to the Terminal.

as simple as that....

Kirk Miller
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
It's NOT as simple as that. I tried today at the main terminal, and in order to ship primers, the shipper has to be certified and have an acct. with ups.

So unless I can find a certified hazmat shipper here in UT, that would be willing to send these out, I'm screwed.
Kirk

dakotashooter2
05-18-2009, 10:29 PM
I went to the UPS website and after readig through a lot of the matterial was still confused. The problem I see is that much of what is on their site is direct references to federal regulations. In those regulation the term Shipper appears to mean the carrier (UPS). Meanwhile UPS requirements appear to reference the shipper as being the person sending the item. I'm wondering if the people behind the counter are not looking at the federal regulations and assigning those requirements to the person sending the item rather than the carrier (themselves)who would actually be doing the shipping and who the federal regulations appear to be directed at.

pumpguy
05-18-2009, 11:19 PM
At my last job, we shipped out 10-15 packages a day. To my knowledge, UPS never opened up a box and looked at the contents. I'm just saying......

schutzen
05-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Straight from UPS Web Site:

"If you have any questions about shipping hazardous materials with UPS, please call the UPS Hazardous Materials Support Center at 1-800-554-9964."

These guys should be able to help you.

Ron B.
05-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Be careful!
Read the facts, before you act. :Fire:

§ 107.329 Maximum penalties.
(a) A person who knowingly violates a requirement of the Federal hazardous material transportation law, an order issued thereunder, this subchapter, subchapter C of this chapter, or a special permit or approval issued under this subchapter applicable to the transportation of hazardous materials or the causing of them to be transported or shipped is liable for a civil penalty of not more than $50,000 and not less than $250 for each violation, except the maximum civil penalty is $100,000 if the violation results in death, serious illness or severe injury to any person or substantial destruction of property, and a minimum $450 civil penalty applies to a violation relating to training. When the violation is a continuing one, each day of the violation constitutes a separate offense.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=e746f93ccb22109955dbdc2e8e8bab09&rgn=div6&view=text&node=49:2.1.1.1.3.4&idno=49

Lloyd Smale
05-20-2009, 07:06 PM
we decided to shelf this transaction. It was just to compicated.

TDC
05-20-2009, 08:13 PM
I ran into the same HazMat obsticles when I wanted to send primers to Lloyd. It is just about economically unfeasible to legally send small quantities of primers or powders to anyone.

We're approaching the heavy travel season and that will probably be the best opportunity to get difficult to buy components to him. Face to face transfers would be the best option. Anyone passing through Lloyd's home town of Munising, Michigan this summer could certainly deliver components to him as they pass through.

Anyone having components they could share along a travelers route could notify contributors on this board and network with a traveler to have the items delivered to Lloyd.

Just a thought, guys... I know we all wish it could be simpler...

45nut
05-20-2009, 08:24 PM
I know we all wish it could be simpler...

Man, ain't that the truth.

txpete
05-21-2009, 08:35 AM
hmmm kind of funny as I bought primed brass from grafs and no haz-mat was required?????.it came in ups ground and no haz-mat stickers....so primed brass is ok but not just primers??.crazy stuff.
pete

largom
05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
we decided to shelf this transaction. It was just to compicated.

I think this is exactly what the Gov. wanted.
Larry

mike in co
05-21-2009, 08:54 AM
hmmm kind of funny as I bought primed brass from grafs and no haz-mat was required?????.it came in ups ground and no haz-mat stickers....so primed brass is ok but not just primers??.crazy stuff.
pete

yep.....my guess is that individually pacakaged( as in stalled in a brass case) significantly offer much less of a impact detonation hazard.

mike in co

archmaker
05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
I am just thinking out loud.

But if we could do a relay of this stuff it might be fun also too met two people from the board.

Economical, Easy to do, NO, but it sounds crazy enough that I would be willing to drive a few hours to meet someone, pick up the primers or whatever else, and then drive to meet someone else. :) The next weekend.

It is for a good cause :)

SWIAFB
05-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey guys, I posted in Not A Good Day, Guys thread. I work in Ankeny ,Iowa. 10 minutes from the junction of I80 and I35 northbound. I'd be willing to cordinate and pass on towards Lloyd any componets. SWIAFB