PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger rifle

JW6108
05-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Ho-hum.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Rifle&subtype=Autoloading&famlst=66&variation=10/22® Rimfire

JesterGrin_1
05-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Another Plastic Fantastic :(

9.3X62AL
05-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Two Large for a Mattel Toy??!! Ruger is smoking crack.

JesterGrin_1
05-15-2009, 11:48 PM
lol Mettel Toy I was going to say that but thought how many would get it lol. You proved me wrong lol. :)

6.5 mike
05-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Have we shipped all our walnut trees to china or what? I don't know about anyone else , but I 'm about fed up with all this plastic crap. Don't get me wrong, I have rifles in syn, stocks that I hunt with knowing they may get wet, but this a/r platform thing is getting real old. I carried one in a number of diferent places & wasn't all that impressed with it then. just my .02.

Bret4207
05-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Ya know, I'd love to have something on an AR platform. They're fun. But isn't the market about flooded at this point? Maybe Ruger will do this one right.

MtJerry
05-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Ruger has a following that has been pounding on it's door for years.

Make he Mini-14 with a decent barrel and they would sell MILLIONS more than "just another AR" platform.

Swing and a miss ...

6.5 mike
05-16-2009, 12:58 PM
My mini-14 is a old 180 series with a 1 in 10 twist, shoots anything I stuff in it.

August
05-16-2009, 08:04 PM
You mean to tell me, they can build this rifle, yet they can't produce a New Model Vaquero in 38-40????

Horsefeathers!

Heavy lead
05-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I won't buy one, but not because I don't like AR's, I do, nor because I'm not a Ruger fan, I am, but rather because I just do not need another AR. But I applaud it, mainly for political reasons. AR's are now mainstream, 10-20 years ago you could not say that. I'm glad if only for that reason. Whether anyone likes it or not the AR platform is the new Mauser 98, we will see more and more of them. I'm generally not an auto-rifle fan, but I am an AR fan. I've got two I'll throw money down with any of my bolt guns.

odis
05-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Ho-hum.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Rifle&subtype=Autoloading&famlst=66&variation=10/22® RimfireHuh the old man must be turning in his grave, 30 rd. mags. odis

oldhickory
05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
I for one like it, it uses a gas piston rather than impingement...And why not another AR?:drinks:

GrizzLeeBear
05-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Why buy an AR M4gery when you can buy the new Ruger copy at twice the price? They must be counting on selling them to the guberment.
I don't know what the bean counters are thinking at Ruger (drinking to much tacti-kool aid I guess), but I think they are making a mistake in moving away from making quality steel firearms and finding new ways to make guns out of plastic.

Well, I just came back to this thread and re-read my post. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against AR15's. I shoot one in Highpower Service Rifle (I'm just an Expert trying to make Master). They have become a fantastic platform for this sport in both it's service rifle configuration and in "space-gun" match rifle setups. My box stock DPMS DCM is probably the most accurate rifle I own. I would go so far as to say even with its iron sights, I can shoot it as accurately as any of my scoped rifles.
But what Ruger is selling is an M4gery. Short skinny barrel, rails all over it, definitely aimed at the "tacti-kool" crowd. They even have a picture of a "swat-wanna-be" type in the ad page. I'm just put off by the price, MSRP $1,995. Even if the street price is 1,500 - 1,600 buck its way more money than a comparable M4 from a number of sources.
They talk up the gas piston system, but I have read that system has its share of issues just like any other semi-auto. Not that its bad, its just not the be-all end-all semi-auto system Ruger is hypeing it to be. The one problem it does have is that it IS more expensive.

BD
05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
I agree with HeavyLead. The AR is what a rifle "is" today. The design is nearly 50 years old. It's what we send our soldiers to war around the globe with. I believe it should be part of our childrens education, and accepted as part of our culture. If you wind up in the military after high school, they're not gonna put an 03-A3 in your hands. They sure aren't esthetically pleasing, and they don't foster any emotional attachment, but they work. If we truely want to maintain our right to bear arms, we should be bearing the arms of today.

BD

BPCR Bill
05-27-2009, 07:18 PM
I guess it's all a matter of taste fellas. Yeah, I trained with and carried an AR in the service. It's a good platform for what it's intended for. My passion is for a very good single shot (Sharps, Winchester, etc) or a very nice custom bolt action with very sexy wood added on. M98, M70, M77.
Ruger quit making button rifled barrels and went the way of hammer forging, so that got my goat a bit. I just don't care for plastic firearms, never said I couldn't shoot one. If that's what trips yer chronograph, by all means, get on out there and BUY it! I do have an AR in the gun locker, as well as a Glock or two, a fella has to have a bit of everything!

Regards,
Bill

Jim
05-27-2009, 07:29 PM
I'll pass.

DragoonDrake
05-27-2009, 11:50 PM
I will wait til I get one in and shoot it before I cast my vote.
Adam

JeffinNZ
05-28-2009, 12:10 AM
They are obviously confident that there will be no "assault" rifle restrictions.

What is with the 16 inch barrel? What's that about. More noise. Less velocity.

lead Foot
05-28-2009, 12:25 AM
The Australian government said us law abiding folk can not be trusted to own one of those.:twisted:
Lead foot;

9.3X62AL
05-28-2009, 02:22 AM
My principal objection to the Ruger Stoner Rendition is its price. That's almost 2 Bushmasters'-worth, and almost 3 bolt rifles'-worth.

No objections to the AR-15/M-16, I carried one or the other at work for quite a while. I've never owned one, 'cause my Mini-14s have done well enough for me afield and as service rifles prior to adoption of the Mattel Toys by my old agency. Most of the reason I'd like to have one is to upset the hoplophobic hairballs in Sacramento that have declared The Black Rifles to be verboten. Lots of merit in that attitude, but $1000-$1200 seemed like a lot of cake to spend on irritating idiots--esp. when my current Mini-14 can keep up with most service-grade AR-15s accuracy-wise. Close enough to make spending G Money on shrinking group size 1/2"-3/4" @ 100 yards profoundly ridiculous.

In CA, we can purchase lower units with special mag well adaptations requiring *a tool* to dismount the magazine. Still a non-starter for me.

Leadforbrains
05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
I like ARs. I have three, and I applaud Ruger for going in the other direction from being politically correct, and producing its own Evil Black Rifle. I have seen only one Mini 14 that would hold it's own against an Ar15, and that owner was justifiably proud of it.

hpdrifter
05-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Why did I even look.

You've seen one, you've seen em all.

JW6108
05-30-2009, 11:01 PM
They are obviously confident that there will be no "assault" rifle restrictions.

What is with the 16 inch barrel? What's that about. More noise. Less velocity.

Not sure about the restrictions; which way is the wind blowing now??

The 16 incher seems to be the most popular length going up here; appearance means a lot. You are right about the noise, but the velocity loss is the real kicker. I have a 20" with fixed stock and a 16" with folder; each shoot well, but I prefer the 20" for the extra weight and longer sight radius. The 16" with the stock tucked in IS pretty handy for carrying, so it has its inning as well.