PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 x52 Carcano finaly started testing

Nora
05-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I found this sight a couple of months back looking for info for CB's for my grandfathers M91. Thanks to Johnly for the use of his 266469 mold, Buckshot for an awesome job on a sizing die, and the input from the gang here I was finally able to send some CB's down range today. It's storming out today so my shooting was limited to shooting from the kneeling position between rain drops. But I think by the results it's going to be something worth pursuing. I tried two different seating depths, the first was to normal length and the second was seated deeper to the next driving band. Both are crimped to my normal .003. The carbine shoots high and to the right, so I just flipped the target over and used it twice. The squares are 1", and the X's are over raindrops, not holes. For a rush shooting job I'm pleased that it looks like there is hope for the old gun. I somehow shorted myself a round on the second group. It was suppose to be two 6 round clips, not a 5 and a 6 round. Oh well.

The brass could use a little refining as well. The run out on the end of the boolits is a scary .010" for cb's and still .008" for the J word. Granted there is a lot of nose sticking out of the end of the case but still shouldn't be this bad. Next month I'll have to get a neck reamer for my case trimmer and see if that will help a bit to tighten things up.

They aren't the best 11 rounds I've fired, but I'm encouraged that there is hope for some nice tight groups down the way and just wanted to share. :Fire:

Nora

RugerFan
05-16-2009, 11:33 AM
What is the diameter of your 266469 bullets? I have a Carcano Cavalry Carbine with a .268" bore. One day I'll get around to shooting cast out of it, but haven't come across a suitable mould yet (although I do have the "cruise missle" on backorder with Midsouth).

Nora
05-16-2009, 04:59 PM
The mold that I have use of drops them at .269 with straight ww. My sizing die is the same diameter and is just used to add the gc's. I've got a cruise missile on back order as well. No telling when they will have that done.

If you are interested in trying what I've got cast and would cover the postage (I'm not stingy, just on a fixed income) I could send you some to try and see if that style will suite your needs. All that I have done so far are water dropped.

leadhead
05-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Nora,
What mold do you have that drops them at .269?
I sure would like to find one like that. I have the
cruise missle boolit, and it shoots quite well in all
my 6.5 carcano.
Denny

Nora
05-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Nora,
What mold do you have that drops them at .269?

It's a Lyman 266469. I'm not sure if they all cast this size, but this one thankfully does.

Nora